Why can't t2 get a meters n test strips?

sam hunter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there why can't T1 n T2s be all treated the same n give everyone get meters it is our health after all
Ask your nurse for one. I have one and regularly get tested and I have now got on repeat for strips and needles.

Klanky

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had no problems with getting a meter or strips, my doctors just put mine on repeat prescription. You should talk to you doc or consultant

Reactions: 2 people
I'm the same my GP told me that my "diabetes" isn't at the self monitoring stage however I brought one so I can easily check if I have a funny 'turn' better safe then sorry

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I get everything on script.
They were talking of stopping it but I argued my corner and asked .... have you actually read the NHS guidelines?
Before she could answer I spared her any embarrassment by continuing .... it says meters and strips etc shouldn't be prescribed where it has no obvious effect on the persons diabetes.
I'm the best diabetic on their books because I ignore their advice and take my advice and experience from here instead and the results are clear .... having a meter and strips have clearly helped me virtually turn this illness around.

Reactions: 10 people

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all, I hope I find everyone well.
I have just returned from my first appointment with my diabetic nurse.Quite a lot of points covered.Kept my powder dry re LCHF diet.However I have lost 5lbs in the last week without being hungry.Blood pressure is down from 131/90 to 128/84 and my fasting BG this morning was 6.0 after a diagnosis 4 weeks ago of around 9.0. She seemed surprised by this so I asked about test strips on prescription.After all as I asked her "you wouldn't get in a car without a speedo and brakes and just check the fuel consumption and mileage every three months would you?" After a bit of discussion she moved from a no to recommending to my G.P. that in my case it's probably a good idea.She mentioned that some years ago all T2 were given test strips on prescription, many did not use them,and many that did took no action,or became worried by fluctuations.However by the end of our discussion she did basically admit it's all about cost,cost,cost.

Diet was covered as she was quite insistent that I attend my DESMOND course.She helps run it so no surprise then.But after she mentioned that I can still have cake, porridge, and grapes or bananas I am not sure it's a good investment of my time.I steered the conversation round to some aspects of LCHF and she clearly knows about this,but was non committal, although not hostile.

We covered loads of other stuff which I won't bore you with just now.
She did however mention the diabetes.co.uk website as being excellent.Overall she was pleasant and courteous,but clearly this demonstrates that many HCP are constrained by the NHS line and of course budgets.But when pressed will concede between you and me etc there are alternatives.

I for one know I would not have had the confidence and knowledge to politely challenge the established wisdom without many hours reading up here.So knowledge IS power. What really concerns me are the many T2 patients who are unaware of the alternatives to the so called "healthy plate" or will not challenge any doctor or nurse as it is not the thing to do.No wonder T2 patients who tested in the past got stressed or appeared not to be changing things,they were monitoring the end result of wrong advice!!
Finally it is also easy to assume that everyone in our position knows what we are discovering,sadly I fear we are actually a small minority.

Anyway sorry for the length of this post.

Many thanks to all who contribute here.It has been a great help,most especially today.

Cheers.

debdebc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think its a shame that there are not some regulations regarding this, it seems that it depends on the G,P and this is wrong. I am very lucky as having been diagnosed a couple of weeks ago, I have had very positive experiences from both my G.P. and the D.N. They encourage testing as they feel it is the best way to self educate. I would not have an idea as to my health and levels if I was unable to test. It has already been an eye-opener on some 'innocent' foods. One thing I have learnt here is what suits one person does not suit another..another reason to be able to test without worrying about the cost

Last edited by a moderator:

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I told my GP on my second visit that I wanted to take an active roll in monitoring my diabetes had no problem at all monitor strips and lancets, perhaps he's diabetic to ;)

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I was given a meter by my practice and get lancets and strips on prescription from the beginning of diagnosis

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Although I have my own test kit I asked for strips at my last 2 reviews with 2 different nurses - the first one in December last year asked why was I testing because my hba1c was only 42? My response "testing has enabled me to see what foods I can or cannot eat" and the second one this July asked why was I making my fingers sore because at 36 my hba1c is in the non-diabetic range and my control is v good? My response "it's by testing that I've managed to achieve, and maintain, these levels." Whilst they both, somewhat reluctantly, agreed in principle I still didn't get my strips!!

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Although I have my own test kit I asked for strips at my last 2 reviews with 2 different nurses - the first one in December last year asked why was I testing because my hba1c was only 42? My response "testing has enabled me to see what foods I can or cannot eat" and the second one this July asked why was I making my fingers sore because at 36 my hba1c is in the non-diabetic range and my control is v good? My response "it's by testing that I've managed to achieve, and maintain, these levels." Whilst they both, somewhat reluctantly, agreed in principle I still didn't get my strips!!

Do you drive? I couldn't get the strips either. Then I read somewhere about the "Don't drive unless it's 5". I mentioned to the doctor, that how can I know what my BG was, without being able to test & if I had a crash my insurance company wouldn't pay out. The doctor would be responsible as I wasn't allowed to test my BG. I now get my strips on prescription.

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Only if on insulin do you need to test prior to driving ( or regular hypo's whilst on other BG lowering meds ). Otherwise, it doesn't matter if you are below 5.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Only if on insulin do you need to test prior to driving ( or regular hypo's whilst on other BG lowering meds ). Otherwise, it doesn't matter if you are below 5.
But how would you know you were below 5, if you didn't have a meter and strips? I think Eurobuff's strategy sounds like a good idea, if the GP is not aware enough of the difference between people on meds that can cause hypos and those that aren't on those meds. If scaring him or her with legal action gets you the test strips, great :)

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But how would you know you were below 5, if you didn't have a meter and strips? I think Eurobuff's strategy sounds like a good idea, if the GP is not aware enough of the difference between people on meds that can cause hypos and those that aren't on those meds. If scaring him or her with legal action gets you the test strips, great :)
If his/her GP is ignorant of the rules, go for it. I'm just stating the DVLA guidelines. If you're not on insulin, they don't care if you're below 5 so testing isn't required. I'm not suggesting testing isn't a good idea, I just don't want T2's thinking they can wrongly demand test strips and quoting incorrect information.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
If his/her GP is ignorant of the rules, go for it. I'm just stating the DVLA guidelines. If you're not on insulin, they don't care if you're below 5 so testing isn't required. I'm not suggesting testing isn't a good idea, I just don't want T2's thinking they can wrongly demand test strips and quoting incorrect information.
Yeah, as long as people know the info they are using is incorrect, if they can get a GP to agree to prescribing the test strips, that's a win for us. I suspect my GP would see right through it.

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, as long as people know the info they are using is incorrect, if they can get a GP to agree to prescribing the test strips, that's a win for us. I suspect my GP would see right through it.
If quoting incorrect information means you get test strips and a meter, bonus. Just understand it won't work the majority of times.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I checked with the DVLA, about the "don't drive unless it's 5" the person I spoke to said she hadn't heard of it. As long as the doctor says you're fit to drive it's fine by them

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sadly @Patricia21 , no they don't

Its not right and its not fair, especially as the overstretched government purse seems to wish to spend large published funds on gender reassignment operations (lifestyle choices)

Gender dysphoria is a medical condition whereby the brain and body are different genders. This happens due to a hormone imbalance in the womb. It can be tested for and people who have it, go through a lot of counselling, surgery and pain. No way is it a 'lifestyle choice' !!!!

Reactions: 4 people

geemacwilly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gender dysphoria is a medical condition whereby the brain and body are different genders. This happens due to a hormone imbalance in the womb. It can be tested for and people who have it, go through a lot of counselling, surgery and pain. No way is it a 'lifestyle choice' !!!!

I think it is when somebody in there 70’s has gender reassignment surgery. The NHS has enough to pay for