Work don't understand

Kesh92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So why would anyone 'assume' that you eat sweeets???? Are you sure this is not just friendly workplace banter?
Because they assumed I got diabetes from eating to many sweets as a child and have seen me eat them on the rare occasion I'm hypo

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Because they assumed I got diabetes from eating to many sweets as a child and have seen me eat them on the rare occasion I'm hypo

And they actually said to you something like 'you must've eaten too many sweets as a child' ?

Kesh92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And they actually said to you something like 'you must've eaten too many sweets as a child' ?
Yeah to which I've replied it's an auto immune disease that runs in my family. I wasn't eating many sweets when I was 1! Haha

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have this all the time! and everytime i laugh and say OH if only you knew! Then walk off because people cant come back with anything because they dont know anything so try that, you have to remember that its YOUR diabetes and your life not theirs so if they want to sit there and judge on things that they have no clue about then let them, theyll soon work out that you dont listen or infact care about their opinions. As long as your healthy (As can be) and happy then you dont need to worry.

Chin up and keep smiling xo

Reactions: 7 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The easy answer realy is "you must have dropped out of 4/5 years of training as a doctor & now here you are working with me..!" Then walk away..

Reactions: 4 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Stick a info leaflet on their desk. It works everytime.
I then start telling them how long I've had it and how it affects me and nasty side affects of meds and needles and prick testing. They soon get bored. ;-)

Reactions: 2 people

alexhill05

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pre- diagnoses I knew approximately nothing about type 1 diabetes. Wouldn't have surprised me if I asked someone if it was because of their diet.

A minute of your time telling them, in simple terms, it's an autoimmune condition and your body decided to have a fight with your pancreas (and won), hence you can eat what you want because now instead of producing your own insulin, you have to have injections. If they ask about food beyond that bore them with sugar spikes, carb counting and GI. I'm yet to have someone not understand after explaining it - there's no need to be rude or be particularly offended by their initial ignorance!

Reactions: 12 people

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey,

I think we have all experienced something similar. It's just ignorance on other peoples part I think. I was once told by a professional that diabetes is one of the least respected diseases in terms of peoples views on it. They don't understand the blood, sweat and tears that goes into making sure you just wake up in the morning!!!

I have bitten back a few times to people asking me should I eat that? Might be an idea to send an email as suggested above and make people aware of the seriousness. Failing that, be as rude as you like then blame it on a hypo :p

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
People who are ignorant towards diabetes :(
Animal cruelty
People who use their mobile phones whilst driving
Hi. So I've recently started a new job and I've reviewed endless comments from colleagues about my diabetes, the latest 2 being 'you eat bags of sweets for dinner' and 'why are you eating a McDonald's?'. The next person to say something is going to get their head bitten off and I just can't get through to them. I have no issues with people asking questions but getting fed up of their judgement. How can I make them understand? I've been a type 1 for 19 years x

I got like that a while back. Someone at work made an off the cuff remark of "You shouldn't be eating that!". I knew precisely what she meant, but I wasn't even going to mention diabetes because I've had way too many discussions with people about it & am seriously considering getting cue cards with the relevant answer to just hold up whenever necessary! So yeah, in my usual sarcastic manner I retorted with "are you calling me fat!?!"

She didn't know where to look or what to say. Priceless!

On the bright side, my boss's neice is a T1, so he's been great about anything diabetes related. I now know whenever he's talking to me because it's "alright, bloodsugar!" :joyful:

Have you considered one of those electric fly swatters? You know, just incase of ignorant comments - saves your voice & your blood pressure - "I bet you eat sweets all day!" - thwomp!!! :D

Reactions: 4 people

markgatty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. So I've recently started a new job and I've reviewed endless comments from colleagues about my diabetes, the latest 2 being 'you eat bags of sweets for dinner' and 'why are you eating a McDonald's?'. The next person to say something is going to get their head bitten off and I just can't get through to them. I have no issues with people asking questions but getting fed up of their judgement. How can I make them understand? I've been a type 1 for 19 years x
I have to say I have not had this kind of negativity...I am open about being diabetic and my view is if others have a problem with this then they do not deserve me worrying about them....live your life and don't care about the uneducated

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't eat sweets....they just assume. And I think 1 McDonald's is okay to eat....
Oh if they assume, then most assumptions are incorrect. You should throw a few assumptions their way and give them a taste of their own medicine.

McDonalds is alright, your young, enjoy it until you get fed up of it. I've been there done that in almost thirty years of diabetes experience. Do your injections do your blood tests, enjoy your mcdonalds then eventually your life will change and move on to a new phase, whatever that might be.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I personally have never had an issue at the work place......maybe the trick was that not everybody knew and the fact I didn't make a big deal out of it to anyone....

any comments that did come in on the rare occasion I was happy to educate.........there should be no reason why your diabetes is at the centre of everyone's conversation all the time...

Samwar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've had a same problem if u r not well enough to be here then go home and think about if u can do this job really does not help u you need their support not for them to say silly things.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had a same problem if u r not well enough to be here then go home and think about if u can do this job really does not help u you need their support not for them to say silly things.

Jesus, really, that's terrible.....what is it you do?.....

just mention the disability discrimination act and they will be on their knees.....

Samwar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I work in a Pre school and this person is type 2 boss send ignore her she just being a b

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
so a colleague is type 2 and its her that's saying these things......?

roll on the day she is not well through her diabetes........only kidding of course...;)

see if its not your boss/supervisor, they have no right to question/comment on your performance....

Samwar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
She don't look after herself and I'm getting support from boss and the fact I went back to work 2 weeks after being diagnosed which was in November last year

poppy001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thought this was a forum to discuss items about lack of understanding of employers. I am 60 years old and have had Type 1 Diabetes since 1958. Never had a problem attending appointments until I started working for the NHS where I either loose money or make up time to attend appointments. Apparently, if you are pregnant (which I consider to be self-inflicted and a lifestyle choice), you can attend ante-natal appointments in 'work's' time and do not have to repay time or loose money. Is this in any way fair?