why i dont low carb

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
I am semi low carbing - that is trying to eat smaller portions and buy use low Gi products where possible. However, I am not overweight and since being on two x 250 metformin a day I have been losing weight, having gone from size 14 to 12 (I assume due to lack of sweet things - which I did have a penchant for), now my size 12 trousers are loose - I am somewhat concerned that a strict low carb diet will lower my weight even further - I know there are many people who will find this an 'antagonising' statement. My own daughter who has thyroid issues has little sympathy for my weight loss and cannot understand my complaints - but it can be a serious issue - especially since I discovered that Metformin can be an appetite suppressor and even lead to anorexia (I assume in extreme form). But have noticed my appetite is not what it used to be, I can eat but never really feel hungry.

Revontuli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I really don't understand this low-carb frenzy. Despite of googling hundred of pages about it. I really don't get the logic.

People don't seem to get it that the main idea is, whether you have diabetes or not, to maintain a healthy diet containing enough amount from each group(carbs, veggies etc). I just saw a few examples of low-carb diet that doesn't have almost no fruit and mostly based on meat(protein). I'm sorry but in my opinion this is crazy. Eating one portion of fruit with milk/yogurt as a snack won't do you any harm. You may choose not to eat banana for example, then OK, it makes sense. But do people ever count in the dangers of such diets? If you have a problem of constipation for example, can you imagine the results?

I was diagnosed with Type 1 in June. I lost 15 kgs in 5 months, from 60 to 45, and all the other symptoms. As soon as I started my treatment, I went back to 53 kgs. I was given a diet with 1800 calories and now I maintain my body weight pretty well. I eat rye-bread, which is really low in carbs compared to other kinds, one portion of fruit as snack, one portion of protein at lunch and vegetable at dinner. And always vegetable and salad with each meal.

I think many people get confused about what is low-carb and what's not. Forget about that. It's all about eating enough of everything and EXERCISING REGULARLY. And making it your lifestyle. You don't need anything else and you'll realize that you maintain your weight / lose weight slowly but permanently, in a healthy way.