Why oh why did I ever stop...?!

skal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all, once again. I've been off low carbing for quite some time now. Last HbA1c was 68 which is way too high...:arghh:
My carboholism reared it's ugly head and I have been completely out of control so I dug out my meter, dusted it and started testing this week. Mornings have been high at 15 and the rest of the day has been running between 16 and 20. :confused: No wonder I have been fatigued and lethargic and constantly irritable and tired.
Today I decided enough is enough and threw away my carbs, holding a little memorial for them...:angelic:
Fasting level was 15.7 and the day's food has been a tin of tuna with a little lemon and olive oil, some cheese and nuts as wasn't hungry at lunchtime and a sirloin steak with mushrooms, onion and garlic. By lunchtime my levels showed in at 6.9 and I had to retest to confirm. Pre dinner was 6 and 1 hr postprandial was 7.1. :woot:

Now all I need to do is to just stay with it...

skal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reread my atkins book too and now am looking at various low carb recipes for inspiration.
I already feel better!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey! That is a brilliant turnaround in just one day! Well done :)

Please don't worry if your fasting readings take longer to respond - they often take longer to come down.

Just hang in there, you will readjust. Just give it time. :D

Reactions: skal

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I love the improvement. Try not to do it too often as damage can be done with huge variants in the vessels, especially eyes. Stick with it and have a treat when you need to keep you with the crusade. If could be less damaging. A huge hba1c improvement guaranteed.
When I say treats, make or buy low carb treats. Plenty available. Oppo ice cream is lovely, anytime of the year. Almond or sesame flour cakes or pastries. Have a party! Enjoy.

Reactions: mo53 and skal

skal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all! The plan is to take it easy but I really need the control. I've been diabetic for nearly 8 years and for the last couple I have completely ignored the fact and done the ostrich thing with the head in sand...

Reactions: Serena51 and mo53

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @skal you are doing really well. I have been playing ostrich too for about 4-5 months. I've been back on low carb for about 10 days. It is just too easy to slide but returning is great! Keep up the good work:)

Reactions: skal and Pipp

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As Aerosmith once sang.... "I'm back in the saddle again"!

Good news buddy.

Reactions: skal

skal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Woke up with less brain fog today and level is down to (or up to) 12.1. Significantly better than the high 15s I have had this week.
It will be interesting to see what I can achieve today...

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Its the evenings that are my downfall. I try to find things to do, places to go , anything rather than slumping in front of the tv and pigging out. Nuts and cheeese can only satisfy for a short time - and then the chocolate, crisps and biscuits call, without the G&Ts.
Its no good banning everything from the house as there are other people to consider - but will power is low in the evenings and early nights are not appealing all the time.
Not much help - but lots of good vibes from me.

skal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know the evening munchies very well myself... and the lack of will power... I'm just restarting so am feeling very motivated especially my nurse didn't prescribe me any more drugs but is giving me a chance to see what I can achieve with low carbing again.

My down fall is crisps and I have a flax meal cracker and cheese recipe I'm going to make to go with pate and other lovely things.

Last night I felt peckish so fried 2 eggs in butter and that took care of my cravings.

Reactions: Serena51

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Mmmm fried eggss - could add a little bacon ....... be better with some fried bread too though! Mop up those juices (no wonder I'm not losing weight).

skal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mmmmmm fried bread! I will eventually try the German rye bread which is lovely fried in butter and bacon fat... I used to be able to get away with a slice of that.

I'm feeling some cravings today but haven't caved in to stealing an instant noodle pack of my flatmate's. ..

My levels are a tiny bit higher than on my first day, fasting was 13 and the rest of the day they have been around 7 or 8. Currently I am having about 15 grams of carbs a day and possibly not enough fat...

redtree92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all, once again. I've been off low carbing for quite some time now. Last HbA1c was 68 which is way too high...:arghh:
My carboholism reared it's ugly head and I have been completely out of control so I dug out my meter, dusted it and started testing this week. Mornings have been high at 15 and the rest of the day has been running between 16 and 20. :confused: No wonder I have been fatigued and lethargic and constantly irritable and tired.
Today I decided enough is enough and threw away my carbs, holding a little memorial for them...:angelic:
Fasting level was 15.7 and the day's food has been a tin of tuna with a little lemon and olive oil, some cheese and nuts as wasn't hungry at lunchtime and a sirloin steak with mushrooms, onion and garlic. By lunchtime my levels showed in at 6.9 and I had to retest to confirm. Pre dinner was 6 and 1 hr postprandial was 7.1. :woot:

Now all I need to do is to just stay with it...

wow !! thats so so so amazing well done :) you can do it ! Just think how amazing you feel and what a satisfying feeling it is to have control :):cat: xxx

skal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah it feels so good. Having been so out of control and feeling the lethargy and fogginess, it is quite amazing. :woot:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its the evenings that are my downfall. I try to find things to do, places to go , anything rather than slumping in front of the tv and pigging out. Nuts and cheeese can only satisfy for a short time - and then the chocolate, crisps and biscuits call, without the G&Ts.
Its no good banning everything from the house as there are other people to consider - but will power is low in the evenings and early nights are not appealing all the time.
Not much help - but lots of good vibes from me.

Do the other people in the house not consider that your health could be quite important..?
Couldn't they give up carby snacks for a short while until you conquer your cravings? Also it may of course do them some good too.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
While that is a nice thought in reality its a no brainer. It will be fine while they are gone but once they come back so will the snacking. It takes time but yiu do eventualy stop craving all the carby **** in the cupboards. It only masks the problem, it doesnt solve it. Im the only one who does LCHF in our house and it would be a bit unfair to deny the other 5 people in the house food that they like.

Reactions: Serena51

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Who does the shopping?

This can be for other persons health too, can this not be explained?