Why does BG go up when not eating anything?

Mamamoose

Hi - I'm trying to do the LCHF thing which is working well so far (only a week into it but my BG has come down already. I've even had two 5.8 readings which is the lowest I've ever had.). I'm testing before and 2 hours after meals and today I ate lunch late at 3pm, BG was 6.6 before and 6.6 two hours after. Was finally hungry around 8.45pm and my BG was 8.4! I hadn't had any food since the late lunch but had felt quite ill very suddenly around 5.30pm - dizzy, nauseous and very cold. I had to put my coat on indoors - unheard of for me as I'm always hot - and had a lie down and a nap for an hour and a half. I felt much better after that. Could this be the reason for the BG being higher than three hours previously? It ruined my average for the day! :)

I had this happen once before when I was first diagnosed two years ago and I was hardly eating anything in an effort to get my levels down. It seemed the less I ate the higher the levels went. In fact that was what made me give up on trying to sort it and put my head in the sand for the following two years! I wondered if it might be that today it was over 5 hours since lunch? Not that I understand how that works. Is this common for levels to rise even though not eating? Thanks

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi - I'm trying to do the LCHF thing which is working well so far (only a week into it but my BG has come down already. I've even had two 5.8 readings which is the lowest I've ever had.). I'm testing before and 2 hours after meals and today I ate lunch late at 3pm, BG was 6.6 before and 6.6 two hours after. Was finally hungry around 8.45pm and my BG was 8.4! I hadn't had any food since the late lunch but had felt quite ill very suddenly around 5.30pm - dizzy, nauseous and very cold. I had to put my coat on indoors - unheard of for me as I'm always hot - and had a lie down and a nap for an hour and a half. I felt much better after that. Could this be the reason for the BG being higher than three hours previously? It ruined my average for the day! :)

I had this happen once before when I was first diagnosed two years ago and I was hardly eating anything in an effort to get my levels down. It seemed the less I ate the higher the levels went. In fact that was what made me give up on trying to sort it and put my head in the sand for the following two years! I wondered if it might be that today it was over 5 hours since lunch? Not that I understand how that works. Is this common for levels to rise even though not eating? Thanks

Hmm I'm a bit new at this as well. Did you test your BG when you felt dizzy/cold? This could give a clue as to what's happening? I know if you don't eat and your BG dips low, when you do eat your BG does go higher than it would have done (it does with me anyway). Also if you've just started cutting out the carbs you could be going into ketosis, this happened with me at the start, I felt cold, and had flu like symptoms? I cut the carbs out a bit quick at first and I think that was the reason. Could there be any other reason for your symptoms eg could you be coming down with the flu? That could give you higher BG readings?