will the night shift rise the glucose level ?

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone,

will the night shift rise the glucose level ? My employer are forcing me to work in night shift. I work in software company.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi Everyone,

will the night shift rise the glucose level ? My employer are forcing me to work in night shift. I work in software company.
My experience of working nights in the past was that as long as you monitor it and adjust your insulin accordingly, then no it won't. It's down to you to manage it.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How is your employer forcing you into a night shift is it in your employment contract that you do it
I am sure there are people here who can tell you how they manage if they have to do a night shift

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No There is no employment contract to work in night shift. My previous project is completed and now i m free now so they are forcing me to accept any project on any shift.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you on basal bolus insulin regime? If so, you leave your bolus injections at the same time, and continue to inject bolus with each carbohydrate meal.

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you on basal bolus insulin regime? If so, you leave your bolus injections at the same time, and continue to inject bolus with each carbohydrate meal.
No I am taking lantus (Long term acting) insulin injection.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, I meant to type "leave your basal injection(s) at the same time, and continue to inject bolus with each carbohydrate meal".
It's very unusual for someone with type 1 diabetes to inject only basal / long acting insulin, with no bolus.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm doing night shifts for 4 weeks and I've already done a week and its messed up my blood sugars alot. I'm on a basal bolus regime and I find my blood sugars to be low when I'm working and high when I get back home and go sleep. I don't like doing night shifts, but its the only work I can get.

kryzton

Hi I've been working night shifts at Sainsbury's for 3 years now and got diagnosed with T1D in November it was a struggle at first but u get use to it after a while. It's mainly trail and error same with going to the gym or any other workout

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I agree with kryzton - I did night shifts about 25 years ago when I was working in the radio industry. I ended up doing 3 months of night shifts before I said - screw this! I had to re-organize my whole regimen (eating - shot taking), never got enough sleep so I was tired all the time. It was brutal. If anything you will become much more experienced in controlling your Blood Sugar Levels by doing this and hopefully you won;t have any problems sleeping during the days. I think it's important to get a good quality sleep as well in order to reduce any stresses on ones body and mind. Good luck and all the best!

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just started back to work doing shifts a year after type 1 diagnosis. I'm on MDI too. I find libre invaluable in understanding what's going on, believe most dsns can organise a free trial. Think with libre or finger pricking key is frequent testing, in my case I've been low carbing on shift to avoid bolusing at night. Good luck with it all

Kezroz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ive been diagnosed with type 2 and this is my first night back on night shift, just started the pills yesterday, feel drained and sore tonight, feeling sorry for myself doesnt help either, but just got to get on with it i suppose, havent had any sleep since being told by doc yesterday, so probably thats taking affect aswell, gonna sleep all day today when i get finished hopefully.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck with it kezroz hope it passes smoothly. You've just heard some pretty tough news so please try z and be gentle with yourself. Will think of you as i work through tonight's shift. Take care

Reactions: Kezroz