Work discrimination

jamie_lee88

i'm 19 and was diagnosed with type1 when i was 7rs old i've tried looking or work one week i sent out 20 cv's out to ppl lookin for emloyees and because i wrote i was diabetic i never heard nothing back, my friend done the exact same cv as mine except missed off the diabetes part as she isnt diabetic an she got an interview straight away, i've never worked since i've left school and now i'm just gettin lazy and staying in bed til 12 and i'm sick of it, because i'm diabetic i cant get a job nd now its just making me realli lazy,all i want to do is get a good job earn a healthy living but no its not gonna happen

KimSuzanne

Don't put on your cv that your diabetic you don't have to declare it unless they ask you - if they say no after that ask them why if they can't come up with a justified excuse thats discrimination

Sweet3x

jamie_lee88 said:
i'm 19 and was diagnosed with type1 when i was 7rs old i've tried looking or work one week i sent out 20 cv's out to ppl lookin for emloyees and because i wrote i was diabetic i never heard nothing back, my friend done the exact same cv as mine except missed off the diabetes part as she isnt diabetic an she got an interview straight away, i've never worked since i've left school and now i'm just gettin lazy and staying in bed til 12 and i'm sick of it, because i'm diabetic i cant get a job nd now its just making me realli lazy,all i want to do is get a good job earn a healthy living but no its not gonna happen

Many of you will think this is cruel, but well, had you considered that your grammar is letting you down? Obviously, I'm assuming you didn't use words like 'reali' and 'gonna' in your CV, but using the odd full stop is always useful. Try using something like Monster.com for tips on how to write a good CV, and cover letter. Often, the letter is as, if not more, important than the CV itself.

lionrampant

They can't reject you because of your diabetes. It's literally illegal, and I've never known anyone who had the balls to risk being taken to court over it. I'm type 1, and I've worked for Slater Menswear selling suits, an I.T Assistant on an JISC Project and an SIE Intern (both at Glasgow Caledonian University).

I'm not saying this to brag, I'm showing you that just because you're diabetic doesn't mean you're unemployable. If you're getting knocked back, it's probably for other reasons. Describe your C.V to us! I'll help any way I can dude. :mrgreen:

jamie_lee88

Many of you will think this is cruel, but well, had you considered that your grammar is letting you down? Obviously, I'm assuming you didn't use words like 'reali' and 'gonna' in your CV, but using the odd full stop is always useful. Try using something like Monster.com for tips on how to write a good CV, and cover letter. Often, the letter is as, if not more, important than the CV itself.Sweet3x

as u says their i happen 2 be able 2 defend myself no i dnt write my cv like i do write on ere its only coz its quicker on ere nd i dont even write my cv i've got a person who write it for me coz my dad got him to do it so i didnt do any mistakes. my next door neighbour had trouble getting a job aswell nd his girlfriend is 27 and she has neva had a job coz no1's interested as soon as they know ur diabetic. its just makin it harder for me to get a job as i have no experience because no1 will hire me am now thinkin about starting my own business as i've got an income.

sportyclaire

Hi there, It is really out of order that people dont give us diabetics a chance, Im 27yrs old and have type 1 for 17 yrs, iv always wanted to b a fire fighter and a police officer, i can understand with fire brigade because heat does make me have hypos but i recenlty tried for PCSO (police community officer) and they appently didnt recieve my application in time!, I really feel strongly that something needs to be done as how is people ment to live there lives normal when not given a chance in work wise, Im a quite sporty person and i have been brought up not to let diabetes stop me doing my sports but cant help not giving up in work wise. I now work with 2-5yrs olds which can b a hectic job anf luckily my work gave me chance to show them i am normal person to work with.
I hope u all good luck finding jobs u want and may b we all should get together and do a protest !!
see ya all, claire.
I dont offten come on comp so if any one wants to email me personaly u r all wecome [email protected]

lionrampant

Driving and employment issues should be considered within diabetes care. Employment is not usually a problem for people who have diabetes, however there are safety aspects to be considered which may occur with hypoglycaemia.

Until recently, restrictions were in place on people with insulin-treated diabetes in certain areas of employment, including the fire service and police force, jobs based offshore (e.g. on oil rigs or aboard cruise liners), and working at heights.

Since October 2004, it is against the law for any employer (apart from the armed forces) of any size to discriminate against a person with diabetes because of their condition. Everyone should be assessed on their own merits and should not be subjected to blanket bans. Blanket bans have now been lifted in the emergency services for insulin.

Recruitment and retention of people with diabetes in the police, fire and ambulance services should now be subject to individual medical assessment. However there are still restrictions in place by some NHS Ambulance Trusts on people who wish to be ambulance drivers, and for jobs involving driving Large Goods Vehicles or Passenger Carrying Vehicles.

http://www.rcn.org.uk/development/pract ... employment

jamie_lee88

i do life in a high rise flat nd i ave done some unpaid work before, but i've decided to try and open my own shop and see how that goes.

ChocFish

Jamie-Lee, I can imagine its pretty hard for you to find a job and you are feeling ill on top of it all, it can all become a viscious circle and you feel useless and lose hope and stay in bed till midday because there is no point in getting out of bed is there and so you become depressed more and more. Do you have any idea on what sort of jobs you are looking for, what would you like to do, what are your interests?

I wonder if you have ever seen a DEA at the benefits agency? It might be worth giving that a go, and as Sarah Q has suggested, do consider doing some voluntary work, even if its just for a couple of hours a week, it will get you into some routine and give you some responsibility and will look good on your CV too, or do some college course, there are some short summer courses around now, so do check with your local college, you never know it might lead to something more permanent?

A site that I often use is http://www.do-it.org.uk/ - this is for voluntary work and has often been the starting point for my clients in finding employment; many of my clients have found it very difficult to gain employment, for various reasons.

All the best

Karen

MJLees

New to the forums, but thought I'd drop a word of the situation I am in at present, as both example and motivation for some ...
I have been Type 1 for the last 13 years and 'control' has never been what a professional would classify as 'good'. At worst an Hba1C of 13+ ... today I am glad to say it is much better, but over 13 years I have had so many different 'opinions' and 'advice' I have barely found it easy to find a 'balance' of control.
Three years ago I applied to my local Police Service at the role of a PCSO - a role as physically active, involving a LOT more walking than that of a PC. I was accepted - with an Hba1C of 9.6 at the time. However, it wasn't without gritted teeth. I was offered the job and the offer then retracted a WEEK before starting due to the Hba1C. At the time, I was cycling many miles a week, running, playing squash three times a week, etc. They had no grounds to tell me I wasn't 'fit' for the job. I dug my feet in with the FMA (Force Medical Advisor) and demanded he 'prove' I was unfit. I had sailed though the medicals and physical tests the force presents.
I was permitted to start and advised he would want to see me every three months for 'check-ups'.
Two check-ups into the job and no more were required.
Two years into the job, I have had NO days off sick and NO issues at all on of off duty relating to diabetes. I walk more than most on my team and put in more effort and hours than required almost all the time. He has therefore had NO grounds to follow up on my condition.
Currently my Hba1c is at 8.6 and still falling having recently started on a new regime with another hospital.
The current situation, specifically relevant to my job - in February I applied to work as a PC. Occy Health was facing a choice - they either said 'Yes, you've proven you can do it without any issues, you can start' ... or they said 'You're not fit to do it' - but if they did that ... they were effectively saying I wasn't fit to do the job I was in ...
The inevitable occurred ... I was immediately suspended from Driving at work AND cycling (even though I was cycling up to 8 hours a day on duty without issue and had re-introduced the 'bicycle' to the local team and region who were now all starting to use them!
Three months have passed ... I have presented them with letters and blood results from my local GP who is supportive of my situation and disagreeing with their decisions ...
I can therefore empathise with ANYONE who has reached what feels like closed doors and brick walls on the job front. My advice from experience is to fight decisions (even though you shouldn't have to and to prove yourself no 'different' once in the role)
I have never on an application form until recently even considered putting diabetes as a 'disability', but now feel that it is the employers who chose to make this a disability and not the individual.
I urge individuals to keep fighting for the jobs THEY WANT because at no time will large organisations back down and accept that their opinions are wrong until someone PROVES them wrong.
For those interested in the Police Service their is the NPDA (National Police Diabetics Association) who were founded to support such situations and offer advice.
Speaking from experience there is NO reason that a controlled diabetic (ie, anyone similar or better controlled than myself - I still have very clear hypo symptoms and am on Novorapid/Levemir for variable meal times) cannot work in the Police Service.
My next goal ... when I get in as a PC ... will be to target the 'Driving' issue of the Police Service as currently nationwide, with only a few exceptions, no diabetic is allowed to 'Response Drive'.
I hope someone gets something from my jabberings ... it's my first, so I apologise for the length of the message.
:eek:)

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum MJ. We have at least two other members on the board who are members of the police force.Good for you for proving that diabetics can be just as fit,if not fitter than so called normal people.

Hi all! it's good to know that we are not alone!
my name is Ale and I'm 34 years old and I was diagnosed with type 1 when i was 32. I am from Argentina but right now i 'm living in italy ( I am an european citizen because I am italo-argentinian). I moved to Italy because I love to travel, to meet new people, to see different points of view. But my life changed when two years ago I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.
In that moment I was thinking of making a new change I was planning on going to UK but I had to change idea 'cause of my new way of living.
Now I am fine!! I am doing my carb diet, four shots and thats all!!! It 's not so easy and for the moment I don't have any problem. That's the point!!! right now I am OK!! and if I want to see the world this is the moment. Why do I have to wait??? maybe in the future the things would be so differents. The problem is in my blood not in my mind!!!! But I know it will be so difficult, moving to another city without knowing anybody, without a job, without a place where to live is a big adventure plus being a type 1!!!!! Oh my god!!!!! jejejej!!!
I think that Birmingham is the city!!!!!!! First at all I will find a hostel and then a job. I can make any kind of job. I am working in a supermarket here in italy (as a butcher), and I worked in shops, photo shops, I can use computers, I've studied cinema and tv for 4 years (i 've never found a media job but... anyway...) I speak spanish, italian and english. and I am a type 1 I know!!!!!! but I need a change, I want to see Uk, I love your music and want to see a lot of concerts!! Life is now!!!
Next, I will have to see all the stuff related with the NHS. Here in Italy I have the insulin, test... all for free. I don't know there.
I don't know if the insulin is the same there. I am using Novo rapid -flex pen (novo nordisk) and Lantus-solo star (sanofi aventis). If you know sthing just let me know. please!!!!!!
ok, thanks for your time,
and if u know sthing about any job, a place to rent, NHS, or something that could help me just let me know. any advise will be wellcome!!!! bye Ale

hellboy

hi i have had similar problems in the past with looking for some companies take you one but keep an eye on you as if you are a criminal or murderer i had one job were i had to constantly be with the boss or some one in change to me all that was missing was hand cuffs lol. but it there is a light at the end of the tunnel guys i have had a job since june this year and i am loving it most of the time any way but all jobs have good days and bad but no body is watching me and no one is by my side well there was during training but that normal and they all no wat to look out for with my symptoms and if they notice some thing the say some thing if i have not noticed it already i like it no watch full eye no clip board heaven
sorry i babble a lot sorry.

Jimbo1973

Dislikes
Beetroot, Cucumber, Radish, Prawns - and arrogant people that have no understanding of how ill you can really be without looking ill
Well just to add to all this, i've been a car salesman for 15 years - A job ive loved, earned great money from and most of the time ive had great fun with my customers. I was diagnoed on the 18th October which resulted in a 4 day stay in hosp plus another 4 days off, an op in November resulting in 2 days off, then light duties for a week, then a really bad throat infection, leading to a chest infection leading to another 4 days in hosp, plus another 12 days off to recover.I went back on the 2nd Jan to a torrent of abuse from the new General Sales Team Leader who insisted i presnt him with proof of hospital stay and a sicknote - both of which I was happy to. On Monday i was invited to a disciplinary meeting for my failure to provide these documents - bearing in mind I was only asked for them on the friday. Sicknote I had, but the proof from the hospital was going to take a few more days, as it had to be sent to me etc etc etc. The upshot of all this, I resigned from my job on Tuesday after having a further discussion with him on Monday afternoon.

The reason: In the last quarter I failed to achieve my sales target, and was busted back down to salesman from senior salesman. A substantial paycut and was told it would take 3 more months for me to earn my stripes back- I told him not to bother and i'd like to offer my resignation immediately. I actually sat with my Dealer Principal, who asked me to reconsider but I had decided that I coule not work with the Team Leader. I handed in my notice at 8.40 am on Tuesday and was being driven home at 2.10 pm, despite my DP's requests that we can still talk about it.

I'm actually feeling really good at the moment, my stress levels are nil, my bm's are the lowest they have been for ages, I just dont have a car !!!
Maybe a change of direction is needed now I think

Jim

Jimbo1973

Dislikes
Beetroot, Cucumber, Radish, Prawns - and arrogant people that have no understanding of how ill you can really be without looking ill
Already taken on board blackbird- ive actually spoken to an Employment Solicitor this morning and have an appointment to see them on Monday

Jimbo

C

catherinecherub

Their actions made it impossible for Jimbo to work for them. If I was you Jimbo I would go to Citizens Advice a.s.a.p. They have good legal people working for them.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It makes sense that diabetics at risk of hypos can't be safe all the time, so the military have a point. In conflict, you may not be able to get the necessary supplies or the time to plan ahead.
Most other jobs are not like this.