Why??

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why do my acquaintances and neighbours think it's OK to keep telling me that I have lost too much weight and am looking thin. Can I answer them by saying they are too fat? My weight has been stable now at 8st 7lbs for quite a few months now so don't seem to be losing anymore, heaven knows what they would say if lost more. I am happy with my weight and size (apart from the bingo wings).

D

Deleted Account

I have always been slim. Not due to eating too little or exercising too much.
However, this has not stopped people I barely know telling me I am too thin.
In a world where many people are overweight, the concept of a healthy size has been skewed to be thought of as a "normal size" but normal is not always good.
Well done on losing weight and being happy with your size.
Try not to let what others think matter.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Annoying, isn't it!

I agree with @helensaramay that perceptions have changed and slim people are now looked on as skinny, and the overweight are looked on as normal because it now is normal. Also your acquaintances may only see you from time to time so big changes in your weight are more noticeable. There is probably more than a little jealousy involved too. I had similar comments when I lost all my weight. No-one comments these days.

You are happy with your weight and how you look, so be proud and show your new figure off to its best advantage. :)

Reactions: jonbvn

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Why do my acquaintances and neighbours think it's OK to keep telling me that I have lost too much weight and am looking thin. Can I answer them by saying they are too fat? My weight has been stable now at 8st 7lbs for quite a few months now so don't seem to be losing anymore, heaven knows what they would say if lost more. I am happy with my weight and size (apart from the bingo wings).
Hi @carol43 ..
I have dropped a bit over 3 stone since mid-Feb when I adopted LCHF and upped my exercise regime and I have had all the same comments as you. The "jokers" have also said things like "you look like a bag of bones dressed in a sack". The thing is, though, that when I looked in a mirror, I had to agree with them. So, I did a complete revamp of my wardrobe, put a smile back on my face and told 'em all that I've never felt so good in my life and I would be quite happy to show 'em how ..
Guess what .. no more comments ;)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So, I did a complete revamp of my wardrobe

Oh yes! I did that at least 3 times. There is nothing worse than a slim person in clothes that are 3 sizes too big. Except perhaps an overweight person in clothes that are 3 sizes too small - and there are plenty of young girls I see walking about like that!

My main issue is my rings. They have been in the safe since I lost my weight. It became too dangerous to wear them as they just dropped off. I keep telling myself to get them re-sized but have got so used to not wearing them that I don't get round to doing it. Note to self - must get this done.

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh yes! I did that at least 3 times. There is nothing worse than a slim person in clothes that are 3 sizes too big. Except perhaps an overweight person in clothes that are 3 sizes too small - and there are plenty of young girls I see walking about like that!
Too funny!!! Made my day!!

I get the same thing though my weight has been roughly the same for many years ( other than pre T1 mis diagnosis). Many times, mood dependent when they say I'm too skinny I really really really want to reply with 'and you're too fat'. nobody is perfect. I do sometimes reply with I can't get fat if I don't eat foods that make you fat. My diet is extremely healthy. Never heard of veggies, some proteins and some healthy fats making anyone fat. When I eat low carb and no junk food I'm not going to get fat.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
One of the many reasons why your family and friends criticise your weight loss is because they are not used to you so healthy and fitter. It could be envy or jealousy.
I've had some great feedback from my weight loss and I carry photos of myself to show those (and myself) when I was six stone heavier!
You should be proud of your achievements and a good Rey is just trying to convince them they could do with losing a few pounds!
I got told by my chief executive that if I lost more weight I would slip through the bars of a drainage grid!

I have a gold ring that is my pride and joy and have had it downsized twice!
(It didn't cost that much!)

Oh yeah! I've gone through xml, xl, large, now I get clothing that are medium! (Woo hoo!)

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have to be honest since starting Lchf and losing just over a stone and a half, Hubble took me shopping for clothes as in his words a bag lady has better fitting clothes than me. The thing that made me go was carrying the washing upstairs the other day and having to shout to my son to stay in his room as my trousers had fallen down. After all I couldn't drop the washing. Such is a diabetics life

Reactions: Prem51

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I really couldn't give a fig what other people think of my nearly 50 kg weight loss. Maybe I am old and ugly enough not to worry about such things.

However, what I do know is that I feel excellent, my BP has dropped into the normal range, BG levels are normal, BMI could be better (was 40+) and I can now buy clothes in normal shops (not outsize shops).

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have only lost a stone but already have had negative comments. One lass said I looked haggard, I replied that if I carried on with high bg I would look even more haggard 'cos I'd be dead!
And yes, even losing this small amount means I have had to buy knew knickers lol

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
IF you are comfortable and have good health at your current weight, then there is no problem. Your life - your rules.

Reactions: Guzzler

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
My wife worries about my weight being a bit low, but I think this is mainly because it is good to have a fat reserve should anything untoward happen.

In event of an unexpected illness, an accident, surgery etc. you have a better prognosis if your body is carrying reserves of fat.

14.5 stone down to 12 stone completely wrecked my wardrobe.:(

Reactions: Crystalwand

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
People tend to be like that - especially in this day in age where slender people seem to be in the minority. Here's your chance of having fun with it. Are you a story teller? You could create a fictional tale of how you caught some parasite while doing some bizarre activity and ... Just make sure you stick with the same story for everyone who asks - the last time I did that I forgot and had three different stories on the go - it caught up with me LOL

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There used to be adult men who boxed at flyweight and bantam weight - they just don't exist now because people are so much heavier - and it is what people are used to.
My dad was 10 stone all his adult life, and was never called thin, let alone skinny.

Reactions: MrGrumpyD

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am expecting some similar comments when I go to visit my brother and sister later this year. I live more than 400 miles away so I don't get to see them more often than once a year and it's just possible I may now be the slimmest of the three of us, that's never been the case before.
Weight has been a constant battle for all of us and I'm going to try to explain insulin resistance, wish me luck!

I too understand the wardrobe issues, I'm on my fourth batch of underwear replacements and I started off trying to alter clothes from my wardrobe but couldn't keep up. Mr gee has a good laugh when I reach something I used to wear out.

It's a good problem to have compared to high BG readings though :) I'm fitter, feel better and am healthier than I've been in years.

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to take apart and remake the kilt I wear as part of my Morris dancing kit in order to visit Sidmouth folk festival this week.

Reactions: geefull