Why don't restaurants......

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I have been to many restaurants in the last 12 months up and down the Country and ALL have had the option of fruit available, even motorway services, Indian and Chinese have them, so I really don't find a problem getting any amount of fruit either with or after a meal.

I don't think the fruit option has ever gone away in my experience ? Depends where you look I suppose....... :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
cugila said:
I have been to many restaurants in the last 12 months up and down the Country and ALL have had the option of fruit available, even motorway services, Indian and Chinese have them, so I really don't find a problem getting any amount of fruit either with or after a meal.

I don't think the fruit option has ever gone away in my experience ? Depends where you look I suppose....... :)

Funny enough I have seen fruit as a option in Indian restaurants but sadly not elsewhere, in the main it is usually a fruit salad which is hard to calculate the carb value.

Nigel

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
I dont think anyone was suggesting that we have a diabetically recommended menu, just a general indication of meal components eg total carbs etc.
My personal view is that we need to educate ourselves so that we are not dependant on being told what is suitable at any specific establishment.
My rules are simple, pasta, potatoes, rice, cereals, sugars,bread, pastries are a no go or at very worst taste only, cheeses, meat, veg, salad, fish - dip your wick!!.
If you are not sure whether what you have had was good for you or not, do a 2 hour post meal test and learn from the result good or bad. You'll get there in the end and you wont need to look for a "Menu for Diabetics"!!

All the best - Steve

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's our anniversary in a few weeks time and I've booked our favourite restaurant for this special occasion, and as we don't eat out often as we use to I'll be going the full hog :D - starter, main and dessert (cheese and biscuits). They do the best steaks and make the most crunchiest roast potatoes you have ever tasted, usually accompanied by 5-6 different types of veggies. The good thing about eating out in such establishments is that it is not difficult to work the carbs in the food, as opposed to Chinese, Mexican, Italian or Indian restaurants where it really is a game of chance when guessing the carb content and injecting.

Nigel

jaykay

Oooh, Nigel, enjoy those crunchy roast potatoes for me! They're about the only thing I really, really miss. I keep one or 2 for really crunchy, high day and holiday treats :)

sugar2

Happy anniversary Nigel!

This thread has taught me that I am going to ask teh restaurant what the carb contents of their meals are in future, rather than just assuming that they don't know! I am not a bad carb surveyor...but it is those sneaky hidden carbs inglazes and sauces etc that can trip me up sometimes.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Happy anniversary Nigel and Mrs Nigel
CAROL

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1