Why do I have to pay to be normal?

Dana_Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Going on for 10 years (since diagnosed at 7), I've been bullied the majority of my life for having diabetes. I don't really understand why- I assume it's just because I'm different, but now it's got to a point where I just take it.
Don't get me wrong, sometimes I will say something when I feel it's getting out of hand, but I'm more so defensive when teachers make comments.
"Don't do your blood test in class"
*queue massive argument about the risks involved in that*
"You should do that in the toilets"
*queue massive argument about how unhygienic it is*
"You've dropped your test strip on the floor!"
*explanation that I haven't actually used the strip yet*

Anyway, there's this blood tester I've seen. And I've never ever wanted something so much in my life before. You don't have to prick your finger for it!!

I think it's a Freestyle Libre/ Libro and I phoned just about everyone telling them about it.

But asking around and doing an excessive amount of research has made me realise that money is always going to be an issue.

Why the hell is the machine so expensive?! Why are the 2 week thingies so expensive?!

I want to be normal. I don't want to feel like I have to hide away every single day for fear of what someone's going to say.

Will these meters ever be free?

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
You could try signing this petition, and getting everyone you know to do it. Who knows, the government might listen, but personally, I'm dubious, unless the manufacturers are a big Tory Party donor.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/151064

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bullies will find any reason to bully. I'm sure if they're that stupid and insecure, they'll make comments about a Libre too. I know it's easy to say, but ignore them. Bullies bully people because of their own insecurities and feelings of inadequacy. Don't react, stay calm and answer coolly or just ignore them.

Your teachers should understand about what you need to do to look after yourself properly. If it's particular teachers causing you problems, try having a polite word with them telling them that their comments are making you feel singled out. Sometimes they think they're being helpful by commenting, but explain you just want to be left alone in peace to get on with things and can manage by yourself.

Remember - you're already normal :) We're all individuals, diabetic or not, and you're just as normal as anyone else. Stand proud :)

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Hi Dana,please don't get upset,I've lived T1 for nearly 55 years and I've been quite successful in life I was a main board director for a international construction company and traveled the world,I've had 'hypos' in main board meeting.It is people's ignorance of diabetes.I used to take time to explain my diabetes and nine times out ten the problems stopped.Keep your chin up you can achieve anything in life that you want too.Good Luck.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Going on for 10 years (since diagnosed at 7), I've been bullied the majority of my life for having diabetes. I don't really understand why- I assume it's just because I'm different, but now it's got to a point where I just take it.
Don't get me wrong, sometimes I will say something when I feel it's getting out of hand, but I'm more so defensive when teachers make comments.

Anyway, there's this blood tester I've seen. And I've never ever wanted something so much in my life before. You don't have to prick your finger for it!!

I think it's a Freestyle Libre/ Libro and I phoned just about everyone telling them about it.

But asking around and doing an excessive amount of research has made me realise that money is always going to be an issue.

Why the hell is the machine so expensive?! Why are the 2 week thingies so expensive?!

I want to be normal. I don't want to feel like I have to hide away every single day for fear of what someone's going to say.

Sorry you're having such a rough time at the moment. All I can add to what others have said is that I understand Abbott are going through the various hoops, moving towards approval for the Libre. Once that has been achieved I feel confident NICE will be lobbied from all angles to allow it on prescription. However, sadly, these things all take time.

Reactions: Freema

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Do you know how wonderful you are?
Never forget your worth and how important you are to society. Without @Dana_Heath and all the other Dana_heaths we would have no society, human race nor wonderful human beings.
Thankyou for being you.
I appreciate you.
When others don't it is a shame. Shame for them. They are missing out on a wonderful friend (poster) and fellow man/woman. ;)

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know it's expensive but one day we all hope it will be funded on the NHS. You still have to finger prick if it reads hypo - high
But for now don't let anyone get to you, you are stronger than the bullies and you should be proud of everything you achieve in life.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Do you know how wonderful you are?
Never forget your worth and how important you are to society. Without @Dana_Heath and all the other Dana_heaths we would have no society, human race nor wonderful human beings.
Thankyou for being you.
I appreciate you.
When others don't it is a shame. Shame for them. They are missing out on a wonderful friend (poster) and fellow man/woman. ;)

A brilliant post and I concur with ickihun, you are you and a very worthwhile human being, be proud of all you that you do :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Teachers?
Just quote Woody Allen back at 'em.. "Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, teach gym".

But tell them it's Shakespeare..?! They won't know any different. ;)

Dana_Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for your help- and that petition I have shared as much as I can and everyone is saying they'll sign it! And @Jaylee the irony is I'm on an adventure sports class so they do teach sport

Reactions: JohnEGreen and slip

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I don't want to feel like I have to hide away every single day for fear of what someone's going to say.
Hi Dana, sorry to hear that the people around you are idiots, sadly there's nothing we can do about that except ignore them, they really aren't worth worrying about.
Sadly, it is all about money, I paid for my own Libre but the running cost is too much really, so it's the good old fashioned way for me most of the time.
Take care.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Humma

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type1 48 years diafnosed age 13.......Because every thing about Ttpe1 diabetis is expensive thats why i believe there is no cure to many people makin to much money.
Boston, MA The global cost of diabetes is now 825 billion dollars per year, according to the largest ever study of diabetes levels across the world.
The research, which was led by scientists from Imperial College London, and involved Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, the World Health Organization, and nearly 500 researchers across the globe, incorporated data from 4.4 million adults in most of the world’s countries. The research team has also created interactive maps and other visuals that show the data for each country, and how they compare to each other.But with your problems theres only one way to deal with that...............
mike.jpg

Fox1001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Don't be afraid of bullies, they act this way to cover up their own insecurities, see them for what they are, mixed up insecure and in need of attention.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The bigger issue is the way that you are being treated by your teachers. If that wasn't happening you wouldn't have your issue with testing / injecting. You need to speak to your teacher and say that your blood testing and injecting is simply essential to keep you safe. You know the protocols re sharps / disposal because you have to live with this condition all day every day. Point out that comments are drawing attention to you when you would prefer to discretely get on with what you have to do. Ask this person to desist in making these comments and be prepared to complain to their line manager if it does not stop. If you do not feel comfortable / confident enough to do this verbally, then write a letter of complaint, initially to the teacher themselves, then to the head of course / head of year or whoever else seems to be the right person.

The issue about cost of treatment is a difficult one. With so many people living with so many chronic conditions with expensive treatment regimes, as well as modern expensive treatments for many things like cancer etc, the likelihood of every technology and every possible treatment option for every person is never going to happen, with finite resources. The real issue is the ignorance / insensitivity of your teacher and, perhaps with the support of your parents, this is what you should tackle.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I suspect you are bullied more for your intelligence than having diabetes. The diabetes is only an excuse for the bullies.

I agree with Contralto regarding this statement.
Hi @Dana_Heath, how are you ?