Wine for Xmas day

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't drink very much, maybe once a month if that and then it's just a couple of glasses of wine or the occasional southern comfort, but I do like wine with xmas dinner. However, I suspect my usual Zinfandel won't be suitable? And my other go to drink, Southern Comfort will need to go too, that's a given as it's a very sweet drink. What would you recommend for a wine to go with dinner? I'm afraid I'm not a Chardonnay gal are there any others that wouldn't be too bad?

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Wine is fine, provided it is not too sweet. If you're drinking white Zinfandel, you could have it in spritzer form, topping up with soda water. My taste in wines is either very dry white wine or fruity reds. Rose seems to be OK blood sugar wise too.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends what you are eating if it is Turkey then either a full on white or medium to full bodied red.
A top quality Zinfandel will fit the bill, but no so the cheaper ones.
Alternates are Chardonnay, Cabernet Franc.
Also depends on what the 'trimmings' are
If you have bacon on the plate then you have a higher qty of salt, so a wine low in tanning as salt and tannin clash. In that case leave the chateau neuf du pape on the shelf and fo for a younger fruity wine like a ventoux

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgot to say, Southern comfort should be ok, unless you are planning to get from the top to the bottom of the bottle in a day! Even then you will have more important worries that your BS :D

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cider larger real ale Guinness were all my favourites and wines and spirits in the house !! I sound like an alcoholic oops.... But I've not had a pint since the 8/10/16 I only have wines gin and the occasional whiskey I do miss a pint but I feel so much better not having one and I feel so sophisticated drinking wine lol

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it's a White Zinfandel I would give it a miss, maybe substitute a nice New Zealand (Marlborough) Sauvignon Blanc or an Italian "Cortese" di Gavi.

A Red Zinfandel would be fine for you.

Southern Comfort tastes slightly sweet but doesn't contain excessive sugar so shouldn't negatively affect you.

Reactions: Tabbyjoolz

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Highly recommend a nice Merlot wine for Christmas dinner , it's called Barefoot and retails at around £7 a bottle, Tesco's & Sainsbury's often have it on offer at around £5.50p :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'm generally a Prosecco girl but I do have the occasional gin & tonic or red wine but never at the same time.

Prosecco seems to go with just about everything and it doesn't affect my BS at all.

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wine is fine, provided it is not too sweet. If you're drinking white Zinfandel, you could have it in spritzer form, topping up with soda water. My taste in wines is either very dry white wine or fruity reds. Rose seems to be OK blood sugar wise too.
white zinfandel is my preferred one, so that should be ok? I might give it a test run lol and have one glass tonight and then test bloods to see

Reactions: ScottishNightOwl

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm generally a Prosecco girl but I do have the occasional gin & tonic or red wine but never at the same time.

Prosecco seems to go with just about everything and it doesn't affect my BS at all.
I'll grab some of that! thanks

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Highly recommend a nice Merlot wine for Christmas dinner , it's called Barefoot and retails at around £7 a bottle, Tesco's & Sainsbury's often have it on offer at around £5.50p :)
Not keen on red, prefer rose, white zinfandel preferably, and I might grab some prosecco

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it's a White Zinfandel I would give it a miss, maybe substitute a nice New Zealand (Marlborough) Sauvignon Blanc or an Italian "Cortese" di Gavi.

A Red Zinfandel would be fine for you.

Southern Comfort tastes slightly sweet but doesn't contain excessive sugar so shouldn't negatively affect you.
Really? I just assumed as my southern was sweet it would be a definite no no, that's good news! I usually have it with tons of diet cola and ice and lasts me a while

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cider larger real ale Guinness were all my favourites and wines and spirits in the house !! I sound like an alcoholic oops.... But I've not had a pint since the 8/10/16 I only have wines gin and the occasional whiskey I do miss a pint but I feel so much better not having one and I feel so sophisticated drinking wine lol
Lol! My hubs is a Guinness man, but he does prefer drinking it in Dublin! He does join us with wine on xmas day though

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Forgot to say, Southern comfort should be ok, unless you are planning to get from the top to the bottom of the bottle in a day! Even then you will have more important worries that your BS :D
Maybe in my younger days, I do seem to recall a boxing day where I couldn't quite surface! Not so much nowadays lol. But I'm a happy lassie knowing I can still have one and not worry

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Traditionally in my house a bottle of Cava is opened Christmas morning and a nice red wine with lunch.

I was bought a litre of Southern Comfort for my birthday recently, hated it and gave it away, it tasted like neat sugar to me, yuk :(

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Depends what you are eating if it is Turkey then either a full on white or medium to full bodied red.
A top quality Zinfandel will fit the bill, but no so the cheaper ones.
Alternates are Chardonnay, Cabernet Franc.
Also depends on what the 'trimmings' are
If you have bacon on the plate then you have a higher qty of salt, so a wine low in tanning as salt and tannin clash. In that case leave the chateau neuf du pape on the shelf and fo for a younger fruity wine like a ventoux
I'll actually be having chicken, with skin on, and roast beef, with veggies like brussels cabbage etc, everyone else will have the usual tatties, in all shapes and forms! I'll have a good look around and see what I can spy!