Why does my level drop

Steveg1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi my blood sugar was 8.5 in the morning then I had breakfast in 2 hour it was 6.5 I thought it would be higher than 8.5

Steveg1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Few blueberries few strawberries few black grape with Greek yourgurt also 2 eggs omelette with red pepper and red chilli and chopped kale bottle of water

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been trying to understand my blood sugar response so I started testing frequently. Today my fasting was 5.1 at 6am. It rose to 5.8 two hours later still fasting. I ate breakfast (omelette with spinachsnd chilies, pinto beans and some tomatoes with olive oil and basil, plus a decaf coffee with a bit of milk) and my blood sugar rose 7.1 at 30 minutes. It then dropped to 6.1 at 1hr and 5.4 at 2 hours. I think the quick rise was the milk in the coffee. Even with the beans (about a cup), my blood sugar was at or below the late fasting level at two hours.

Between waking and two hours after breakfast, it moved up and down quite a bit. If I only tested waking and two hours after eating, I would only have seen the rise from 5.1 to 5.4.

Last edited:

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been trying to understand my blood sugar response so I started testing frequently. Today my fasting was 5.1 at 6am. It rose to 5.8 two hours later still fasting. I ate breakfast (omelette with spinachsnd chilies, pinto beans and some tomatoes with olive oil and basil, plus a decaf coffee with a bit of milk) and my blood sugar rose 7.1 at 30 minutes. It then dropped to 6.1 at 1hr and 5.4 at 2 hours. I think the quick rise was the milk in the coffee. Even with the beans (about a cup), my blood sugar was at or below the late fasting level at two hours.

Between waking and two hours after breakfast, it moved up and down quite a bit. If I only tested waking and two hours after eating, I would only have seen the rise from 5.1 to 5.4.
I've been wondering the same thing. I read somewhere that in those of us with an impaired reaction to glucose, the initial spike can happen early, like 30 mins instead of 1 hr because our insulin response is slow. After eating chickpeas myself, I would suspect pinto beans to be what gave a spike here, but milk could add to it for sure depending on the quantity. Cream in coffee instead of milk might help.
The 5.8 you got after further fasting is probably the liver letting out more of its stores to get you moving in the morning, aka dawn phenomenon.

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been wondering the same thing. I read somewhere that in those of us with an impaired reaction to glucose, the initial spike can happen early, like 30 mins instead of 1 hr because our insulin response is slow. After eating chickpeas myself, I would suspect pinto beans to be what gave a spike here, but milk could add to it for sure depending on the quantity. Cream in coffee instead of milk might help.
The 5.8 you got after further fasting is probably the liver letting out more of its stores to get you moving in the morning, aka dawn phenomenon.

Next time I eat beans as my only significant carb, I will check at 30 minutes instead of the usual hour. I’ll do the same next time I have some milk in my coffee without food. It was a small amount of milk 2%, but a fair amount of beans. Usually when I eat beans the rise at 1 hour is small. I hadn’t checked beans at 30 min before. I thought it was probably the milk due to the lactose sugar.

I started checking at 1hr instead of just 2 hrs because usually at 2 hrs the spike and sometimes the complete rise is gone. For really simple carbs the rise seems to be at 30 min and then a quick drop much closer to starting.

I am still uncertain whether fats like cream and butter are a friend or enemy. Fat in place of carbs keeps blood sugar from spiking, but at the same time saturated fats seem to contribute to insulin resistance.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Next time I eat beans as my only significant carb, I will check at 30 minutes instead of the usual hour. I’ll do the same next time I have some milk in my coffee without food. It was a small amount of milk 2%, but a fair amount of beans. Usually when I eat beans the rise at 1 hour is small. I hadn’t checked beans at 30 min before. I thought it was probably the milk due to the lactose sugar.

I started checking at 1hr instead of just 2 hrs because usually at 2 hrs the spike and sometimes the complete rise is gone. For really simple carbs the rise seems to be at 30 min and then a quick drop much closer to starting.

I am still uncertain whether fats like cream and butter are a friend or enemy. Fat in place of carbs keeps blood sugar from spiking, but at the same time saturated fats seem to contribute to insulin resistance.
I think fat and carbs together are the problem. Many of those here who have their diabetes in remission did so by eating fats, protein (and vegetables) while limiting or eliminating most carbs. But the amount of fat one eats is the question. If you had always avoided fats, then it'll be an adjustment to include more in your diet without feeling weird about it. But if you were like me, eating plenty of fats already, then just cutting processed carbs and eating some more vegetables might do the trick.
I think measuring your blood glucose frequently when you start out trying to get your head around what your meals are doing to you is educational, provided you can afford the strips. There seems not to be too much encouragement to measure the 30 min and 1 hr spikes with most saying as long as you are back under a certain number (7.8 mmol or 6.7mmol or 5.0mmol as optimal depending what you read) and that being no more than 2 mmols above pre-meal reading 2 hours later is desirable. I think the spike at 30 mins to 1 hour is important too though, especially if someone has the habit of snacking on things that give a big spike (like I used to - always having biscuits with my cups of tea) because over time, those spikes add up and higher spikes probably do some accumulative damage to our bodies.