Wife has Type 2

ColinJ

My wife who as had T2 for about 4 years who was taking 1 tablet a day up to about 18 months ago when GP took he off the tablets,she had a fasting BT last Febuary which she was OK,she had another fasting BT last friday 6th Jan results came through today at 6.2 GP says hes happy with that for another 12 months, my wife his 67 years riddled with arthritis her mobilty is very poor,heavy smoker,and likes of couple GTs every night as a night cap,and she takes everything in he stride,my point is she does not let T2 take over her life-wow just wished i could be like that-me a born worrier. :thumbup:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Colin :)
If you want to ask any questions about something that could help your wife, ask us and someone is sure to be able to help. You are only a worrier because you care so much :)

ColinJ

Daisy1. I dont worry to much about my wife, her fasting BT as come back 6.2 without medication,my problem is that i have probably read to much about diabetes and the horrific complications that can come with it,i was just trying to point out that taking it your stride can be a great benefactor,but i find it difficult to do that. :roll:

rinfrance

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I bet she is on Metformin, now I am not going to give you the correct rhetoric because you get a whole load of people start slagging me off, however, try loads of marmite and see if she feels better after say a week. Better yet try vitamin B12 at 1ml a day for several days.
I say no more, but it would be nice if you came back and said what effect it has.
I will elucidate if you come back with the response I am looking for.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Hi

My opinion only and others may disagree but at 6.2 your wife is under the NHS target range of 6.5 to 7.5 so she's doing well. A 6.2 on the test she probably had equates to blood sugar readings you would get on a test meter of around 7.2 which is again below the 7.8 threshold that many believe complications can start at if regularly exceeded. Your wife isn't regularly exceeding the limit because the test she did (and because of the way blood cells work) measures the average amount of sugars in her blood over the past 90 - 120 days not just the day she took it.

Many of us on this forum try for a test result your wife took of under 6 as sub 6 you become very close to the blood sugar ranges of a non diabetic person but its each persons personal choice. I'm not sure where the score is for a true non diabetic but I would guess it's around 5. If she was at school I would guess she'd be getting around an A- if that helps!

Grazer

xyzzy said:
I'm not sure where the score is for a true non diabetic but I would guess it's around 5.

If it helps, a true healthy and young non-diabetic would expect to be about 4.6, but could be up to 5.5
As you get older, HbA1C increases; I read somewhere that over 60 a non-diabetic could see it rise by 0.1 a year. Doesn't sound much, but by 70.......means you could easily be over 6 anyway! That will be my excuse!