1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Will It Take Awhile To Start Losing Weight

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by collectors, Jul 22, 2018.

1. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ps: the weight loss will come. Give yourself a moment!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Wilber123

Wilber123 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I had coffee and heavy cream for Breakfast
    2egg omelet with small salad for lunch.
    Evening meal was Steak cauliflower
    Broccoli and one very small egg size potato. Small amount of greasy.
    All good but one I’d eaten my evening meal I became so hungry.
    Iv gone nuts.
    5 segments of Chocolate orange. and a current bun with butter.
    What happened Iv been in control for about 6/7 weeks. Now I could not stop eating.

• Hug Hug x 1
  3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

I'm guessing the spud triggered some carb cravings.. and you didn't smother your green veg in butter so not enough fat in the main meal for satiety?

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Those darn carbs are always waiting in the wings, just waiting to bite you on the bum.

Don't beat yourself up, tomorrow is a new day, just get back on the wagon. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I agree. Tomorrow is an other day!
    Keep at it.

I only started losing once I stop nuts, cheese and double cream. Too much fat for my needs.
    Still had bacon and mayo but no chicken skin.
    I just didn't burn fat in my body as well when I overloaded my system with it too. I don't think it agreed with my underactive thyroid needs.

6. Chronicle_Cat

Chronicle_Cat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I found it didn't take long for the weight loss to show up, I lost the first week.

I've been on a lower carb diet (80 carbs or less) and lower calorie diet. (1300 or less). Most days I'm under these targets, the only one I've gone over is fat 46g and I not to do that often as I want to lose weight.) I lost 3.96 lbs the first week, 4.19 lbs the second and 2.43 lbs this week. Bear in mind that I may be quite a bit heavier than you, I started at 273.59 lbs, now 263.01. (if your starting weight is higher, you lose more than someone with a much lower starting weight.) I've also heard that the weight loss is most dramatic on the first several weeks.

I'm counting both carbs & calories, I use an app called Carb Master on my Smartphone which makes it very easy to count them, you set your own goals and you can scan/custom input foods. It also counts water consumption, weight and exercise (the registered version will do blood sugar but I don't test blood.) I've starting exercising 5 days out of 6.

I hope to bring my a1c levels down as I tested at 7 in my last blood test (my other tests were normal). My doctor advised me to lose weight, eat fewer carbs, more nonstarchy vegetables and exercise. (In this part of Canada, you don't get the diagnosis with a single hb1ac test, it takes 3 tests over 1 year.) I'm hoping to avoid a diagnosis of type 2.

• Like Like x 2
    #26 Chronicle_Cat, Jul 24, 2018 at 6:29 PM
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  7. smc4761

smc4761 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I am type 1 and have been low carbing most days being doing this now for about 12 weeks

main things I cut out were no bread, pasta, rice or potatoes and have lost 10pounds. Just replaced them with veg, eg instead of chicken and potaoes, its now chicken, with large portion of veg cauliflower, peppers, mushroomsTo be honest that is it still eat normally aprt from that eg semi skimmed milk, and only do the low carbing for 5 of 7 days. At weekend i will have a takeaway with rice, and maybe a bacon roll on Sunday

Hopefully you can keep going and you will lose what you wish good luck

• Like Like x 2
  8. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I remember on lchf I lost nothing. Everyone around me was losing but once I reduced (stopped) cheese, pork stratchings and nuts I started losing nicely.
    Although I was wondering if my thyroid had started behaving itself so I was losing, every week.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook