Why is it.....

avi

Dislikes
people who act like they are the diabetic police!!!
.....everytime I decide to do a basal test my BG is out of range, I could have done it yesterday but because I hadn't consciously decided to do it, my Bg reading was fine, I could really do with getting one done to see whats going on, I'll just have to try again tomorrow. Such are the laws of diabetes I suppose.

Avi

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
sods law i guess lol if dylan has been high we have gone on and done it still after the nurses recommendation she said no harm in it its only when low u cant, hope u manage to get one done soon

anna marie

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can't give you the answer, only sympathy!

I'm not on a pump (yet). But find that when my readings go haywire, I can test every hour thoughout one night and bs hardly varies, the next night I just sleep and it goes up alarmingly between bedtime and breakfast, yet both nights I've done everything as near identical as possible.

At those times I tell myself there are so many things that affect bs,its a wonder we ever get 2 successive readings in the target range.

Its the blood sugar poltergeist....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yep, I agree with consciously thinking to do a fasting and then finding BG levels beforehand aren't good enough to do so!!!
I was told not to do a basal if my levels had gone high and I had to do a correction, or if the sunk low.
Looking at Anna Marie's advice from her nurse though it conflicts with what I was told.....

spideog

Not been doing this pumping lark long enough to have got round to doing any basal testing yet, but the impression I got from the briefing we got on Monday when getting turned on with the insulin was that you are OK to go ahead with it unless you go low. Makes sense as all your trying to establish is that the background level of insulin doesn't cause any major changes to the BG level, so as long as your not dangerously high or low it shouldn't matter hugely if your just above the ideal range or not. The slight low or high at the start possibly being accounted for by a slightly wrong bolus beforehand.

If you go low or high during the test then that is still useful info, just stop at at point and deal with it.

sugar2

I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is really annoying!

Currently, it is 4.30 pm and I have been fasting and testing since 8 am....I did start off high at breakfast time, so had to do a minor correction...so I will have to write off the first few hours anyway. decided t stic with itthough, as I didn't make any lunch, and it will be 8 pm before I get home...so if I can stick it out I will do! That will be an 8 hour fast...so far, so good. My BG is hiigher than I would like currently 8.4, which usually I would correct, but as it is not "danerously high" I am happy to live with it for teh day. My own way of thinking, is that I will not start my fast, if my BG is over 10, and not start if it is under 5...but this is just me, and not specifically what I was advised.

The reason I really struggle is becasue I knwo that any exercise really makes my sugars go down....so I have to have a day not doing much, to keep things level. On a normal day, I do use the temporary basal....which keeps me within range. The fact that I have to go shopping on the way home from work is already making me a bit worried! I hate treating hypos in supermarkets..I always feel that they think I am eating their stock without paying for it!