1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Wine and Metformin?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by FranOnTheEdge, Mar 17, 2016.

1. FranOnTheEdge

FranOnTheEdge Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm on Metformin, specifically: Glucophage/Prolonged Release, Metformin Hydrochloride. When I was on the previous stuff, the ordinary Metformin, the doc said "no alcohol".
    I've read the leaflet for this version, and that is a little vague about alcohol.
    So I wondered if anyone else here has the same medication and if so, can you have the occasional glass of red wine? only I haven't had any since December last year, and I really, really miss it.

2. PenfoldAPD

PenfoldAPD Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I take Metformin and drink red wine (not lots anymore) but I enjoy a glass of red wine - less sugar in red

3. FranOnTheEdge

FranOnTheEdge Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So happy to hear that, so much so that I dared to have a sip or two of my husband's glass of red wine, lovely!

4. andcol

andcol I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Metformin messes with the liver's function and so does alcohol. If you are going to have it then start with a small amount and see if that has an effect and if not try a little more.

For me Met and alcohol didnt go but then met lasted 3 weeks before I had a severe reaction to it (the met not alcohol that is)

5. PenfoldAPD

PenfoldAPD Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just wondering how a severe reaction manifests itself? What did you experience? I'm on LCHF so red wine is one of my pleasures a few times a week, haven't had bad reaction (that I know of), interested to understand so I can educate myself - thank you

6. andcol

andcol I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Severe for me was acidic blood and my whole vascular system feeling like it was on fire - shortness of breath and feeling like I was going to die; cleared up within 24 hours of stopping the Met.

Note this was nothing to do with alcohol just my bodies rejection of met.

• Like Like x 2
  7. PatsyB

PatsyB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I wa stold if I was to drink any wine etc to stop taking the Metformin the nigth before as can cause reactions :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook