Work moan.

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tried to ring in sick for work today.
I’m full of a cold and have had bgs of around 19 since yesterday.

Works reply... “can’t you just have some lucozade and come in? That’s what we’d suggest”

better get my uniform on.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh @claire1991 I don't know whether to express sympathy first of all, or precede it with horror about the Lucozade 'advice'! :banghead:

I'd certainly be suggesting something right back at them....... ;)

Hope you feel very much better soon.

xxx

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh @claire1991 I don't know whether to express sympathy first of all, or precede it with horror about the Lucozade 'advice'! :banghead:

I'd certainly be suggesting something right back at them....... ;)

Hope you feel very much better soon.

xxx

Thank you.
Apparently that’s what the diabetic in the office does, obviously when she’s hypo, not when she’s high!

I don’t work in the office and am out and about in my car for most of my shift so thankfully I don’t have to see them

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just got home, pjs on and a lemsip. Fingers crossed for a better day tomorrow!
Night all x

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also rolled my eyes at them calling her “the diabetic in the office” I’m sure she has a name!!

Nope, sorry. Once you're diagnosed you lose your real name and are reassigned a diabetic name depending on your condition. Feel free to start calling yourself "grandpa who lost a leg to diabetes", "that girl who's always sick", "she's not even fat, how can she be diabetic" or "the guy who must be a drug addict since he's always doing injections".

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Whilst sharing the horrors expressed by others Isn't this another example of the Ignorance that prevails world wide about diabetes cant Actors/writers/producers of TV /films/plays etc start including diabetics in their products/shows not as the mane theme just as one of the things that happens in real life don't make a big thing out of it but use it to inform people about Hypos etc

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m certain people think a bit of sugar will sort us all out! I tried to explain to her about why it was an issue and how lucozade wouldn’t have helped me but could tell that she wasn’t really listening.
My job is the kind where if I came off my shift they would have to get somebody to cover me. They couldn’t leave it uncovered, think healthcare.

I’m going to speak to my manager about it on Tuesday.

I’m feeling a little better today but very chesty. Bg is 17.7 though :(

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m certain people think a bit of sugar will sort us all out! I tried to explain to her about why it was an issue and how lucozade wouldn’t have helped me but could tell that she wasn’t really listening.
My job is the kind where if I came off my shift they would have to get somebody to cover me. They couldn’t leave it uncovered, think healthcare.

Healthcare, that makes it much worse! Firstly they should be more understanding of what type 1 actually is. Also as a patient I don't want a sick person treating me!!

Glad you're feeling better, but 17.7 :( hope it comes down a little.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

A nice cap's worth of cough syrup will sort it, & back in buisness.... (I'm kidding of course! ;))

But seriously, your job description from the clues you give, sounds like "home healthcare"? (Of some sort?) Maybe with the elderly? (Providing a care package.)

If you're ill? It would be in the best interests of your employer to provide cover & for you to stay off & contain the "bug" till well again.. :)

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Healthcare, that makes it much worse! Firstly they should be more understanding of what type 1 actually is. Also as a patient I don't want a sick person treating me!!

Glad you're feeling better, but 17.7 :( hope it comes down a little.

Exactly. I should have finished at 21:45 last night but was home by 21:00 because a lot of people I went to see didn’t want me there and said I should go!

I rang it in every single time it happened and told them the reason why they didn’t want anything.

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A nice cap's worth of cough syrup will sort it, & back in buisness.... (I'm kidding of course! ;))

But seriously, your job description from the clues you give, sounds like "home healthcare"? (Of some sort?) Maybe with the elderly? (Providing a care package.)

If you're ill? It would be in the best interests of your employer to provide cover & for you to stay off & contain the "bug" till well again.. :)

Precisely.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Seriously though the Office need some education ( cold olus lucisade equaks comatose and undit to drive surely! I try to be Mrs Super Diab by never going sick and boadting that my immune system is so fab that it nuked my own insulin cells.