Wine and Metformin?

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,
Hi, I'm on Metformin, specifically: Glucophage/Prolonged Release, Metformin Hydrochloride. When I was on the previous stuff, the ordinary Metformin, the doc said "no alcohol".
I've read the leaflet for this version, and that is a little vague about alcohol.
So I wondered if anyone else here has the same medication and if so, can you have the occasional glass of red wine? only I haven't had any since December last year, and I really, really miss it.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take Metformin and drink red wine (not lots anymore) but I enjoy a glass of red wine - less sugar in red

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,
So happy to hear that, so much so that I dared to have a sip or two of my husband's glass of red wine, lovely!

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Metformin messes with the liver's function and so does alcohol. If you are going to have it then start with a small amount and see if that has an effect and if not try a little more.

For me Met and alcohol didnt go but then met lasted 3 weeks before I had a severe reaction to it (the met not alcohol that is)

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wondering how a severe reaction manifests itself? What did you experience? I'm on LCHF so red wine is one of my pleasures a few times a week, haven't had bad reaction (that I know of), interested to understand so I can educate myself - thank you

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just wondering how a severe reaction manifests itself

Severe for me was acidic blood and my whole vascular system feeling like it was on fire - shortness of breath and feeling like I was going to die; cleared up within 24 hours of stopping the Met.

Note this was nothing to do with alcohol just my bodies rejection of met.

Reactions: 2 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I wa stold if I was to drink any wine etc to stop taking the Metformin the nigth before as can cause reactions :)