Why I think all diabetics should have a CGM

iHs

Oh gosh. I need it sooo badly as my hb1c is over 12
If you test yr bg levels b4 eating a main meal and then 2.5hrs later, write the carb value down and adjust the bolus better to achieve a sensible bg target (look at the NICE bg tsrgets), you should thèn be able to get yr bolus to be in better harmony with yr basal. Try not to overtreat any hypos with too much glucose and carb......wait 15mins first to see how much bg changes b4 using more glucose or carb. Testing bg levels more frequently really helps sort out basal bolus control. If you can afford cgm, then great, but if you cant, then bg test.

stratospheric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Worms
If you test yr bg levels b4 eating a main meal and then 2.5hrs later, write the carb value down and adjust the bolus better to achieve a sensible bg target (look at the NICE bg tsrgets), you should thèn be able to get yr bolus to be in better harmony with yr basal. Try not to overtreat any hypos with too much glucose and carb......wait 15mins first to see how much bg changes b4 using more glucose or carb. Testing bg levels more frequently really helps sort out basal bolus control. If you can afford cgm, then great, but if you cant, then bg test.
Yeah i know all that. The problem is my fear of hypos. Im currently fighting n forking on it. Dr is wery nice n understands me. Im bringing my hba1c down by 0.1% -0.3% each time. Slowly, still long way to go but atleast its going right direction. Lately tried to change insuln, tried pump but nothing really helps...

iHs

You do get used to dealing with hypos with time but cgm is a game changer and I would like to see it funded a lot more than pumps but in the long run, pumps at the moment tend to work out cheaper. We can only hope that cgm competition stsrts to make the prices drop.

Reactions: 2 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Reminder to anyone who fancies their chances at winning a DexcomG4, and also fancies a fun day out mixing with some pretty awesome folk, there is an un-conference for people with diabetes this Saturday in Nottingham. Organised by the GBDoc www.gbdoc.co.uk and sponsored by TeamBG www.teambloodglucose.com. An opportunity to meet, chat and discuss things that matter most to you in a friendly and supportive environment and an opportunity to walk away cgm'd up! What's not to love?! :)

stratospheric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Worms
You do get used to dealing with hypos with time but cgm is a game changer and I would like to see it funded a lot more than pumps but in the long run, pumps at the moment tend to work out cheaper. We can only hope that cgm competition stsrts to make the prices drop.
Well i would think I've had enough time to learn how to deal with my hypos and yet I haven't. I'll bring up cgm to my dr next time i see her and ask what she thinks about it. At the moment im waiting for test results about my hormone levels. She thinks it might be one of the reasons why my shugars do tend to drop and get up so often. Sometimes i feel like im extremely sensative to insulin.

I have recently being trialing the NAVIGATOR (CGM)by Abbott and found it to be very close to my blood sugar reading off my (NEO)BSM:1mmol out.Im currently trialing the LIBRE by Abbott again and find it ok but I have no HYPOAWARENESS and it doesn't tell you if your going low/high due to it not being continuous and having to swipe for your results im soon being told I might get to trial DEXCOM G4 depending if it comes to trials.Everyone has different needs so its good to go and do trials to find the right one for YOU#OCDEM:Churchill hospital are recruiting patients as they're the ones who have put me on both

Ekat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm getting trained this Tuesday on the GMS and I'm hoping it makes a big difference. I just wonder if the transmitter leaves marks/ scars on your skin...

MrBrightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
recently diagnosed and looking around at the technology available i'm amazed there isn't something linked to smartphones. also how often does CGM have to be changed, is it 3-4 days like most of the pumps?

Ekat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
recently diagnosed and looking around at the technology available i'm amazed there isn't something linked to smartphones. also how often does CGM have to be changed, is it 3-4 days like most of the pumps?
They told me every 7 days..drove me crazy this morning but at least the alarm does its job lol

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using Dexcom for quite some time now - you are supposed to change the sensor every 7 days, but I can easily use it twice as long. Some people even get to a month on one sensor.

To summarise my experience - I love it, I can't live without it, my control would not be even close to as good as it is without it. It's given me my life back and is probably the main reason why I dealt with my diagnosis so well. So, yes, I believe every diabetic should have one.

Reactions: 4 people

shaggy1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it would be a start if the NHS funded them for kids. I can't imagine being the parent of a diabetic child and the worry watching them go to bed at night and the risks of a hypo. I know my parents were terrified

Despite my annoyance at the fact you have to re-buy the hardware on top of the sensor cost, I reckon I'll relent and eventually buy one

Princesnikki

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You should see the freestyle libre it is amazing I've been trying to buy one for up to 2 months now I waited for them to come back into stock so I can buy one I had it for two weeks and it changed my life yes I think every diabetic should have one this particular CGM rules out finger prick testing and it's a sensor that goes in your arm last two weeks and you have to scan at least every eight hours it also has a directional arrow to tell you where you sugra levels was going either up down or stay in central and how quickly is well I really believe in this new technology and I feel that they can change diabetes for the better make it easier make it less of a problem it's a win-win

slipgate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi June, I have what is known as the Dexcom CGM These sensors are meant to last 7 days and cost £46, like many others who use the Dexcom CGM I can make the sensors last 4 weeks on average now, with the longest time being 47 days for me. Others have managed longer.
I have an Animas Vibe insulin pump so the receiver is built into this pump at no cost to me. I do have to pay for the transmitter though which is just over £300. The transmitter lasts for about 12 months on average so I have been told.

When you say you 'make the sensor last longer' is there anything you do particularly, or are you just restarting the sensor? I've only had it about 9 months, the first few sensors were lasting between three-four weeks. Now, however I'm struggling to get beyond a week and start getting ??? appearing a lot. I don't have a pump so I have to pay £62.50 per sensor :-(

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
When you say you 'make the sensor last longer' is there anything you do particularly, or are you just restarting the sensor? I've only had it about 9 months, the first few sensors were lasting between three-four weeks. Now, however I'm struggling to get beyond a week and start getting ??? appearing a lot. I don't have a pump so I have to pay £62.50 per sensor :-(
Hi if you have a look at other posts I have made regarding the stickaility and non movement of the sensor, you can see how I have achieved it so far. Just hope Dexcom don't manage to change things so it's an automatic fail after the 7 days.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi if you have a look at other posts I have made regarding the stickaility and non movement of the sensor, you can see how I have achieved it so far. Just hope Dexcom don't manage to change things so it's an automatic fail after the 7 days.
I don't think they will. Advanced therapeutics kind of "advises" clients that the sensors can be restarted to save cost. I think they all are aware that the sensors are pricey, and if they make it "fail" after 7 days, they will simply lose a lot of customers who won't be able to afford them.

smcgarrity

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It might be stating the obvious, but having been lucky enough to have had a CGM for a brief time, it's obvious to me how amazing they are. Most notably when you are out and about and it's not easy to check BS levels. Of course, they are very expensive, but so were mobile phones once and over the years they have become very affordable pieces of kit so I'm very excited to see what technology advancements are brought out over the next 10 years.

Having said that, I really believe all diabetics should be allowed access to a CGM for at least a few weeks. I have learned alot about what my BS level does during the day and more importantly during the night which allowed me and my health professional to adjust insulin doses and eating habits and my HBA1C has come right down because of it (form 7% - 6.1%).

They might be expensive to the NHS, but how expensive is dealing with long term complications?

I to have one. Dexcom G4. In reality it is a life changer. Hb1Ac down from 10.5 to 6.0. Now controlling 5.5 to 6.0. As you say expensive and I'm sure cost will come down maybe even an App on the new iPhone watch. Although T2 but taking insulin I can make accurate assessment as how much to take and when to take using the CGM. No worries of nighttime hypos either. The best tool in a diabetics arsenal.