Winging it

kevkevkev

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I'm a 43yr old type 2 I take 4x500mg metformin a day, I recentley had my yearly review and it wasn't good. My nurse wanted to put me on additional medication. She agreed to give me 3 months to sort my results out. So I have decided to try LCHF but am not really sure if its safe to just "wing it". I know all about carbs and what to avoid, my concern is is it dangerous to just cut carbs (still eating veg and berries and other lc foods greek yoghurt ect.) and not replace with correct amount of proteins etc, or is it ok to just eat meat veg berries double cream greek yogurts etc???????

Any help would be appreciated

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Diet doctor is a good place to start and flaunt, Google them. Loads of great advice on this forum too.

Reactions: dbr10

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To cut out carbs is the best thing you can do for your body. You do not actually need them - they start off by making you fat, they alter how you taste things so that nothing tastes sweet unless it is really sugary, they make your insulin levels rise and then your blood glucose either plummets or stays high - depending on how bad things have become for you.
Cast out the carbs, eat meat and fish and don't forget the bacon. There is a special sub food group which has protein and fat - things like chicken thighs with the skin on, roast pork with crackling, and bacon, boiled in water for a minute to remove the salt etc and then fried to crispiness. You should add in salads with oil and vinegar dressing, or mayonnaise, roast vegetables done with the roasting meat so as not to lose any of the fatty deliciousness which might otherwise be wasted. Don't forget that eggs and cheese can be involved... Sorry - what were you worried about?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What exactly do you mean by just winging it? If you eat a sensible healthy and varied low carb diet, that's really all that's necessary. Just cut out high carb and highly processed foods, learn what is suitably low carb, check nutritional values for new food, avoid low fat stuff and instead add a little more fat and oils to your diet.

The only thing you probably should know about protein is that you need to eat enough to maintain and repair your body, but eating too much can sometimes raise glucose levels in the absence of carbs, so be aware of roughly how much you need.

Once you understand what you should/should not be eating on LCHF, your meter should tell you most of what you need to know - there's no need (unless you prefer) to use aids such as MyFitnessPal, spreadsheets, apps, etc, to keep detailed logs. I use my meter to monitor things, but I certainly don't normally count and calculate everything.

Robbity

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The idea with lchf is not to replace carbs with protein but rather with healthy fats such as avocado, olive oil, nuts, seeds, mayo etc.

We only need a certain amount of protein and more isn't always better.