Type 2 why does my BSL rise after hard work or exercising or sometimes overnight

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
hello I was wondering why does my BSL rise after I do exercising or hard work or sometines overnight I am not sure if it is when I am eating that might cause this issue or something else for instance the other day I tested my BSL it was 6.1 I had eaten about 3 hours before so thought I be ok I then did some hard work for about an hour I then tested my BSL after but it had risen to 10 why does this happen. I am also trying to do LCHF diet and that morning I had eaten 2 boiled eggs 5 strawberries 1/4 avocado and a small piece of Havarti cheese and was feeling ok. I am currently on 30 mg Diamicron and 100mg Juniva that I take daily in the mornings. thanks

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
It's rather typical. It's the flight or fight response to intense activity. The liver releases glucose into the blood stream in response to the demands of intense activity. It's a natural process.

I can't comment on the drugs.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hello I was wondering why does my BSL rise after I do exercising or hard work or sometines overnight I am not sure if it is when I am eating that might cause this issue or something else for instance the other day I tested my BSL it was 6.1 I had eaten about 3 hours before so thought I be ok I then did some hard work for about an hour I then tested my BSL after but it had risen to 10 why does this happen. I am also trying to do LCHF diet and that morning I had eaten 2 boiled eggs 5 strawberries 1/4 avocado and a small piece of Havarti cheese and was feeling ok. I am currently on 30 mg Diamicron and 100mg Juniva that I take daily in the mornings. thanks
Hi
2 things are most likely here and they are nothing to do wth food:
Glucose spikes can occur when you are exercising intensely as your body responds to the muscles' need for fuel. With less intense exercise, the muscles use the glucose (glycogen) they have stored so this is a great way to reduce blood glucose after a meal.
High intensity is also good though for fat loss and cardio fitness and the blood sugar spike should not last long as your insulin will act to get the fuel from the blood into the muscles during and after the session.
Re overnight, many diabetics get a spike in insulin called the Dawn Phenonmenom wherein your hormones react
to the dawn and encourage a rise in blood sugars. I think this glucose is released by the liver but I stand to be corrected.
Again it is not necessarily a problem but if this is you, I'd definitely stick to LCHF for breakfast and beyond and keep reducing your insulin resistance. I believe the drugs you are taking reduce the production of glucose from the liver.
If your HBA1c s are reducing this is the best available indicator that overall you are achieving this such that you won't need to increase the drugs.

Reactions: annabell1

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You might try resistive training rather than cardio, this uses up glycogen in the muscles so that (by the glut4 mechanism) the muscles 'pull in' more glucose from the bloodstream. It's worth a go.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @annabell1, I get the same thing.
My doctor told me that adrenaline is released when we exercise strongly no matter what our BSL is, and adrenaline influences the liver to release glucose.
It also happens if I watch a scary or exciting movie!!

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Hi
2 things are most likely here and they are nothing to do wth food:
Glucose spikes can occur when you are exercising intensely as your body responds to the muscles' need for fuel. With less intense exercise, the muscles use the glucose (glycogen) they have stored so this is a great way to reduce blood glucose after a meal.
High intensity is also good though for fat loss and cardio fitness and the blood sugar spike should not last long as your insulin will act to get the fuel from the blood into the muscles during and after the session.
Re overnight, many diabetics get a spike in insulin called the Dawn Phenonmenom wherein your hormones react
to the dawn and encourage a rise in blood sugars. I think this glucose is released by the liver but I stand to be corrected.
Again it is not necessarily a problem but if this is you, I'd definitely stick to LCHF for breakfast and beyond and keep reducing your insulin resistance. I believe the drugs you are taking reduce the production of glucose from the liver.
If your HBA1c s are reducing this is the best available indicator that overall you are achieving this such that you won't need to increase the drugs.

ok thanks I was worried it was the food so basically I shouldn't be concerned about it and hopefully as I continue on this journey of LCHF it will improve? also I use to take 60mg of diamicron but my endocrinologist said to cut it in half if I follow this WOE so I thought maybe that may have also been the case that I had cut back on my dose. I don't see my endo until next month so appreciate your response. so thank you for you answer.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
You might try resistive training rather than cardio, this uses up glycogen in the muscles so that (by the glut4 mechanism) the muscles 'pull in' more glucose from the bloodstream. It's worth a go.

i use to do cross fit sort of exercise a few years ago which incorporated weight lifting but my BSL did the same admittedly I never ate before as it was early morning but thought it was because I hadn't eaten for the spike as I only took my meds with food. will look back into doing this again. thank you

Reactions: Guzzler

ivan 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just exercise and do not worry.Sooner or later we get one more health condition unrelated to diabetes and only then we realise
spikes after exercise were nothing to worry about.But people are not too wise unless something really bad happens.I tested BG several times a day always under stress about the results, then I was diagnosed Myasthenia gravis and on steroids now.
In a word, stay happy and exercise as much as you can, and do not test BG after the exercise.

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
I have been on the LC diet for over 6 months and doing strenuous weight-lifting over the same period. As my weight has come down (now by 25 lbs) my BG spikes after exercise have also come down. The level would go from about 6.5 to over 10 in 1 hour of exercise but back down very quickly. The long term affect which is much more accurate a measure is that my A1Cs went from 9.7 in Feb 2018 (no diet, no exercise) to 6.9 in Feb 2019. Most of that drop has occurred during a year when my insulin went from 30 units per day to 68 units per day (last June) to zero in December. Stay with the diet, keep up the exercise and if you want get prayer as well.:)

Adm_Mad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was only diagnosed Monday and yesterday (Thursday) was my first full day with a monitor. Both yesterday and today my glucose when I woke up in the morning was in the mid 8’s after being 6.5 yesterday night and 9.0 the night before.

I had been wondering about stress raising it and the 9 proved it. It had been 6.9, but then I dropped a sheet of my birth control pills behind my bed and they fell in the worst place possible, and I had to empty my big underbed drawer, pull it out, retrieve the pills, and put the drawer back on its tracks which is not an easy thing to do by yourself as it’s so long and big. I was pretty irritated after so did another test and yep my glucose had spiked.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Adm_Mad, a stress or irritation and exercise associated with it will raise my BSL !!
My understanding is that sudden stress (surprise upset, sudden irritation, watching a movie thriller( or horror)!
, exercise, especially during an upset causes release of adrenaline - which in turn causes our liver to release
some glucose, for what is usually called the fright or fight reaction.
If you have a sabre-toothed tiger after you, you need the energy from the extra glucose to run,
or make a stand and fight !!
Fortunately these days the threats are more in the shape of ex-boyfriends and the like !!
If our pancreas gland and insulin therein is not functioning well enough, insulin arrives too late or in
insufficient amounts to deal with the extra glucose in our blood.

Adm_Mad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@kitedoc OMFG, watching horror movies can raise it???? I can cut sugar, but I'm not sure I can cut horror. Oh god.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Even a tear-jerker or a thriller can do it !! Comedy is the least adrenergic !!!

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
After exercise....particularly strenuous exercise the body releases glucose for instant use(fight or flight phenomenon)
Upon waking.....search dawn phenomenon

AKANanaCG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sit ups
I learn something new from you guys every day. Thanks

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Just exercise and do not worry.Sooner or later we get one more health condition unrelated to diabetes and only then we realise
spikes after exercise were nothing to worry about.But people are not too wise unless something really bad happens.I tested BG several times a day always under stress about the results, then I was diagnosed Myasthenia gravis and on steroids now.
In a word, stay happy and exercise as much as you can, and do not test BG after the exercise.
thank you for your reply I haven't logged on here for a while so only saw your reply today. I saw my endocrinologist recently who told me the same and that its stress related as well.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
After exercise....particularly strenuous exercise the body releases glucose for instant use(fight or flight phenomenon)
Upon waking.....search dawn phenomenon
thank you I only just logged in today so only saw your reply I also asked my endocrinologist she said the same and the morning levels she said it was my liver producing glucose which spikes my BSL? if it continues I have to go back 60mg of diamocron but to monitor over a few weeks see how it goes.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
I have been on the LC diet for over 6 months and doing strenuous weight-lifting over the same period. As my weight has come down (now by 25 lbs) my BG spikes after exercise have also come down. The level would go from about 6.5 to over 10 in 1 hour of exercise but back down very quickly. The long term affect which is much more accurate a measure is that my A1Cs went from 9.7 in Feb 2018 (no diet, no exercise) to 6.9 in Feb 2019. Most of that drop has occurred during a year when my insulin went from 30 units per day to 68 units per day (last June) to zero in December. Stay with the diet, keep up the exercise and if you want get prayer as well.:)
thank you this is what My endo also said this as well so so hearing how well you are doing is giving me hope. now to get back to diet I had been going ok but recently lost the plot so need to get back on this WOE I sort of lost the plot recently so need to get back into doing LCHF again.