Windness and fasting

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a rather delicate question to ask regarding fasting. Does anyone else experience extra windiness when fasting? I don't have any pain, discomfort, cramps or bloating, it's just noisy on the days I fast (not so much for intermittent fasting).It’s isn’t really a problem but it isn’t socially desirable.

I've been eating low carb for 7 months now and I don't experience this effect after vegetables like cabbage. I don't know it's the fasting or the fact my internal "plumbing" is different than most people's - I had a extended hemicolectomy (the upper 1/2 of my colon removed) for cancer related reasons 2 years ago (no, I don't wear a colostomy bag as I had the top part removed). However I’m not windy at other times, just when fasting.

Anyone else out there experience this when fasting? Are there any others who've had part of their colon removed?

Last edited:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Chronicle_Cat, I am glad you are well and hope it remains that way.
A question to help clarify: I assume you still have fluids whilst fasting ? If so, do they include say, low sugar soft drinks? Just thinking that the fizziness can increase wind.
Other wise my guess is that the bowel bugs for some reason are more active whilst you are fasting and 'munch through' residual fibres in your large colon producing the wind.
Whether a supplement of probiotics (bowel bugs) would help reduce the wind by altering the balance of bowel bug types in your colon, maybe ??

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@kitedoc thank you for the reply. I only drink water or black tea when fasting and I never drink diet soda anymore. Probiotics sound like a good idea, my daughter with IBS takes them.

I did a little research, apparently almost 70% of people with the type of colectomy I've had report flatulence. I know when your stomach is empty, there is no food to muffle the sound (as the stomach is always active). I wonder if a similar things is happening for me.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Chronicle_Cat, 70% suggests a common cause.
If your doctor or nurse agrees is there anything to lose by trying some probiotics?
Completely as a guess it might need to be one group for ? 2 to 3 weeks, then if no improvement a ? 2 week 'washout' time and then another type of probiotic whilst maintaining a similar type of prebiotic through out?
Or perhaps starting with the prebiotic first to see if that by itself makes a difference.
Pre-biotics - maybe for consistency something like a brand of inulin (? powder). Of course if inulin seems to make things worse then a different pre-biotic might be needed.
It is all a bit of trial and error I am afraid but I wish you every success!!!!