1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Why is the Insight handset so slow?

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by ealingr, Oct 6, 2018.

1. ealingr

ealingr Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've had the Accu-Check Insight for a while now and there's a lot I like about it, but the slowness of the handset is starting to bother me.

A few times now, I've found myself missing a bolus because I get interrupted during the (lengthy, multi-step) blousing process. I've also found myself blousing directly from the pump for speed purposes rather than using the bolus calculator on the handset.

The speed of the handset has been discussed at length, I know, and I don't want to duplicate previous threads. My real reason for starting this thread is to ask...

Does anyone know *why* the handset is so slow?

The reason I've found myself giving to others is that regulation and approval of medical devices takes time, which means insulin pump technology necessarily lags some years behind mobile phone technology. But even mobile phones from a few years ago had faster "brains"!

Is the real reason something else? Cost? Something to do with the bluetooth connection?

I'm interested if anyone knows more about this...

2. Chas C

Chas C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You will never get an answer from the manufacturer, my guess is that you can stack boluses with the Insight and it needs to take time to work these out.

• Like Like x 1
  3. KillerQueen63

KillerQueen63 Type 1 · Newbie

A few months ago I rang Accu Chek and told them the slowness of my meter was driving me nuts. They said it was my fault, because I was putting my test strip into the meter first, instead of turning the meter on first. I’ve been pumping for 10 years and had no idea I was doing it wrong. I’ve since been doing it their way, and no difference - if anything it gets slower as time goes by. Still driving me nuts!

• Like Like x 1
    #3 KillerQueen63, Oct 11, 2018 at 6:26 PM
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  4. clarehayward

clarehayward Type 1 · Member

I'm on it and it's the most frustrating thing about it. Nope, you can put the handset on simply by putting in a test strip. That's a perfectly valid way of turning on handset and I'm not suprised it hasn't altered the speed as it's just an INCREDIBLY slow, slow handset. I was warned about this before I accepted it, but didn't realise just QUITE HOW SLOW it was. May I ask those using it their reasons for choosing it? Mine was because I didn't need to keep whipping out my Medtronic from my bra to bolus (with a dress it would have been going to the loo every time to extract) so this was and still is high on my list of what the Insight can do BUT, god, the slowness.

5. KillerQueen63

KillerQueen63 Type 1 · Newbie

The reason I have the Insight is because it was the only one on offer. I had no choice!

6. ealingr

ealingr Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My main reason for choosing it was being able to bolus remotely, too - particularly at work. It is also very small and neat, which means it is easy/discreet to fit under clothes.

I hold out hope that the next edition will give us an improvement in the handset. Or even better, the ability to control the pump from a phone app!

7. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was also warned it was slow and it is slower than what we are used to when we load up apps/emails on phones but I am okay with that because I like the bluetooth feature, have used the brand for my last pump but mainly because I like the no fuss cartridge change (partially sighted and struggled to see air bubbles in the previous pump ).

8. richyb

richyb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I usually do something else whilst it is sorting, getting dressed,put kettle on or breakfast on.
    If you hold top button on for a few seconds every day, it resets and speeds up slightly. But otherwise I like it

9. Medusa41

Medusa41 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes it is painfully slow. Been on it for almost 4 years & thinking of the Omnipod next. So irritating!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook