Why can't t2 get a meters n test strips?

slinkimalinki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm T2 and my wife is T1 (pump) we both have meters, mine I bought myself but as my control went south lol I now have to test 4 times a day if I can't get my sugars under control then it's onto insulin , I now get my sticks free
What are you eating? Are you measuring your carbs? The best way to lower your BS is to lower your carb intake. I eat around 17 carbs per day and my numbers have come right down and are steady.

I have no wish to increase medication.

macabee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
People who think Diabetes is 'nothing much to worry about'
I was diagnosed 6 years ago, at that time I was provided with a contour meter with test strips and lancets on prescription. However a couple of weeks ago I was sent a letter by the practice that It was not necessary for me to self test and therefore the repeat test strips and lancets would be removed.

I have argued previously that for me to self test was pro-active and to wait for my HbA1c is in my opinion re-active, I used all the usual arguments and I have come to the decision that as I only test about twice a week I will self fund my own test strips and lancets, I have opted for the SD Codefree which not only cost about a third of the bayer product, for example 50 test strips and 100 lancets cost £11.68 free 2nd class postage, arriving within 48 hours, when I last ordered from bayer [test solution] it took a 4 weeks to arrive!

The letter was sent without even the courtesy of being informed by the DN or my GP of the decision.

It is all about cost saving by the the CCG, as we all know saving pennies to waste pounds!

B

badcat

My practice sends out the same kind of letter every year or so. They are usually unsigned, but I think they always come from the practice manager ( ie someone with precisely no medical training / knowledge and no awareness of individual patients treatment plans)
Every time I get the letter, I have to write back 1) drawing attentionto the fact that under NICE guidance T2 diabetics like myself on gliclazide and similar meds, particularly those of us with poor hypo awareness, must be precsribed blood testing eqpt / supplies due to safety issues and 2) querying whether it is the CCG, the practice doctors or a non medical administrator that is choosing to ignore NICE guidance - I never get an answer to my q but always get my prescptions reinstated