Why products are so tasteless?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to experience the taste of different cheeses, as the old saying one persons food is another persons poison.

To find cheese to your "tastes" you will need to go to food fairs where they have cheese tasting sessions. We have been to a lot of theses at various cheese factories here in Queensland. Which is a great way of experiencing combinations of food as Remy from the Ratatouille movie found out.
Or in the UK you could just go to a shop. Even ordinary supermarkets like Tesco or Sainsbury's stock a vast range of cheeses and the deli counter will let you try a sample.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
or if getting to those sort of shops is difficult you could try ordering taster selections such as these https://www.thecheesesociety.co.uk/product/top-table-wedding-cheese-cake-taster-box/ . Whenever I get to Lincoln I have to schedule a visit to the Cheese Society. Whisper :-Having lived in Wales I have experienced difficulties in getting to shops with a variety of stock but please keep it quiet because all that happens is I get a load of posts about artisan producers 20 miles up a muddy farm track miles from anywhere. Yes I do know residents of John O groats think nothing of a monthly visit to their hairdresser 100 miles away. I am just not one of those sort of people.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
By the way, do you know any nice fatty salty cheese ?
I was intrigued by your request so I wandered off to do a google search and came up with the wikipedia list of cheeses. The search (ctrl F) for the word salty had 29 hits and fatty came up with 1. As most others suggest I use feta for the salty tang but you need to search for feta to find it. Helpful not :) It is definitely a route that needs personalisation but surprisingly fascinating. There was one cheese I would have to insist was prepared in a pine ring. Lol So the suggestion the computer has decided is your perfect partner based on your personal profile is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queijo_do_Pico Please let me know what it is like if you try it. Meantime I shall stick to Roqueforte and Stilton. Have to say the photo is not making my taste buds tingle but the write up sounds good.

Reactions: Rabdos

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was intrigued by your request so I wandered off to do a google search and came up with the wikipedia list of cheeses. The search (ctrl F) for the word salty had 29 hits and fatty came up with 1. As most others suggest I use feta for the salty tang but you need to search for feta to find it. Helpful not :) It is definitely a route that needs personalisation but surprisingly fascinating. There was one cheese I would have to insist was prepared in a pine ring. Lol So the suggestion the computer has decided is your perfect partner based on your personal profile is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queijo_do_Pico Please let me know what it is like if you try it. Meantime I shall stick to Roqueforte and Stilton. Have to say the photo is not making my taste buds tingle but the write up sounds good.

I definitely want to try it, but I couldn't find any uk shop that has it :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Surprised, Aldi, Lidl, Asda, Morrison's, Sainsbury's sell Feta Cheese, my wife likes Feta with a salad.

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A whole country learnt to fear salt and everything is tasteless. There is no way to find salty cheese here :(

S

serenity648

A whole country learnt to fear salt and everything is tasteless. There is no way to find salty cheese here :(
you have a whole list of tasty cheeses to try on here. Why focus on the one that is difficult to find, and dismiss all the others, and rubbish the local produce of our own country? What, exactly, are you looking for? there is a whole international cuisine available in most supermarkets and small local delis.

Reactions: azure

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheddar, emental etc are quite sweetish for me.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try some vintage cheddar, some of them have crystals of salt visible, if you don't think that's salty your tastebuds are faulty!

Last edited:
Reactions: MargaretR

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wonderful local cheeses here in Lancashire Black bomber is a tasty Lancashire in a black wax coating which looks just like the bombs in kids comics (if you are old enough)
CAROL

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wonderful local cheeses here in Lancashire Black bomber is a tasty Lancashire in a black wax coating which looks just like the bombs in kids comics (if you are old enough)
CAROL
+1 for Black Bomber. Our local cheese shop sells it at Christmas.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
yep that one is definitely a challenge. It appears to be a family made cheese in the Azores so I cannot even guess if it is available in Portugal. In days of yore one need only contact Harrods and it would be delivered to your doorstep in a green liveried van. I cannot believe that once broad boast still holds true.

There are a couple of Portuguese restaurants hereabout but I imagine their menu are of the sourced local, food miles ilk. The Butchers Arms at Priors Hardwick was always a favourite, I have not been there recently but I cannot recall imported delicacies on the menu. I did spent a week in Lisbon once and still have very fond recollections of the food. I reckon your best bet will be a holiday in the Azores. I imagine the phrase lucky you is appropriate but I have not been there myself.

Then you could make notes and go into production yourself. Remember to invite me for taste testing https://www.ft.com/content/a582ffb6-6c25-11e3-a216-00144feabdc0

Sorry link does not work FT article 3 Jan 2014 five of the best cheese making courses

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Cheddar is not a protected status product so you can get some quite awful **** as you can with any mass produced product. They sell an awful lot of the stuff. I just go for the most aged one available but some of those can be quite bland but at least vintage is not as rubbery as mild. You definitely need to get yourself a favourite deli of quality. Do you ever go near a quality department store? We used to have one in Rackhams in Birmingham. Alternatively I imagine there must be artisan cheesemaker conventions somewhere in the country where someone can help with suggestions or even ways of sampling your elusive heavenly match:).

D

Deleted member 308541

Do you ever go near a quality department store? We used to have one in Rackhams in Birmingham.
Many years ago way back in the 1960's.

I had the opportunity to have a tour of J. Sainsbury's cheese warehouse in Blackfriars, I can still remember the aroma of cheeses maturing there. We got to have a taste of some the best stuff, it was a great experience for me.

I wonder if the public listed Sainsbury's still have the warehouse there in London.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Many years ago way back in the 1960's.

I had the opportunity to have a tour of J. Sainsbury's cheese warehouse in Blackfriars, I can still remember the aroma of cheeses maturing there. We got to have a taste of some the best stuff, it was a great experience for me.

I wonder if the public listed Sainsbury's still have the warehouse there in London.
That would be amazing. I never knew that. Did they produce the cheese too? I think the big retailers just buy in and most of their warehousing is the lorries on the road. I cannot imaginee the big supermarkets manufacturing anything but money nowadays. Their label just goes on so many of the producers packs and another label goes on the next batch. I know a lot of people think the company whose name is on a loaf of bread has actually baked the stuff so lets skirt the issue and say I think there is even less chance of them producing their own cheese.

My mind cannot imagine the size of the warehouse they would need for a weeks stock of cheese.

D

Deleted member 308541

My mind cannot imagine the size of the warehouse they would need for a weeks stock of cheese.
I think as far as I can remember, that it was just for the London ? stores, it was a long time ago and the memory is getting rusty on how big the place was.

It was in the rear area of J Sainsbury's in Stamford Street, you had to go down a road just up from the shop which was also the head office, training centre and the cheese warehouse.

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a cheese shop in Liverpool Street (inside the station) that makes amazing cheeses, anyone knows if they ship?