1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Wondering if I've cracked it.....

Discussion in 'Low Calorie Diets' started by yiannis_, Feb 15, 2017.

1. yiannis_

yiannis_ · Active Member

I started an exercise and clean eating program back in August at 144.9kg , I'm only 5ft 9! Hba1c was 89 in June.
    In October I saw something on the BBC about the Newcastle diet and started it on November 1st at 127.7kg with hba1c of 59 at end of October. I stopped metformin.
    At the end of December the hba1c was 39 and weight 114kg. I had a piece of Christmas cake though and glucose went to 9.8 a couple of hours later.
    Now at 105kg I had a bit of a sugar fest yesterday, taking in over 250gm of sugar over the evening. I didn't test glucose until 0600 today and was shocked that it was only 5.9 , now wondering if I may have reversed diabetes?
    I still need to lose another 10-15kg so will be continuing with the diet anyway.

2. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I think that we will always have the tendency to be diabetic, but by reducing the amount of reserves stored in our organs or cells - wherever - then it allows insulin to do its job and keep BG levels lower - so the very occasional input of sugar - even 250gm in an evening doesn't have as much impact.
    However - I suspect it is rather like bailing out a boat - full blown diabetics are bailing out with a spoon and make hardly any progress against the incoming flow - restricted diets replace the spoon with a cup or even a pint mug, but to be able to really cope a big bucket is required. I don't think many of us get the big bucket.

3. yiannis_

yiannis_ · Active Member

Professor Taylor at Newcastle thinks we all have a personal fat threshold and I'm wondering if I've just dipped below mine. I'm going to drop another few kg over the next few weeks and then do a glucose tolerance test.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook