1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Why pay pump insurance?

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Postleneo, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Postleneo

Postleneo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Currently using the Omnipod and paying £7.50 per month for insurance. Have had 2 issues with the PDM both have been when changing the battery... After changing the battery PDM didnt switch on... Blank screen... Just gave up the ghost. After phoning Insulett and giving the serial number of the PDM.. Was advised a new PDM would be sent out. Can't fault the customer service... On both occasions received the PDM the following day. I asked about returning the faulty ones and was advised to just bin them as they wouldn't be fixed or refurbished as it wouldn't be worthwhile. I am seriously thinking about cancelling my insurance as I can't see the point if the PDMs are of so little financial value and if they pack up will just be replaced. Any thoughts on this?

2. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I know nothing about pump insurance etc, but we were thinking of cancelling our home contents insurance of $35.00 a month which we had been paying for nearly 20 years that we have been living here without a claim.

A couple of weeks ago my nine year old beer fridge died, so I put a claim in on the insurance. I got a new fridge within days of the claim being processed. I had to pay $200.00 excess, and $100.00 was deducted for the amount of food that was spoilt so only paid $100.00

We are not cancelling the insurance now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. db89

db89 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That must be one fancy fridge to have paid over AU$8000 for it. :wideyed:

4. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on 2 things - the price of the pump/device and how quickly you want the replacement.
    For instance I believe the pump I'm going to be getting costs about £3000 give or take, if I accidentally damage it that's going to hurt my bank account a lot!

• Agree Agree x 1
    #4 Rokaab, Mar 7, 2020 at 9:38 PM
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  5. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I did not pay $8000.00 for it, you must have missed reading the $100.00 excess I mentioned. :meh:

6. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

I would never go without house AND contents insurance.

7. db89

db89 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

No, I included it in the final figure.
    ((35x12)x19.5)+100 = AU$8290

Granted, you paid very slowly for it. :cool:

8. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

They cost several hundred pounds to replace - what if you lose it?

My insurance costs the same, and was a condition of my having a pump, it's standard at my clinic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. dancer

dancer Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My pump is covered by my house insurance (Direct Line) with no extra charge. It even covers the pump when I'm on holiday.

10. sleepster

sleepster Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I didn't have pump insurance for a long while, but I am clumsy and my pump was forever falling from my waistband and whacking into various things, fortunately it's never been damaged enough to need replacing, but now I have insurance and I don't have to worry so much about breaking my pump. If I did break it and I didn't have insurance, I couldn't afford a replacement.
    @Postleneo if you lost or damaged your PDM wouldn't you have to pay to replace it if you didn't have insurance?

11. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Your house insurance will take forever to get a new pump to you and will charge you an excess.

@Postleneo the PDM will cost a few hundred pounds to replace. If you loose it then Insulet will not replace it

12. Peter03

Peter03 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have never had pump insurance in the 18 years I have had insulin pumps, have to say never been asked if I had insurance so I will have to ask if I need insurance, it may be different here in France, my pump supplier always gives me a spare pump for holidays and they gave me a new pump when my pump had break in the casing no cost to me

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook