Type 2 Why oh why???

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had assumed it was from the HbA1c, expressed as a percentage.
That is what my guess would be as well.

It does get a bit confusing with all the various different units and things are not helped when they keep changing them

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
One of the main things it does is change the balance of AMP to ATP in the liver. AMP is used by the liver to convert glucose into glycogen for storage and ATP is used to convert glycogen into glucose when your body needs it. Normally the body maintains these chemicals in a 1:1 ratio and depending on the amount of met you are taking you can change this to up to a 4:1 ratio. Changing this ratio is a slow process and doesn't happen overnight and that is why it can take weeks. Both of these chemicals are used in the body for other processes as well - for example processing lactic acid by the heart when you are exercising.

Reactions: 2 people
K

koukla

Hi everyone who's offered advice. I had a quick read through this last night but was tired and couldn't take it in. I'm off for my flu jab this morning but will read and try to digest it properly when I get back. Thank you for your input :)

K

koukla

@pavlosn, @AndBreathe and @Andrew Colvin..... thank you so much for all that info. I'm looking forward to it kicking in. I'm sticking rigidly to my diet so hopefully will see some results within the next week or so. Mind you I'm only on 500mg per day so it might take a while. It's all very uplifting news though. I was just wondering why they don't give it to people immediately upon diagnosis but I imagine that if they did, certain people wouldn't make any attempt with their diet and exercise. It sounds like good stuff. Many thanks again. :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@pavlosn, @AndBreathe and @Andrew Colvin..... thank you so much for all that info. I'm looking forward to it kicking in. I'm sticking rigidly to my diet so hopefully will see some results within the next week or so. Mind you I'm only on 500mg per day so it might take a while. It's all very uplifting news though. I was just wondering why they don't give it to people immediately upon diagnosis but I imagine that if they did, certain people wouldn't make any attempt with their diet and exercise. It sounds like good stuff. Many thanks again. :)

Many people are prescribed Metformin immediately they are diagnosed. Personally, I am pleased I wasn't recommended it, as I know I could have been one of those putting some form of reliance upon it to reduce my blood scores. I'm fortunate not to have to take any medication whatsoever, for anything, and I like it that way. It's somewhat convenient not to have to have prescriptions refilled, or remember to take tablets, but that's just me. Needless to say, I wholly appreciate that it's not always possible to avoid medication, but for me, whilst I can, I will.

I do hope you see the results you want so badly.

Reactions: 4 people
K

koukla

@AndBreathe, I didn't want it either. I was so pleased when I went down to 39 on my first diabetic clinic and so very disappointed when my HbA1C went up on the second visit, despite all that weight loss. Maybe I won't have to take it forever. I don't know.

Thank you for your good wishes :)

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was diagnosed it immediately, in fact the doctor gave me a prescription and said when the results come in and if they are positive start taking them straight away, so he actually was very confident of the diagnosis and that I was going to be high on the scale (91mmol/mol). However within a little more than a month I was off them. Mainly because I had a bad reaction but my results were already in the normal range so he was fairly happy

K

koukla

But then you cracked it on your own!! Let's hope I can too. Someone else said it appeared he's trying to fine tune it. Maybe he wants more weight off me, I've no idea but I don't think I need that. It won't be long to wait to find out because I see him again before Christmas. Thank goodness..... I might misbehave during that period. I hope not but I can't promise :/

K

koukla

Wheheyyyyy!! I found my thread again. It might be better if I always use my laptop as I don't seem to be able to do this on my phone. This was my last update because I couldn't find myself :)
Well, what a strange 6 weeks it's been. I thought I'd keep quiet for a while and get on with it. It hasn't worked out quite how I expected. Very strange, in view of my Pre conceived ideas. I've not changed my diet one iota and have taken my 500mg Metformin religiously every day. Saw my GP last week and he asked me please not to lose another pound in weight or I'm going to look like a cancer patient......his words. I'm now looking very good (also his words) but the Metformin hasn't made the slightest difference to my glucose levels. In fact they've been higher. My silence hasn't been a sign of not being worried, it's been to give you a bit of a break from me. I am worried and bewildered about the lack of any change with the Metformin. I expected only a slight downturn in my figures but definitely not a rise!