Why did my blood sugar drop

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello

So I had a smoothie of 1/2 small avocado 2 handfulls spinach 1 medjool date a little milk and some water. Pretty yummy and creamy actually. But my blood sugar went from 5.5 before it to 4.7 , 2 hours after it. I'm not used to seeing a drop after food lol

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi there. There is a small margin within readings. You found something that didn't raise your bg, have the same again at a later date and test again. If you see that there is another acceptable difference then you know that it is likely to be considered as one of your 'safe' meals. Good work.

Reactions: coleyd

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you. I have been testing like mad recently lol. Running out of lancets though now. Lol. I'm really hoping for a normal hba1c next time as I will be pulling back from the every 6 months bloods if I manage it ☺

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I have been testing like mad recently lol. Running out of lancets though now. Lol. I'm really hoping for a normal hba1c next time as I will be pulling back from the every 6 months bloods if I manage it ☺

Many of us use lancets several times over. I change mine when I start a new cartridge of 50 strips - or when it stops drawing blood or begins to hurt more. I'm not suggesting you do this, it is a personal decision, but it is worth thinking about if you are running out.

Reactions: coleyd

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for the info. Would that work on the click pen style lancets ?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that smoothies make my blood glucose rise faster than eating the food as it was, so at 2 hours my BG is on the way down, as the spike was some time before that.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I find that smoothies make my blood glucose rise faster than eating the food as it was, so at 2 hours my BG is on the way down, as the spike was some time before that.

I don't know if that happened as it only had 1 date in it and no other fruit

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

You will have had a rise before you dropped, but the fact you dropped by the 2 hour mark is good. Perhaps next time you try it test at an hour as well as the 2 hour mark, just to see what happens.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You will have had a rise before you dropped, but the fact you dropped by the 2 hour mark is good. Perhaps next time you try it test at an hour as well as the 2 hour mark, just to see what happens.

Yes that's a good idea thank you I will . I'm struggling with potassium intake so added this smoothie to help

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The date, as a dried fruit is probably about 70 percent carbohydrate - so equivalent to my breakfast in carbs, but presented as a drink. Avocado is 9 percent carbs, there would have been carbs in the milk and the spinach - not a lot, but all in an easily absorbed state.
I know it can seem unfair that so much of what is 'healthy' also comes with carbs - but that is the current state of affairs, where foods with high carb contents are presented as selected for sweetness - I noticed an advert for peas which pointed out how sweet they were to make then specially desirable.