1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

will my break heal slower?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by totsy, May 8, 2009.

1. totsy

totsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

hya all :D hope you are all well,
    ive been to fracture clinic today and forgot to ask whether my break will heal slower and or if i need to keep an eye out for anything in particular due to being diabetic? has anyone any advice and/or past experiences?
    thanks in advance
    amanda :)

2. peppiB

peppiB · Well-Known Member

Hi Amanda
    I hope not! :shock: I am currently nursing a painful broken rib. Last time I broke this same rib it took 5 weeks for the thing to heal and the pain to go. Am 2 weeks in this time and counting the days!! :(

3. totsy

ouch ,hope it heals soon, ive broke my ankle and fractured my heel bone in two grrrr
    hope we both heal quickly x

4. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

The nearer you keep your BG to normal( 4.2 - 5.6 ) or thereabouts and the steadier, the better for healing

5. peppiB

So do I !! At least I don't have a plaster to cope with.

I had managed to get my BS down to 5.8 - 6.5 but now with the rib it has gone up again and is averaging 7.5 Diet hasn't changed, just the broken rib.

6. LizzieP

LizzieP · Well-Known Member

hello,
    i broke my foot last year 5 months after T1 diagnosis (what a year that was!) and i was told it would take 6 weeks to heal (same advice that they give everyone for the fracture i had) but i was fine in 4 weeks so I don't think having diabetes has to be an issue. i did get to wear a rather jazzy boot-type contraption, though!
    hope you both get well soon!

7. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

Peppib
    are you less active if your BG is going up a bit?

8. peppiB

Only slightly. Although painful I do manage a short swim, and am always on the go chasing around after the woman I am carer to. Am hoping BS comes down again once rib heals. Had a couple of days respite this week and blood pressure came right down, but that had no effect on the BS

9. cugila

cugila · Master

Hi Totsy/Amanda.

Here is a link to some technical info regarding a study of Diabetic Patients with a broken ankle.
    http://www.viamedica.pl/gazety/gazeta9/ ... ks_art=419

Here is an extract from the conclusions.
    Complications:
    Hard to treat infections, disturbances of bone union and skin necrosis are the most serious complications occurring in diabetic patients with ankle fractures.
    ............................................................................
    Time for healing compared to a Non-Diabetic Patient.
    Also the time of fracture healing is elongated by 1.63 times, both in diabetes type 1 (1.57) and type 2 (1.76). In dislocated fractures it is 1.87 times longer, in those treated with operative
    methods 1.86 times longer and in treated with non--operative methods 1.42 times longer.

Hope that helps.
    Ken.

10. totsy

thanks very much,the ankle break is only minor its the calcaneus thats worse, ive to keep it totally immobile for 4 weeks so will lower my insulins to try and keep a good reading :D
    thanks for the link its very interesting

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook