Work and rights

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

This is something that has been going on for a few months but only a few days ago my manager pulled me aside and told me "if you dont pace it up you will get the sack"

I work in retail, i stack shelves and i do reductions on products, but for about 5 months or so i have been spending 1 hour on a cage, the cold chain rule is 20 minute, i really don't want to lose my job but i can't really pace any faster if i get the sack for being slow what are my rights?

My manager has told me i will get the sack if i don't show any improvements i dont really know its really made me depressed because i am trying my best but im really struggling with energy and my blood sugar is usually around 8-9 so i probably will get the sack.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

This is something that has been going on for a few months but only a few days ago my manager pulled me aside and told me "if you dont pace it up you will get the sack"

I work in retail, i stack shelves and i do reductions on products, but for about 5 months or so i have been spending 1 hour on a cage, the cold chain rule is 20 minute, i really don't want to lose my job but i can't really pace any faster if i get the sack for being slow what are my rights?

My manager has told me i will get the sack if i don't show any improvements i dont really know its really made me depressed because i am trying my best but im really struggling with energy and my blood sugar is usually around 8-9 so i probably will get the sack.

UsmanMo - Living with diabetes doesn't exclude you from job requirements. If you are having issues with your diabetes, it could be possible to ask your employer for some adjustments to be made to help you out.

If, however, your performance is on a third of what's needed, it could get tricky.

You could consider calling the Diabetes UK helpline. They have a good reputation for understanding some of the issues people living with diabetes experience in the workplace: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/how_we_help/helpline

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
UsmanMo - Living with diabetes doesn't exclude you from job requirements. If you are having issues with your diabetes, it could be possible to ask your employer for some adjustments to be made to help you out.

If, however, your performance is on a third of what's needed, it could get tricky.

You could consider calling the Diabetes UK helpline. They have a good reputation for understanding some of the issues people living with diabetes experience in the workplace: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/how_we_help/helpline

I have asked to be moved onto tills, but unfortunately there's no more hours left on any other departments; therefore i will have to stay on my department and i dont really know if its due to diabetes because my sugars are 8-9 during my shift.

I shall definitely call the diabetes helpline

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Do you have a union? They'd probably be best for advising on your rights....?