Why Do I Feel So Sick In the Mornings

AMRROL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Newbie here. Type 2, on insulin pump with Insuman Infusat. Anyway, for years now, I wake up several times a night and my blood sugars are in the normal range and I feel OK. But when I wake up in the morning, I feel so sick. Kind of a cross between a flu and a hangover. After a few hours, it eases up and I feel normal again. I am curious what causes this. I am so confused. Why do I wake up feeling so ill only to feel better about 2 hours later when my blood sugars rise to an unacceptable level?

I do suffer from dawn phenomenon. Example, when I woke up my reading was 6.4; took my bolus of 9 units, then 30 minutes later my reading was 8.4; I had a piece of toast with butter for breakfast and reading went up to 12.8

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm not on a pump but MDI and I get that when my bgs have been running higher for a while and then I am in the middle of reducing to good levels.
Like a hangover.
I feel hugely better in 9s but I think my body has had so many 9s that it feels 9s is normal.
After a month or so on constant lower bgs if goes away, for me.

Reactions: AMRROL

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Newbie here. Type 2, on insulin pump with Insuman Infusat. Anyway, for years now, I wake up several times a night and my blood sugars are in the normal range and I feel OK. But when I wake up in the morning, I feel so sick. Kind of a cross between a flu and a hangover. After a few hours, it eases up and I feel normal again. I am curious what causes this. I am so confused. Why do I wake up feeling so ill only to feel better about 2 hours later when my blood sugars rise to an unacceptable level?

I do suffer from dawn phenomenon. Example, when I woke up my reading was 6.4; took my bolus of 9 units, then 30 minutes later my reading was 8.4; I had a piece of toast with butter for breakfast and reading went up to 12.8
Toast is the worse breakfast for insulin resistance and as a time which IR is st its worst.
If you change from toast prepare for a hypo if no reduction of insulin thou.
I'm unexperienced in pumps.
I'll tag @catapillar. whose has great experience and knowledge.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So you feel ill, even though your BG levels are OK in the morning?

That is strange.......

I definitely feel tired and groggy pretty much every morning and this is likely down to not enough sleep.....maybe it could be lack of sleep for you....when you wake up at night, do you get back to sleep quickly....?

Your dawn phenomenon seems strange as you are waking up at a a decent level.......It sounds more just like your insulin/carb ratio may be wrong, as you need to accommodate the higher resistance in the mornings......what is your ratio?

AMRROL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So you feel ill, even though your BG levels are OK in the morning?

That is strange.......

I definitely feel tired and groggy pretty much every morning and this is likely down to not enough sleep.....maybe it could be lack of sleep for you....when you wake up at night, do you get back to sleep quickly....?

Your dawn phenomenon seems strange as you are waking up at a a decent level.......It sounds more just like your insulin/carb ratio may be wrong, as you need to accommodate the higher resistance in the mornings......what is your ratio?

I think you are right. Seeing my endo today and will discuss. Even if I eat just an egg in the morning and no carbs, and take my 9 unit bolus, my bg still rises all morning until mid afternoon. So very strange. I take so much insulin as it is already. My basal is 3.2 units an hour or 76.80 units a day. My pre-meal boluses are 24.50 units. In total, I take 101.30 units of insulin every 24 hours. That is a lot of insulin to take and still have such high numbers.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think you are right. Seeing my endo today and will discuss. Even if I eat just an egg in the morning and no carbs, and take my 9 unit bolus, my bg still rises all morning until mid afternoon. So very strange. I take so much insulin as it is already. My basal is 3.2 units an hour or 76.80 units a day. My pre-meal boluses are 24.50 units. In total, I take 101.30 units of insulin every 24 hours. That is a lot of insulin to take and still have such high numbers.

That does seem like a lot of insulin, but seeing as your type 2, there will likely be increased resistance anyway.....

The Dawn Phenomenon will continue to push up your BG at least, in theory, until you break the fast and get something digesting.....so it should be coming down if you are eating something.....

have you done any recent basal tests in the morning....?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seeing my endo today and will discuss.

Could you maybe bring up whether your endo feels it a good idea to keep on forcing insulin into a body that is already insulin resistant?
I have no idea about insulin amounts but there is a current school of thought that if you have insulin resistance then injecting more into your body might not be such a great idea.
There are a number of video presentations by Dr Jason Fung, a Canadian nephrologist, who has an alternative approach for Type 2's. Just a thought.
The videos are available here

https://idmprogram.com/videos/