Why??

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
People tend to be like that - especially in this day in age where slender people seem to be in the minority. Here's your chance of having fun with it. Are you a story teller? You could create a fictional tale of how you caught some parasite while doing some bizarre activity and ... Just make sure you stick with the same story for everyone who asks - the last time I did that I forgot and had three different stories on the go - it caught up with me LOL
Haha. We had stopped going to a pub we frequented regularly. When we went back the whole staff was asking where we've been. My hubby told them we were in witness protection until the trial was over. I almost fell off my chair. That is so not like him!!! Much more like me. We've had many laughs over that

Reactions: Crystalwand

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I once saw an old freind after a long while and immediately commented on her appearance. She had been what I used to call 'square off the block' meaning she was overweight with no discenible waistline or hips.
I said how wonderful she was looking and I meant it, she looked great. I saw the pained expression on her face as she told me she was having chemotherapy for breast cancer.
I do not comment on peoples' weight since then.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't think people comment on men's weight so much. I had one friend who I only saw about once every six months and he would always say something about me looking fatter, having a bigger gut, getting jowels or something similar.
I saw him after losing about 50 lbs, over 25% of my body weight. He didn't seem to notice, so I said that he usually made comments about me putting on weight but hadn't said anything about me losing weight.
He asked if had been ill!

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Annoying, isn't it!

I agree with @helensaramay that perceptions have changed and slim people are now looked on as skinny, and the overweight are looked on as normal because it now is normal. Also your acquaintances may only see you from time to time so big changes in your weight are more noticeable. There is probably more than a little jealousy involved too. I had similar comments when I lost all my weight. No-one comments these days.

You are happy with your weight and how you look, so be proud and show your new figure off to its best advantage. :)
I get "Oh you have lost weight" (I need to lose a little more) then they say " but don't lose too much will you" and that is before I have reached my ideal weight. Inside I think "Oh Pee off" LOL and yes they are usually over weight themselves..Jealousy pure jealousy he he (Joking)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Haha. We had stopped going to a pub we frequented regularly. When we went back the whole staff was asking where we've been. My hubby told them we were in witness protection until the trial was over. I almost fell off my chair. That is so not like him!!! Much more like me. We've had many laughs over that
Now I am in fits over just reading your post...Good come back

Pogel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had many positive comments since I have lost 5.5 stone (and still losing). But there have been one or two of the "you don't want to lose too much", or "you are going to look old and saggy if you lose more" I just tell them that I don't mind looking old if I am healthier, (and by the way I am old, so what is the problem with looking it?) My bloods are in the normal range for someone without diabetes so that is good enough for me.

Luckily I have a good sewing machine and overlocker and have been altering all of my clothes that are too big for me as we don't have much cash. Although now I am buying a few bits here and there that fit well and are inexpensive.

DMR175

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Kudos to every one of you on this thread!! Your efforts & successes toward achieving better health are impressive & encouraging. (I'm still laughing about the post from hca!)

Reactions: Prem51