Wont eat that again

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Last night I ate quite late around 10 pm. I had Lamb Shank in mint sauce with cauliflower and greens. This was bought from the supermarket already with the mint sauce, gravy in. This morning my BG was 6.1 two hours after waking (Had not eaten) Tested again straight after and it then showed 6.6..This drives me nuts because we cannot tell which is the true number. Anyway, I looked at the package on the |Lamb Shank box..21 grams of sugar and 22 of carbs. I really did not think to check as was thinking it is just meat and will be fine. Well, next time If I want a lamb shank I will buy it in its natural form and do my own mint sauce, with a little lambs stock cube. Really annoyed at myself to have not checked.

delmcp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@derry60 there can be a 15% inaccuracy in meters so your two readings of 6.1 and 6.6 are pretty much the same.

Reactions: dbr10

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@derry60 there can be a 15% inaccuracy in meters so your two readings of 6.1 and 6.6 are pretty much the same.
Yes not too bad with the 15% inaccuracy part but bet you any money if I had taken it a third time, the reading straight off would either be considerably lower or higher. I usually go by the first test, as otherwise, it comes out all different numbers and it can be confusing...Usually though on the first test of a morning fasting, I am around 5.3 to 5.5 so was quite surprised at the 6.1 and 6 readings..Bloody minted Lamb Shank lol

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Over the years I have been amazed at the ability of food processors to sell us carbs for the price of proteins - and I used to work for Allied Lyons the food people.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mint sauce can be bad for me, and gravy even worse!

Good lesson learnt though - always read the labels!

Reactions: dbr10

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mint sauce can be bad for me, and gravy even worse!

Good lesson learnt though - always read the labels!
If I put a little mint sauce in a small egg cup with some vinegar I am ok. Strange but a Little drop of gravy does not really affect me, but I usually just use a little of Bovril oxo stock or just butter on veg with no stock.I sometimes thicken the beef stock with tomato puree and put herbs in. I don't have too much gravy though in case it may come back sometime and bite me in the bum lol

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last night I ate quite late around 10 pm. I had Lamb Shank in mint sauce with cauliflower and greens. This was bought from the supermarket already with the mint sauce, gravy in. This morning my BG was 6.1 two hours after waking (Had not eaten) Tested again straight after and it then showed 6.6..This drives me nuts because we cannot tell which is the true number. Anyway, I looked at the package on the |Lamb Shank box..21 grams of sugar and 22 of carbs. I really did not think to check as was thinking it is just meat and will be fine. Well, next time If I want a lamb shank I will buy it in its natural form and do my own mint sauce, with a little lambs stock cube. Really annoyed at myself to have not checked.
You wouldn't really of thought they would of messed with it. We all get caught out sometimes.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Over the years I have been amazed at the ability of food processors to sell us carbs for the price of proteins - and I used to work for Allied Lyons the food people.
The what people

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have a friend who believes he is low carb, really low carb, but loves to eat pre-marinaded meat. He was blown away when I showed him the ingredient list of the meat he was buying and eating - full of added sugar - and yes - so bizarre I don't know what to say. Sugar on meat? This is how we know we are in a truly disordered-about-sugar world.

Cheap way to disguise less than quality meat, I believe.