Will I feel normal again thanks

Will I feel normal again

• Yes

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Seanasmith

Hi I’m new to this so bear with me in 2016 I was diagnosed as type two ok I can live with that I was bad and drank and ate a lot of bad things my fault so got put on metformin drs told me keep monitoring my bloods a changed all my diet my bloods where never coming under 20 kept going back to drs they would do there tests it’s ok heads more tablets up the tablets and so on for three years since 2018 I was starting to get moody tired angry I lost 6 stone I lost all my muscle mass to this day I have sagging skin where I was a bit chunky and muscley I thought it was me until today my first ever hospital appointment walked in the room the dr blunt as a hammer says your drs incompetence has made you sick I’m surprised your still alive you should be and have done since 2016 my first blood test been type one some finger prick they done when I went in to day was 587 he showed me a number on his screen said 0 to 9.9 is where I should be I don’t no so now first day of insulin scary but does anyone no will I get my weight my health my life back where I’m not tired all the time my sex drive what ever that is will that come back I’m 34 I fell 74 thanks

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
So many of us have been misdiagnosed for years. I was misdiagnosed for over 8 years and luckily I was put on insulin fairly early because the medications all made me sick. But it took years before I was put on that slow acting insulin. then more years before they added a fast acting one. Then I switched doctors and was properly diagnosed.

In LADA, it takes years to fully develop, you make insulin that slowly decreases as time goes on until you don't make any. This process can take years and years to happen. It's called the honeymoon phase. I thrived on insulin and you will too. I can't say there isn't damage because I have no idea what you could have wrong, but most of us are fine as long as we take our insulin appropriately. It's what we need to be able to utilize the food we eat. Even broccoli!!!! So you can go back to building muscle because you will have the fuel they need!

So cheer up, once you get your insulin needs sorted out, you should go back to pretty much feeling "normal". I snorkel now more than ever!!!!

Reactions: Prem51

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
not felt normal for a long time laughs

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum @Seanasmith. Unfortunately a lot of Type 1s are initially wrongly diagnosed as T2. It seems many GPs assume that it must be Type 2 if the person is not diagnosed as T1 as a child or in teens or early adulthood.
I can't remember the figure offhand, but I think it's over 30% of late onset T1s are wrongly diagnosed as T2 . Really more tests should be done when people are first diagnosed as diabetic.
But now you have been correctly identified as T1 and getting the appropriate insulin treatment you should start to feel better.

I'm T2 so don't know much about T1, but there are a lot of T1s on the forum who can give you any advice you need.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning @Seanasmith, welcome
I've never felt normal even before I was diagnosed so can't help you there. LOL!! but insulin and carb counting will give you control. Join our chats Type 1 stars R us in the Type 1 bit, fun and informative.

Gran25

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ha ha! Trick question...who says I was normal to begin with?

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with type 1 54 years ago. Yes, you will recover from this. It is not at all surprising that you have been feeling terrible, or that you have lost any muscle you originally had. The loss of muscle is a typical symptom of untreated type 1 diabetes. Thank goodness you got to see someone at a hospital clinic in the end. You could have ended up dead, to put it bluntly. Your body will take a while to recover from what has been going on. It won't happen magically overnight, but you should gradually feel slightly better day by day. You are likely to be ravenously hungry, as your body will be looking to replace the lost muscle as soon as it has insulin again and is able to do so. You are likely to gain weight rapidly as a result. The dreadful tiredness will also lift gradually. I would recommend taking it easy to start with. We are all different, so nobody can give you a definite date on which you will feel totally okay, but you will get there. You are only in your thirties and have your age on your side. Give yourself time to get over this and try not to worry.

Most of the time, type 1 diabetes is just a bit of a nuisance to be honest. Most people get used to coping with it fairly rapidly. I hope you have been told about needing to have fast-acting carbohydrate available just in case your blood sugar drops below normal. If there is anything you want to ask about, please tell us.
Best wishes for the future - and yes, you have got one !

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Seanasmith insulin at T1 will soon be just another part of your life. You will feel better than you have been as the insulin does it’s job and you actually get energy from your food again.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My guess, @Seanasmith is you will develop a new normal. It'll never be the old normal, because there's different "stuff" to do, but bearing in mind how challenging recent times have been for you, some of those new things will likely have you feeling better than you might have done for some time.

Take it steady and give yourself time to recover.

Reactions: Prem51 and Marie 2

Seanasmith

Thank you everyone who as commented between you all you have told me more than the hospital but they did say let it sink in before they bombard me with everything else I have been put on 4 units for my meals so when I do my bloods first there average 11 to 13 two hours after there 24 to 29 and that’s only eating tuna salad and chicken salad I speak to the nurse on Tuesday do I tell her before Tuesday or wait till Tuesday thank you to you all

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I would tell her before, I think an adjustment is needed, but they will let you know in case they want to make sure you are staying at those numbers before they do an adjustment.

Seanasmith

I would tell her before, I think an adjustment is needed, but they will let you know in case they want to make sure you are staying at those numbers before they do an adjustment.
Thank you I emailed her with my last three readings before and after food and it’s weird as I’ve never been under 20 and I got my first 10.1 yesterday but it just goes straight back up the minute I eat I start feel sick and dizzy after 10 minutes of eating then an hour passes and I’m ok