Type 2 Why the discrepancy?

lynbrown

i shall speak to Dr on the phone next week in lieu of face to face, so can I ask this group to answer a question? I take my own HBP readings at home. This morning, the first one was 185\65, the second 183/65 and the third was 151/89. I usually take the best of three. When the top one has come down and the bottom has gone up, which would you chose as the best? And how can it change so dramatically within 5 minutes? TIA

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Rather than taking the best of 3, why not average them? Average the top numbers and then average the bottom numbers.

Would it be better to take the 3 tests spread out during the day rather than all of them within 5 minutes? You would get a better idea of how you are doing.

Our blood pressure does vary, every minute, depending on lots of things. Even "nerves" when doing the reading and anticipating the result can affect it.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Firstly you need to be sitting for about 5 mins before taking a reading.
That's why the doc doesn't slap the cuff on you the minute you walk in the door.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's why the doc doesn't slap the cuff on you the minute you walk in the door
Or sometimes does! ;)
I have white coat syndrome, so I take home readings to Dr or nurse appts. As @Bluetit1802 suggests, my HCPs average the readings I have taken over the previous week.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's why the doc doesn't slap the cuff on you the minute you walk in the door.

You also need to sit with your legs uncrossed, and the meter needs to be somewhere at heart level for some reason.

Sax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No longer being prescribed metformin.

The moment when you realise you've possibly been taking medication due to taking your blood pressures wrong for a year.:banghead:

I've been reporting my blood pressure to my GP as being a little high based on taking the measurement about 30 seconds after sitting down, based on observing how quickly nurses took it after I sat down when first diagnosed as diabetic.
And I have my legs crossed a lot of time, and sometimes recently now I've lost weight I'll sit in the yoga position with both legs crossed on each other while waiting for the machine.

Oops.:banghead:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The moment when you realise you've possibly been taking medication due to taking your blood pressures wrong for a year.:banghead:

I've been reporting my blood pressure to my GP as being a little high based on taking the measurement about 30 seconds after sitting down, based on observing how quickly nurses took it after I sat down when first diagnosed as diabetic.
And I have my legs crossed a lot of time, and sometimes recently now I've lost weight I'll sit in the yoga position with both legs crossed on each other while waiting for the machine.

Oops.:banghead:
Well now you have no excuse.. !