Why don't restaurants......

DeafDiabetic

....have a separate column or page on their menus showing meals suitable for diabetics?

Can be a little bit difficult sometimes trying to fathom out what's ok to eat by looking up a "normal" menu especially when you're out with friends or family who are'nt diabetic but you want to eat together and enjoy yourself.

I know, for me at least, if this were done I'd know which restaurant to patronise and which to avoid!

Do I hope in vain...........?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Lots of restaurants do have nutritional information but you have to ask for it.

A bit of forward planning maybe....pop in to some of these places and ask.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I use the Weatherspoons chain a lot and they have nutritional information booklets available, usually at the bar.

Many other places that I go to do as well, also online is usually a good place to start searching as the menus are usually set for several months.

Like Sue said........forward planning and just ask ........ :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It would be very difficult to provide separate menus, because we don't all agree about what is suitable.
If we go to a restaurant, I pick what I want from the menu as is. In many places, you can exchange potatoes etc, for extra veggies or salad. desserts are more difficult. Isometimes get round it by just having coffee, or cheese if it's on offer.
I find the Toby carvery ideal for a meal out, because I have my meat served and select those veggies I like. I have coffee instead of dessert there.
Since we often have a grandchild with us, again the carvery is ideal as we can choose the right thing for a little person.
Hana

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Some of the larger chain of restaurants and fast food establishments do have nutritional guides on the food they provide, ask in advance if they provide these before you book.

As others have said, Toby's Carvery is a excellent place to eat as you can put as little or as much on your plate as you desire, if you are watching the carbs you can substitute this with extra veg but once you get use to carb counting you can guess the carb content of your meal on the odd occasion you eat out.

After weighing my potato's/rice or pasta on a daily bases for a long time I have become quite adapt at getting my carb count near perfect when I eat out and no longer have a problem with this, I just stay clear of pastries and never eat deserts but do have cheese and crackers if they are available so never feel left-out.

It is about time restaurants moved with the times and provide nutritional guides in all establishments, but like most things in life we cannot always get what we ask for!

Nigel

sugar2

Ok, I kow I am type 1, and this does make a slight difference...but I actually do not like it when menus say "suitable for diabetics" (Airplanes and hospitals being the 2 I have experience of!) as to be honest, the meals that arrives are certianly not suitable for any type of diabetic, as far as I am aware. I agree, what would be useful is a carbohydrate total of the meals they serve...so we can all then make and informed choice.

Thanks for the tip about asking for the info...I have been estimating this for so long, it nerver occured to me that they might actually provide this. :oops:

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Ask 20 differenbt diabetics, and you'll get 21 different 'diabetic' diets.

There are also people who need low fat, or low protein, vegan, seperate menu's for all of these, oh, and don't forget completely salt free, and all the addatives that people with behavioural difficulties have found beneficial in avoiding.

They usually have all the nutritional information available if you ask. :)

alaska

Some diabetes meals are pretty off target from my point of view but ...

during my last flight, my girlfriend and I picked one diabetes meal and one non-diabetes meal. The only difference was in the pudding where she got a cheesecake (non-diabetic) and I got fruit and raisins (diabetic menu).

I can't say that the raisins were a great pick but at least I wasn't tempted to eat them as quickly as I would have done a cheesecake :D

All in all, I'm pleased the option was available.

Similar to what Hana is saying, I wouldn't be keen on restaurants providing a separate menu for us, for certain foods some nutritional information would be useful -I avoid Chinese and Indian places where possible as I may have more luck guessing the lottery than the carb content of some Chinese and Indian cuisine :D

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I fail to see a problem when eating out, every restaurant I've ever been to has had something I can eat on its menu.

Last week I went out to a newly opened Spanish/Mexican restaurant I ordered a chilli burger and chips with a portion of onion rings on the side. I ate the burger and salad but left the bun and only ate the chips I new I could get away with I had two of the onion rings from a portion of about six or seven. A bottle of Budweiser and a black coffee completed the meal. And very nice it was too.

If I had wanted Fajitas or a steak or anything else on the menu I would have had it.

Eating out is only a problem if you want it to be, no one forces you to eat more carbs/fat/calories than you want. :D

jaykay

I agree Sid, I've never had a problem eating out. We often eat at a Mexican place in Ipswich prior to going to the cinema. I usually have a chicken or steak dish with vegetables or salad. If the meal comes with chips, I ask them to substitute a salad or more veggies and they always say yes. If a place is a proper restaurant and not a MacDonalds or something similar, I really can't see a problem. One Chinese restaurant that has gotten to know us even makes me Green Tea Ice cream with less sugar, just for me! Be nice, talk to people, and if they want your custom and are interested in food you'll be amazed at what you can get! :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Me too..... :D Doesn't matter what type of place it is, traditional, Chinese, Indian etc there is usually something can find that will suit me. I would never go for anything that says "suitable for Diabetic's" ! Not this one........

Chinese is Ok most times as I stick to things like Chicken Chow Mein or Chop Suey which doesn't affect me in any way. Indian I always stick to Tandoori meals with a salad, couple of pappadoms and pickles, again no effect on Bg levels ! :D

I make my own curries which means that I know exactly what is in them and how many carbs per portion, a bit of Rice is fine as I only ever have about a dessert spoonful and even that is sometimes left. A curry from a takeaway or restaurant is treated much the same way, the main dish itself is usually OK, it's the stuff that it goes with you need to be careful of !

Test by trial and error, you soon learn what you can and cannot have without needing a 'crib sheet.'

jopar

I would actually be quite offended if I sat in a resturant started to read they menu and saw suitable for Diabietic's! And I wouldn't stay to eat there...

I can not abide it when somebody decides what may or may not be suitable for me to eat, I can quite happily make my own mind up, and carb count what my meal contains pretty well and if I'm out for a meal, I intend to enjoy and if necessary have a slight leeway on my BG's..

As I don't frequent restruants that often..

Elizabeth-W

I am new to this whole diabetes thing (T2) and haven't had to deal with eating out yet. I wonder if I could just eat what I like if its a one off special occasion. Am I going to get ill? Failing that I suppose a diabetic menu might help me but only if its low carb/fat.

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi Elizabeth,

You know what they say ? A little of what you fancy does you good..... little being the operative word.

Take care

Bernie

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I second much of what was expressed here.
The carb counting seems tricky at first but I have become rather adept at off the cuff quantity surveying when I eat out.

And of course I give myself a little slack and correct later if I have to.

So I'll go with Bernie on that one :)

A

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
AndyS said:
I have become rather adept at off the cuff quantity surveying when I eat out.

I like that Andy and will have to remember that one! :lol:

Nigel

gapingleila

In the 1950s and 60s, many restaurants offered a fruit basket as an option at the end of a meal. Why do so few do so now? They would be welcomed by slimmers, parents wanting their children to eat healthily, and by those who are persuaded into having something because `if you don't, I won't'. As well as diabetics. Fruit has a fairly long shelf life, and I would imagine the profit margins would be good.

jaykay

Again, if it's a real restaurant, they'll give you fruit if you ask. The last time I was in an Italian, I explained I was diabetic and could I have a little fruit, berries preferably. They came back with a fruit platter with everything under the sun on it. Invited me to take what I wanted and said don't worry about the rest, it goes in the fruit salad! :) And they only charged me £1 for it! Not always so lucky of course but I do think English people are bad at asking for what they want in restaurants, markets, grocers etc. Try it!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
gapingleila said:
In the 1950s and 60s, many restaurants offered a fruit basket as an option at the end of a meal. Why do so few do so now? They would be welcomed by slimmers, parents wanting their children to eat healthily, and by those who are persuaded into having something because `if you don't, I won't'. As well as diabetics. Fruit has a fairly long shelf life, and I would imagine the profit margins would be good.

Good point, bring it back I say! :)

Nigel