totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya all :D hope you are all well,
ive been to fracture clinic today and forgot to ask whether my break will heal slower and or if i need to keep an eye out for anything in particular due to being diabetic? has anyone any advice and/or past experiences?
thanks in advance
amanda :)

peppiB

Hi Amanda
I hope not! :shock: I am currently nursing a painful broken rib. Last time I broke this same rib it took 5 weeks for the thing to heal and the pain to go. Am 2 weeks in this time and counting the days!! :(

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
ouch ,hope it heals soon, ive broke my ankle and fractured my heel bone in two grrrr
hope we both heal quickly x

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
The nearer you keep your BG to normal( 4.2 - 5.6 ) or thereabouts and the steadier, the better for healing

peppiB

totsy said:
ouch ,hope it heals soon, ive broke my ankle and fractured my heel bone in two grrrr
hope we both heal quickly x

So do I !! At least I don't have a plaster to cope with.

I had managed to get my BS down to 5.8 - 6.5 but now with the rib it has gone up again and is averaging 7.5 Diet hasn't changed, just the broken rib.

LizzieP

hello,
i broke my foot last year 5 months after T1 diagnosis (what a year that was!) and i was told it would take 6 weeks to heal (same advice that they give everyone for the fracture i had) but i was fine in 4 weeks so I don't think having diabetes has to be an issue. i did get to wear a rather jazzy boot-type contraption, though!
hope you both get well soon!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Peppib
are you less active if your BG is going up a bit?

peppiB

hanadr said:
Peppib
are you less active if your BG is going up a bit?

Only slightly. Although painful I do manage a short swim, and am always on the go chasing around after the woman I am carer to. Am hoping BS comes down again once rib heals. Had a couple of days respite this week and blood pressure came right down, but that had no effect on the BS

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
totsy said:
hya all :D hope you are all well,
ive been to fracture clinic today and forgot to ask whether my break will heal slower and or if i need to keep an eye out for anything in particular due to being diabetic? has anyone any advice and/or past experiences?
thanks in advance
amanda :)

Hi Totsy/Amanda.

Here is a link to some technical info regarding a study of Diabetic Patients with a broken ankle.
http://www.viamedica.pl/gazety/gazeta9/ ... ks_art=419

Here is an extract from the conclusions.
Complications:
Hard to treat infections, disturbances of bone union and skin necrosis are the most serious complications occurring in diabetic patients with ankle fractures.
Time for healing compared to a Non-Diabetic Patient.
Also the time of fracture healing is elongated by 1.63 times, both in diabetes type 1 (1.57) and type 2 (1.76). In dislocated fractures it is 1.87 times longer, in those treated with operative
methods 1.86 times longer and in treated with non--operative methods 1.42 times longer.

Hope that helps.
Ken.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
thanks very much,the ankle break is only minor its the calcaneus thats worse, ive to keep it totally immobile for 4 weeks so will lower my insulins to try and keep a good reading :D
thanks for the link its very interesting