Wine for Xmas day

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is no 'right' answer for wine, the wine to have is the wine you enjoy
This site is absolutely fabulous, I was quite stressed bout this and now - not so much lol. I'll have a look at several of my favorites and pick from those and enjoy what I like wine wise.

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Traditionally in my house a bottle of Cava is opened Christmas morning and a nice red wine with lunch.

I was bought a litre of Southern Comfort for my birthday recently, hated it and gave it away, it tasted like neat sugar to me, yuk :(
I have some with a lot of diet cola and a lot of ice any other way and I don't like it, but it's been months since I've had one

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
If you live near a Sainsbury I think they are doing their annual 25% off if you buy six bottles promotion - and it doesn't all have to be the same thing. Mr C came home with four cases (24 bottles) of Prosecco - not ALL for us though - most people he works with seem to like a bottle of fizz as a Christmas present. He's talking about going back for more.... :wideyed:

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Traditionally in my house a bottle of Cava is opened Christmas morning and a nice red wine with lunch.

I was bought a litre of Southern Comfort for my birthday recently, hated it and gave it away, it tasted like neat sugar to me, yuk :(
If you live near a Sainsbury I think they are doing their annual 25% off if you buy six bottles promotion - and it doesn't all have to be the same thing. Mr C came home with four cases (24 bottles) of Prosecco - not ALL for us though - most people he works with seem to like a bottle of fizz as a Christmas present. He's talking about going back for more.... :wideyed:
LOL!!! We don't have one near us, but there's one bout 45 mins drive away

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Really? I just assumed as my southern was sweet it would be a definite no no, that's good news! I usually have it with tons of diet cola and ice and lasts me a while

It has sugar added after distilling, and while it's a very sweet spirit, it's only about 4g of carbs per 100ml, so imagine adding just under 8 teaspoons of sugar in each bottle, compared to a dry spirit.

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Carbs and cals app/book has quite a comprehensive list of carbs in soft and alcoholic drinks. I'll be having a nice Pinot noir yum!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Right.... my Christmas day cunning plan is Prosecco with philadelphia and smoked salmon for Christmas brekkie, red wine with the Christmas Dinner then Prosecco for the rest of the day with the dark chocolate home made truffles and low carb baked cheesecake. Possibly, just possibly, with the odd gin & tonic every now and then. Seems like a good plan to me.

Oh - and I'm having a go at making a low carb mulled wine for Chrimbo Eve..... along with the mega shell food supper I've got planned.

I love Christmas, especially the food and booze - and there is absolutely no reason why us Low-Carbers can't have a great time. ;)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

I think that offer ended last week :(

We do always take advantage of their '25% off ' offers whenever theyre available though.

Ive cut my drinking back a bit recently I just drink a couple of glasses of red wine on a couple of evenings a week now, but however much you drink its great to get cheap booze :)

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It has sugar added after distilling, and while it's a very sweet spirit, it's only about 4g of carbs per 100ml, so imagine adding just under 8 teaspoons of sugar in each bottle, compared to a dry spirit.
Aaaah, I guess one or two small ones wouldn't be too bad then, great!

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think that offer ended last week :(

We do always take advantage of their '25% off ' offers whenever theyre available though.

Ive cut my drinking back a bit recently I just drink a couple of glasses of red wine on a couple of evenings a week now, but however much you drink its great to get cheap booze :)
We have a costco card courtesy of son-in-law and I would buy a case or two of something nice but then middle daughter would swipe a bottle every time she was over so now if I get anything hubs has to hide it out in his 'man cave' so she doesn't get her hands on it! I was quite surprised at the amount of wine they had and several times they had a favorite on special which I'd grab but then could last for months as it's only now and then I get a wee notion for a glass.

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Right.... my Christmas day cunning plan is Prosecco with philadelphia and smoked salmon for Christmas brekkie, red wine with the Christmas Dinner then Prosecco for the rest of the day with the dark chocolate home made truffles and low carb baked cheesecake. Possibly, just possibly, with the odd gin & tonic every now and then. Seems like a good plan to me.

Oh - and I'm having a go at making a low carb mulled wine for Chrimbo Eve..... along with the mega shell food supper I've got planned.

I love Christmas, especially the food and booze - and there is absolutely no reason why us Low-Carbers can't have a great time. ;)
Sounds wonderful! I've passed on some recipes for cakes and stuff to older daughter who bakes - afraid me and baking don't quite go hand in hand lol!

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Carbs and cals app/book has quite a comprehensive list of carbs in soft and alcoholic drinks. I'll be having a nice Pinot noir yum!
Enjoy! I'm going to get a wee selection and try them, the good thing is that the daughter who always steals my wine will be having dinner with us (and staying over) so if I don't like any I'm sure she'll drink them!

N

NicolaB70

My husband and I normally share a bottle of Gallo White Grenache on a Sunday with dinner. My bloods are fine after

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
We have a costco card courtesy of son-in-law and I would buy a case or two of something nice but then middle daughter would swipe a bottle every time she was over so now if I get anything hubs has to hide it out in his 'man cave' so she doesn't get her hands on it! I was quite surprised at the amount of wine they had and several times they had a favorite on special which I'd grab but then could last for months as it's only now and then I get a wee notion for a glass.

Yes my MIL shops at Costco and often gets some great bargains, unfortunately we dont have one close to us although we used to go to a local Macro but in the end by the time you added the vat onto your bill they just got too expensive and werent any cheaper than Tescos and Sainsburys etc.

Sainsburys often run their 25% off wines and thats when we tend to buy a few bottles, when you take 25% off an already discounted wine you get great savings ;)

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Guess I am lucky in that I am only 20 minutes away from Eurotunnel, so its easy and cheap to go over on a regular basis. I but everyday wines from Majestic (In France) and for something a bit more 'special' www.boursot.co.uk

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sainsburys often run their 25% off wines and thats when we tend to buy a few bottles, when you take 25% off an already discounted wine you get great savings ;)

Agreed.

When the 25% offer was on at the end of November/beginning of December our Merlot wine was already down in price from £6.50 to £5.50, so took the opportunity to stock-up for the Christmas period :)

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Being a c
Yes my MIL shops at Costco and often gets some great bargains, unfortunately we dont have one close to us although we used to go to a local Macro but in the end by the time you added the vat onto your bill they just got too expensive and werent any cheaper than Tescos and Sainsburys etc.

Being a canny Scot I only buy if a bargain he he

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Guess I am lucky in that I am only 20 minutes away from Eurotunnel, so its easy and cheap to go over on a regular basis. I but everyday wines from Majestic (In France) and for something a bit more 'special' www.boursot.co.uk
Lucky you! Hubs used to go to the continent quite often with work and he'd always bring lovely goodies back with him.