Work And Diabetes Type 1

cyrryan

Hi
I am inquiring about the most suitable types of occupation for Diabetics type 1. I am been told that I am over qualified and not enough experiences. I would like to maybe stay at office work or healthcare. It is difficult to gauge the situation. I was thinking of moving to the UK for work.
Any advise or recommendations would be grateful.

Johnny

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi
I am inquiring about the most suitable types of occupation for Diabetics type 1. I am been told that I am over qualified and not enough experiences. I would like to maybe stay at office work or healthcare. It is difficult to gauge the situation. I was thinking of moving to the UK for work.

Johnny

I'm not sure how relevant your diabetes is here? Though there are a few jobs that are unsuitable (eg astronaut or military) or difficult (air line pilot or HGV driver) we have T1 members doing many many different jobs. If you were in the US then I'd agree with healthcare because it would presumably give you the medical coverage that you need but if you are in a country with public healthcare such as the UK then it's more about choosing a job that you would find rewarding.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Johnny

Hi,

There is absolutely nothing to stop you going for whatever job you wish..
I’ve had a fair few in my time & been invited back for more..

personally, when submitting a CV. Focus on the transferable skill set for the position & not the education..?

Hopefully, there will be a variety of ideas & experience forthcoming from other members..

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In the UK, there is no office or healthcare job which you cannot legal do with diabetes.
Why do you expect any restrictions?

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The green keeper at the lawn bowls club where I played occasionally is a T1, he managed his condition ok working on three greens and surrounds

He handled all of the manual grass mowers, grass spiking machine, irrigation pumps,and pipes., the only mechanical thing to sit on was the rolling machine.

Two years training course to complete to become one.

IMG_6137-0d36e515-1920w.JPG