Will I still lose weight/lower blood sugars if I keep cheating on keto?

Lawrencepa

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sometimes events make it really hard not to cheat. Parties or holidays. I have cheated on average once a month but I know I should be doing better. Its not like I'm craving carbs but it's more just impulsiveness. I'm meant to be doing keto and I know I'm not really meant to be cheating. I cheated a few days ago and this stalled weight loss quite a bit but I'm confident I can get the weight to go down in the grand scheme of things. What will happen to my blood sugar if I have occasional cheat day?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What I find with mine is that my daily average goes up or down according to the cheat value. A bad scenario for me is that two consecutive cheat days raises my daily average by as much as two mmol and it can take an unspecified number of days to bring it back down. Should I cheat during that recovery then the average stays up longer.

Currently I average about 7.3 but looking back through the records I have managed into the 9's more than once. This translates into an Hba1c of the low 40's up to the mid 50's.

I have an ambition to do the whole three months prior to an Hba1c test with no cheat days but I have yet to manage it. I think it comes into the category of an unsustainable lifestyle.

The averages I quote are those recorded by my Libre and not finger prick tests.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes events make it really hard not to cheat. Parties or holidays. I have cheated on average once a month but I know I should be doing better. Its not like I'm craving carbs but it's more just impulsiveness. I'm meant to be doing keto and I know I'm not really meant to be cheating. I cheated a few days ago and this stalled weight loss quite a bit but I'm confident I can get the weight to go down in the grand scheme of things. What will happen to my blood sugar if I have occasional cheat day?

What do these cheat times do to your BS levels? That should give you your answer.

Lawrencepa

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What do these cheat times do to your BS levels? That should give you your answer.

I don't check my blood sugars as I'm not diabetic. I'm prediabetic but going to get my blood sugars checked from GP soon. Hopefully that will give me my answer

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't check my blood sugars as I'm not diabetic. I'm prediabetic but going to get my blood sugars checked from GP soon. Hopefully that will give me my answer

Being pre-diabetic doesn't disqualify you from testing your blood sugars, in fact it is good plan to do this because as a pre-diabetic you are at risk of the full blown disease, so you need to know you are getting your diet right in order to avoid it.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
The standard food everywhere is high carb a carbo-genic so don't be too hard on yourself.

Reactions: 2Much_SugarShan