Windows 10

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Because they're all unique, and can afford to spend millions inhouse to produce a system specifically for their own needs?
No because it is so stable and virus free.
Imagine the space station running on Windows!!!!!!
Download updates.
Install updates.
Configure updates.
The thing would crash without even getting a virus!
Updates on Linux don't disturb you don't nag you and are more often for the protection of the Windows users you interact with.
So we Linux users don't pass something on through an infected email that's doing the rounds that we wouldn't notice because it wouldn't be harmful to us and we don't have any software warning us.

It's very fast too because it doesn't have a whole load of security measures running in the background slowing everything down.
It doesn't them.
If you get a virus on Windows machine it can rapidly spread throughout the system or the registry.
Linux doesn't have a registry.
Most virusses are .exe meaning they are executable files .... they are programmes that can run and do all manner of damage.
This cannot happen in a system with no registry.
On the off chance you do get a virus on a Linux system .... say one that is targetting Firefox then that is all it can infect. A restart is usually enough to repair it.
If not you just download and install Firefox again .... it cannot spread to anything else.
I've been using Linux around a dozen years and I have never had a virus.
I know people who never bother updating to the latest Linux .... some running ten year old stuff and every things just fine.
Everything is free too.
Top quality stuff that usually surpasses Windows compatible stuff that can cost you lots.

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
i have still not my message asking me to upgrade

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No because it is so stable and virus free.
Imagine the space station running on Windows!!!!!!
Download updates.
Install updates.
Configure updates.
The thing would crash without even getting a virus!
Updates on Linux don't disturb you don't nag you and are more often for the protection of the Windows users you interact with.
So we Linux users don't pass something on through an infected email that's doing the rounds that we wouldn't notice because it wouldn't be harmful to us and we don't have any software warning us.

It's very fast too because it doesn't have a whole load of security measures running in the background slowing everything down.
It doesn't them.
If you get a virus on Windows machine it can rapidly spread throughout the system or the registry.
Linux doesn't have a registry.
Most virusses are .exe meaning they are executable files .... they are programmes that can run and do all manner of damage.
This cannot happen in a system with no registry.
On the off chance you do get a virus on a Linux system .... say one that is targetting Firefox then that is all it can infect. A restart is usually enough to repair it.
If not you just download and install Firefox again .... it cannot spread to anything else.
I've been using Linux around a dozen years and I have never had a virus.
I know people who never bother updating to the latest Linux .... some running ten year old stuff and every things just fine.
Everything is free too.
Top quality stuff that usually surpasses Windows compatible stuff that can cost you lots.

Actually, it's things like the fact I can simply press a few (virtual) buttons on my phone, set up a wireless data link to my PC, connect my PC to the internet using the free data allowance on my phone, and connect to the world, from anywhere with a mobile phone connection that I like.

Can I do that if my Windows phone is running linux?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Actually, it's things like the fact I can simply press a few (virtual) buttons on my phone, set up a wireless data link to my PC, connect my PC to the internet using the free data allowance on my phone, and connect to the world, from anywhere with a mobile phone connection that I like.

Can I do that if my Windows phone is running linux?
Most phones will connect to Linux I don't know about a Windows one.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
If you like Windows then stick with it.
No ones trying to force you to do anything different.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, saying as it's a thread about Windows 10, and I've successfully loaded it onto two laptops, and it seems too seamlessly integrate with my windows phone, and my Android tablet, I think I will stick with it, and post the success up on here as well.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Well, saying as it's a thread about Windows 10, and I've successfully loaded it onto two laptops, and it seems too seamlessly integrate with my windows phone, and my Android tablet, I think I will stick with it, and post the success up on here as well.
Good on ya.

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Can anyone tell me why I have not got the message to say I can upgrade

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Can anyone tell me why I have not got the message to say I can upgrade
It's happening in stages to avoid the internets bandwith being swamped.
Billions ...yeah billions of puters are going to be getting this.
I've not had it either on my Windows machine but I'm not wanting it anyway.

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
It's happening in stages to avoid the internets bandwith being swamped.
Billions ...yeah billions of puters are going to be getting this.
I've not had it either on my Windows machine but I'm not wanting it anyway.

Yes I know it will take long time

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I installed it soon after the launch install was straightforward think it took about 2/3 hours. So far so good not had any problems and it is so much better than Windows 8 which was a total pain and I could not wait to get rid of it. The only thing I have not been able to figure out yet is where the recycle bin is. I do have another laptop with Windows 7 and did get a message saying something on it was not compatible with Windows 10 so staying with 7 on that one may not be a bad thing if I do have any future problems with 10

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am reserving my options at the moment. My laptop is quite elderly (W7, and about 4 years old) and I am not sure it's worth the potential risk of a W10 install messing everything up when I will probably have to get a new machine in the next few months anyway.

I have heard several people complain that there are problems with W10 getting laptops to power up again, when they have gone to sleep because of the lid being closed. Also we have a slightly temperamental wireless printer and I have a grim foreboding that a W10 install will render it completely incompatible.

Bets firmly hedged ... :)
I had to get a new printer because the HP wireless one I used with Windows 7...mine was about 4 years old... was not compatible when I got a new laptop with Windows 8.1 New one works fine with Windows 10 so I presume older printers may not work with it