1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Why is my blood sugar so high?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by type1harley, Dec 29, 2015.

1. type1harley

type1harley Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So basically, ever since I woke up today, I checked my sugar and it was 12.4 mmol/L. I had a small bowl of cereal with milk which was 41g and I did 4.5 units of insulin. Usually I have a snack around mid morning, but since I was at home today and my sugars were high yesterday, I decided not to. My blood sugars are more often higher on weekends/holidays since I don't do a lot, but not to this extent.
    At lunch I tested and my sugar was 16.0 mmol/L. I had 2 slices of toast with peanut butter on them which was 44g and I did 7.5 units of insulin.

I just want to know why my blood sugars are so high...

2. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi and welcome. We are not in a position to diagnose the problem but I'll make a suggestion and you need to follow-up with the DN. Your morning level of 12.4 mmol is too high and might imply your Basal dose is too low? Do discuss this with the DN. What is your BMI/weight?

3. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

@type1harley I note that you are 14, which means that you could also be going through a growth spurt, which will affect how much insulin you need. @Daibell is correct in the course of action you should consider.

4. lizziewizzie

lizziewizzie Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @type1harley

Definitely see your diabetic team as soon as you can. They can go through all of your readings and assess whether your basal dose needs increasing (my team just increased mine today for that reason).

As tim2000s said, you may be experiencing a growth spurt. I don't know a lot about this, but found this info for you:

http://www.t1everydaymagic.com/people-in-the-know-growth-spurts/

When children enter puberty, their bodies begin producing increased amounts of growth hormones to assist with maturation. We know that growth hormones can affect the body’s sensitivity to insulin and sometimes make it so that more insulin is needed in order to regulate blood sugars. During a growth spurt, levels of growth hormone tend to peak and make this insulin “insensitivity” even more pronounced. In adolescents without type 1, the body’s response to all this is to simply produce more insulin if needed. In adolescents with type 1 diabetes, however, it’s often necessary to make adjustments in insulin doses to keep kids’ blood sugar levels within range.

Frequent monitoring of blood sugars can help tell you what kind of dosage adjustments may be needed, as well as show patterns emerging in your numbers over time. It’s a good idea to check in with your diabetes care team to share this information and discuss how best to accommodate growth and maturation.

So, yeah, you need to see your team when you next can and decide a plan of action. Good luck lovely and let us know how you get on. xxxx

5. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Harley did you give extra insulin (correction) to bring down the 12.4? If not or you don't know how to do this then ask your team for help. Also did you know it's best not to eat until your levels have dropped below 8? Levels would be higher at the weekend due to less activity compared to school so also consider talking to your team about making weekend adjustments. If you fancy a pump then ask if you can have one as you obviously have your head screwed on correctly :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook