Will someone please shoot Desmond.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He was started on them 20 years ago. Totally different health environment. I may have taken them then
** shudders at the thought **
Geoff

p.s. He doesn't connect size with diet, but with feeling in the right place. He and others rejected "what was on offer".
I wonder if he's a Libra ?
Geoff

'We do not need dietry advice we aren't obese '

I might be obese but I can read! He clearly does connect size with diet.

When it comes to T2 the slim need dietary advice too. OK, not the advice that Desmond offers, no one needs that, it's plain wrong, but diet is important when it comes to T2. Diet has nothing to do with losing weight but everything to do with controlling blood sugar levels.

@Old Chuffer The best advice I can give you is to get a blood glucose monitor and test your BG levels before you eat a meal and again at 1 and 2 hours afterwards (as per daisy's post above) If you do this you will find which food suits you personally and you will be able to find the right diet (by this I mean way of eating, not weight loss diet) for you.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agree with zand. Eat to a meter. I just has a small slice of lemon drizzle cake, made up of about 15gm carb, xylitol, lemon, low carb Greek yoghurt , bit of sunflower oil. My bg shot up 4mmol after an hour! I guess I won’t be eating dinky slices of lemon drizzle cake again unless made with almond flour. Given my reaction to carbs, I will probably go into orbit!

Reactions: kokhongw and zand

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
'We do not need dietry advice we aren't obese '

I might be obese but I can read! He clearly does connect size with diet.

When it comes to T2 the slim need dietary advice too. OK, not the advice that Desmond offers, no one needs that, it's plain wrong, but diet is important when it comes to T2. Diet has nothing to do with losing weight but everything to do with controlling blood sugar levels.

@Old Chuffer The best advice I can give you is to get a blood glucose monitor and test your BG levels before you eat a meal and again at 1 and 2 hours afterwards (as per daisy's post above) If you do this you will find which food suits you personally and you will be able to find the right diet (by this I mean way of eating, not weight loss diet) for you.
For MOST people, dieting is ALL repeat ALL about losing weight. Diet (in the generally accepted meaning) is to healthy eating what health is to fitness. They sound similar but they're NOT the same.
I think you're interpreting comments and adding your own understanding.
I'll make no further replies.
Geoff

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For MOST people, dieting is ALL repeat ALL about losing weight. Diet (in the generally accepted meaning) is to healthy eating what health is to fitness. They sound similar but they're NOT the same.
Geoff
Do you know what? I am just trying to help the guy, you are perpetuating the myth that the slim have got it right already. This isn't going to help him ( or any other newbies who are reading this) at all.

Reactions: hankjam

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Geoff

Dieting and diet are, as you suggest, different. Diet does not have to be healthy and very often isn't.

Interpretation and responses are the life blood of a forum, which are opinion based and range from "right" to "wrong".

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you know what? I am just trying to help the guy, you are perpetuating the myth that the slim have got it right already. This isn't going to help him ( or any other newbies who are reading this) at all.
You're doing the same with me now. 'Interpreting' my comments, and misrepresenting them.
I'm replying because you've added something new to the thread.
I would encourage ALL diabetics to learn about healthy eating, healthy lipid panels, statins etc.
Geoff

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You're doing the same with me now. 'Interpreting' my comments, and misrepresenting them.
I'm replying because you've added something new to the thread.
I would encourage ALL diabetics to learn about healthy eating, healthy lipid panels, statins etc.
Geoff
Yes I would encourage that too. :)
I have just noticed that the OP hasn't actually asked for help in any of his three posts so far, so I'll butt out of this thread now too :)

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a bit concerned that you don't think you need dietary advice because you are slim. A slim person's diet can be worse than an obese person's diet.
** Thought Police alert **
You appear concerned over something the OP NEVER said.
Rather he stated "Might start a not a Desmond course for thin diabetics". implying he felt the help was inappropriate for him. He didn't say he wouldn't welcome appropriate help.
You state later that you're trying to help. I find nothing in this post 'helpful', whether true or not.
Agreeing to differ
Geoff

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
** Thought Police alert **
You appear concerned over something the OP NEVER said.
Rather he stated "Might start a not a Desmond course for thin diabetics". implying he felt the help was inappropriate for him. He didn't say he wouldn't welcome appropriate help.
You state later that you're trying to help. I find nothing in this post 'helpful', whether true or not.
Agreeing to differ
Geoff
Now you are just arguing for the sake of it. When someone says 'We don't need dietary advice' I assume they mean that they don't need dietary advice.
:hilarious: Read my last post.
Yes I would encourage that too. :)
I have just noticed that the OP hasn't actually asked for help in any of his three posts so far, so I'll butt out of this thread now too :)
He hasn't asked for help from this forum in any of his posts, he implies (albeit it perhaps jokingly) that he thinks he knows enough to help slim T2s already! Good luck to him. If you don't think my advice to 'eat to your meter' was good perhaps you can give him better advice.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK. Enough with the bickering.

If I was the OP I would have logged out long ago, with the impression that some forum members are more interested in scoring points than in offering support. Which would be a pity, since that isn’t what this forum is about, and it helps no one to derail threads like this.

Further squabbling will be deleted.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My cardiologist suggested a low carb diet ten years ago. I have folllowed his advice ever since as I have a conjenital heart condition and a propensity towards barely controlled high BP. My wife is a retired GP practice manager so was always upto date with the latest thinking. I just find the harping carping advice approach galling to the point of wanting to throw something at someone. I repeat I've done everthing right throughout my life yet still find myself with this unwanted albatross. I've been on statins for 20 years and am beginning to wonder what part they've played in my diagnosis
@Old Chuffer they may have played a significant part - my hba1c was 48 on diagnosis but within 3 months of taking statins it increased to 54 but reduced again once I came off them due to other side effects. My hba1c has now been in the 30s for the last 4 years.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm with you on making our own choices for ourselves and self-educating. That's what I do too, I have never been offered a Desmond course and wouldn't accept the invitation if I was offered one. My comment was to do with the view that the OP expressed that if someone isn't fat then their diet is OK. My hubby isn't fat, but I can tell you his diet would not be any good at all if he were T2.

IMO opinion it's a shame the OP didn't self educate re statins too.
Agree with you there @zand - my husband is just over 9 stone and eats Frosties for b/fast, has 3 sugars in his tea and munches Jelly Babies, buscuits and crisps like they are going out of fashion.

Reactions: zand