Why Cutting Carbs From Your Diet Is A Bad Move

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I must admit , although not quite as active as you sound , I find that low carbing makes me really tired I tried increasing proteins and fats but it doesn't seem to give the energy that carbs do .I know ,and take note of their lifestyles etc because of my own diabetic state , many type 2 diabetics and the way the condition effects people varies greatly.Some can't eat things like porridge without a spike but i can and yet when it comes to bread arhhhhh mine goes up a lot and that's wholemeal. And I so love bread :(
If i may add another side to the carbs Issue. Before I had Diabetes T2 ,I was a active keep fit fanatic and dependent on carbs. Now I have T2 I no longer a fanatic. However, I do go for one hour daily fast paced walks. I then went on a a Low carb diet and got my fasting mmol/L to 4- 5,and average 8 after meals.

However, I couldn't take a hours walk no longer,as I would feel week,nearly pass out. So I then abandoned the Low Carb diet and went to daily couple of slices of wholegrain bread ,porridge,small portions of wholegrain pasta,baked potatoes etc. I now can walk long periods again.no longer weak,plus my fasting readings have not changed but my non fasting after meals is 10 mmol/L or below.

With the carbs and diabetes issue, I personally think Its down to the Individual and their lifestyles,as we are all different.all lead different lives. Telling the same low carb message to someone who sits at home watching tv all day, to someone who has a physically active job,lifestyle will produce different affects.

I'm very fortunate in this respect.
I find if I play hard, I burn off the carbs, so while I eat sensibly, I find if I'm working hard or playing hard, I can eat carbs as I need to.
But I do agree, if I'm just sitting on the sofa, doing nothing, carbs aren't my friend.
Diet and exercise works for me, others just diet.
Massive difference.

Reactions: 2 people

fene48

I'd say that 9g per 100g is low, isn't it? It's about half the content of ordinary potatoes.
Yup, you are quite right. I forgot to put in 'only'. Should have been "not only low carb, but low GI" as I am a fan of both Carisma and low GI stuff - I put it down to old age!!!!

shoki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If your first post as a newbie is that you would only read a single headline, from one post, then completely change your diet, without even bothering to find out why cutting carbs is bad for you, I would suggest you spend a lot more time deciding what it is you want to achieve from this site.

It is it is full of useful information, but you do have to invest in it, and spend time improving your diet, as you owe it to yourself.

I would also suggest, if you think a single line would put you off, look at both the benefits, and the downsides, and contra indications of low carb before undertaking it, as, while it does help BG, it isn't the way for everyone.

If you post and ask for advice, there is a course I believe, (I've not read it) suggested by the site, which does advise why it isn't suitable for all, but suggests a good way to proceed if you believe it will suit you.
Thank you SunnyExpat. Actually I have been reading posts on different fora for a few days now with great interest, and have come to the conclusion that a large number of members know far more about diabetes management than most diabetes nurses and GPs. For instance, a nurse insisted that HbA1c is NOT average bg over the past 2-3 months, and the GP made a sweeping statement that I would never get my HbA1c down to 47 which I said I would initially aim for (it was 51 at the time of the appointment). Also, how do members list so many frequent results (e.g. every 3 months or so) whereas I have been told that I can only have just 1 annual test?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Mind you if any one actually had read the article and then scrolled down to the comments they may have found this.

"This article is packed full of unsupported dogma that bears no relation to the mass of properly researched evidence to the contrary. The body does not burn carbs "as its main source of readily available energy" - they are burnt off as a priority since in excess they are toxic, in the same way that alcohol is burnt off as an even greater priority over carbs. All of the glucose requirements for our bodies can be catered for by gluconeogenesis in the liver, without the ingestion of a single carb. This guy has not come close to passing his Nutrition 101!"

And this

"What a pile of ****......!! Haven't read such nonsense in a long time.....!!"

Reactions: ickihun

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mind you if any one actually had read the article and then scrolled down to the comments they may have found this.

"This article is packed full of unsupported dogma that bears no relation to the mass of properly researched evidence to the contrary. The body does not burn carbs "as its main source of readily available energy" - they are burnt off as a priority since in excess they are toxic, in the same way that alcohol is burnt off as an even greater priority over carbs. All of the glucose requirements for our bodies can be catered for by gluconeogenesis in the liver, without the ingestion of a single carb. This guy has not come close to passing his Nutrition 101!"

And this

"What a pile of ****......!! Haven't read such nonsense in a long time.....!!"

No. utter rubbish.
Tell the people what they want to hear.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
To be honest I do not believe every thing I read not even here. Critical thinking and reading must come in to it some where.

If you cant think for your self and separate out the wheat from the chaff how are you to make sense out of anything.

In many counties critical thinking is taught in schools but not it seems in the UK until you get into further education such as degree level courses this is a pity I think.

JenniferG

I suppose with myself I haven't stuck to low carbing for long ..I tend to try for a few days that feel like weeks ;) So I should really stick it out for longer ..my 17 yr old daughter thinks that I am a carb addict she could be right cos I crave them :rolleyes:
I used to eat bags of chips in one setting, ice cream, snack crackers, lots of sandwiches, on and on.. morbidly obese at over 400 pounds. So yeah I loved me some carbs! Majorly addicted. But since I have been on a low carb very high fat diet (70% of diet is fat) it's working wonders for me.. I haven't spiked over 140 mg/dL in like forever.. used to be over 300 mg/dL all the time. I no longer crave any carbs believe it or not. Even easier since my insulin levels are down because I only eat in a 6 hour window each day.. the other 18 hours are a fast. I never feel any hunger any time of the day. LCHF was challenging only for like the first couple days.. after 40 days of that I started the 18:6 LCHF (intermittent fasting low carb hi fat diet) .. the first 3 days of that were rough, but homemade chicken broth fixed that .. after 3 days.. no hunger ever. I have a new relationship with food. All emotions that were tied to it are almost gone. When I eat after an 18 fast.. I tend to do it quite slowly actually because I'm not very hungry. I feel like I stuff myself in that 6 hour window, with a 3 pounds per week weight loss diet. In reality I could probably very easily go another 24 or 48 hours without eating and never be hungry.. It's so interesting. My body happily burns fat. But for now I am just keeping it at 18 hours fast per day because I need to take some meds with food each day like Metformin and some others.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
If your first post as a newbie is that you would only read a single headline, from one post, then completely change your diet, without even bothering to find out why cutting carbs is bad for you, I would suggest you spend a lot more time deciding what it is you want to achieve from this site.

It is it is full of useful information, but you do have to invest in it, and spend time improving your diet, as you owe it to yourself.

I would also suggest, if you think a single line would put you off, look at both the benefits, and the downsides, and contra indications of low carb before undertaking it, as, while it does help BG, it isn't the way for everyone.

If you post and ask for advice, there is a course I believe, (I've not read it) suggested by the site, which does advise why it isn't suitable for all, but suggests a good way to proceed if you believe it will suit you.

I've followed the forum's course and found it a nice, gentle intro to LC:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but the one that has almost never failed for the first month is the Atkins diet. This is because it limits the intake of sugar and carbohydrates.

I agree with you that fad yo-yo diets don't work but if you can make the eating habits into a new lifestyle then that may endure. By the way, why are you talking about slimming diets when most of the people on here wish to control their blood sugar for health reasons?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with you that fad yo-yo diets don't work but if you can make the eating habits into a new lifestyle then that may endure. By the way, why are you talking about slimming diets when most of the people on here wish to control their blood sugar for health reasons?
I think if you look at Atkins Mark 2 diet plan, then it is very close to LCHF but formalised and pre-packaged for all to use. It is recognised as being suitable for diabetes glucose control, but is still marketed primarily as a weight loss program. It suffers badly from prejudices formed when the Atkins Mark 1 diet was in place, since that had less effect on bgl and was essemtially Low Fat so did not provide the same level of support for ketosis that LCHF provides. They re-wrote the plan when Atkins died

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but is still marketed primarily as a weight loss program.

I shall still regard it as being touted on the wrong web site then since this is primarily a site for people with health issues and not one for arguing the relative qualities of slimming diets.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I shall still regard it as being touted on the wrong web site then since this is primarily a site for people with health issues and not one for arguing the relative qualities of slimming diets.
Following your argument then I say that the LCHF thread should ban any mention of weight control and we should flag any such incursion as being 'off topic'?
Sorry, I disagree with your argument here since losing weight and adipose tissue is often an essential component for bgl control. Flogging commercial adjuncts to a diet plan is rightly frowned upon, but the diet threads often discuss the merits of pre packaged snack bars etc and often include a warning not to waste money, and so become valid commentary on this site. I have never dpne Atkins or in fact any diet plan until recently, but I did research on them as part of my own journey. Some work some of the time, but there is not really any one that provides all the answers for all of the people. I have found one that has worked for me for over a year now, so I am a happy bunny, and my HCP team are well chuffed too. I have reduced my meds and am one click away from being declared 'resolved'. My cholesterol has reduced and my B12 is fine. No AKI and my liver is functioning ok. I have dropped more than 2 stone and lost 4" off my belt line.As I say it works for me.