Why cant insulin be main control?

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Back in 1999, Dr Ron Rosdale talked about why chronic excessive insulin is not such a great idea...
http://drrosedale.com/resources/pdf/Insulin and Its Metabolic Effects.pdf

And with regards to insulin resistance, this is the main gist of it...more is not necessarily better...

View attachment 36950

In more recent times, Dr Jason Fung and Amy Berger summarize it as such...
https://insulinresistance.org/index.php/jir/article/view/18/25
I'm new to insulin and keep coming across the term insulin resistant, how does one know if they are insulin resistant?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm new to insulin and keep coming across the term insulin resistant, how does one know if they are insulin resistant?
You'd usually get your fasting insulin levels tested alongside fasting glucose and your level of insulin resistance could be calculated from that. Unfortunately you stand about zero chance of getting it done via the NHS.
Has your c-peptide ever been tested (sorry if you have been asked this before)?

Reactions: Jok11

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

A very high proportion of T2s are insulin resistant. If you make plenty natural insulin, but are unable to utilise it efficiently, that's insulin resistance.

M

Member496333

T2 is pretty much synonymous with pathological insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia. Even someone who has advanced to the stages of insulin deficiency will still be resistant to whatever they still make or eventually end up injecting.

Nothing can be certain without proper testing, but in the absence of this I think anyone with T2 can reasonably assume they are insulin resistant to a fairly large degree. The fact that the NHS still continues to ignore the value of these tests remains my biggest bone of contention with the standard of care. It’s preposterous, putting it politely.