Withdrawal of BD Micro-Fine pen needles

IWBDF!

Busylizzie said:
IWBDF!

I had a email from accu-chek offering me a complimentary upgrade at the beginning of August. I got the Bayer USB meter from filling in a form that came with the BD needles. Previous to that I was using an Accu-chek meter. I think I have only ever bought one meter and that one was at a greatly reduced price from a local chemist

Thank you Busylizzie and Dodo :D

fractureman

I've had no problems getting bd 4mm needles on prescription at all. I use a Bayer USB next meter too. I've never paid for a meter.
Will have to move over to a Roche when I get my pump though

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

juanita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cafes with NO healthy options - just cakes cakes cakes
I noticed that my latest repeat prescription has been changed from BD needles to Omnican - I have been with BD microfine for years and years and years. On checking on various NHS sites on web it seems that BD costs the NHS around £12.95 whereas Omnican cost £5.95 for 100 needles.

however, this will not save the NHS money for me - cos because the BD needles had a sheath I have been able to re-use the needles 2 or 3 times before replacing - I have been doing this since we had to pay for our own needles in the '80s, and have never had a problem. Now the Omnican needles do not have a sheath so it would be dangerous to re-use them - so now instead of 1 needle for my day time doses I will need 3 - where does that stand on the cost cutting?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I noticed that my latest repeat prescription has been changed from BD needles to Omnican - I have been with BD microfine for years and years and years. On checking on various NHS sites on web it seems that BD costs the NHS around £12.95 whereas Omnican cost £5.95 for 100 needles.

however, this will not save the NHS money for me - cos because the BD needles had a sheath I have been able to re-use the needles 2 or 3 times before replacing - I have been doing this since we had to pay for our own needles in the '80s, and have never had a problem. Now the Omnican needles do not have a sheath so it would be dangerous to re-use them - so now instead of 1 needle for my day time doses I will need 3 - where does that stand on the cost cutting?
You can ask to change back and even make that argument to your GP. But officially the BD needles are single use so officially the GP might not agree. :-/

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
however, this will not save the NHS money for me
You are wrong - long term complications are say more costly than a few pen needles, and voluntarily committing suicide saves the NHS a ton of money.

Also, have you considered the possibility that they changed the prescription to something you can't reuse? Maybe they've gotten wind of you blatantly or following instructions and changed you to needles you can't reuse to deal with your noncompliance?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You are wrong - long term complications are say more costly than a few pen needles, and voluntarily committing suicide saves the NHS a ton of money.

Also, have you considered the possibility that they changed the prescription to something you can't reuse? Maybe they've gotten wind of you blatantly or following instructions and changed you to needles you can't reuse to deal with your noncompliance?
Hi Alex

Do you have any evidence that there are any consequences of this scale of needle reuse that exceed the savings? Probably you should have some evidence first before flatly saying someone is wrong and putting them in fear of complications.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Alex, the poster is a lovely lady who's been successfully managing diabetes for longer than you have been having hot dinners. A little courtesy and respect would not go amiss. :)

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
So long as the replacement works as efficiently (at least) as the BD does it really matter ? If they are not robust enough or do not perform take this back to the GP and practice manager.

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.