1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Work related questions

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by searley, Feb 22, 2020.

1. searley

searley Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If I need time off for appointments should I be given the time off of can the company insist I use holiday.

My consultant has advised my to attend some T1 education so would the above apply to this as well?

For sick time (not had any yet) the company uses what they call the Bradford factor for scoring illness and possible disciplinary procedures. Can the company apply this to me?

Reasonable changes.. can this apply to uniform? If I work in a hot environment can I Request wearing something more breathable to reduce dehydration?

2. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

I'm not UK so I will leave these answers to people that might know more about it.

I can tell you that you will get along better with your employer not to start demanding things unless you really need to. If they are being completely unaccommodating then it becomes time to start asking for certain rights. Be reasonable, don't overdo it and you will get along a lot better.

Like not wanting to wear a uniform, drinking more water would be the better solution. That's just me though, maybe someone else will say otherwise.

3. searley

searley Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The uniform is non breathable once you start sweating you are wringing wet and uncomfortable all day

4. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

For diabetes appointments your employer must give you reasonable time off, but they'd are not obliged to pay you in that time off. I'm not an HR person, or employment lawyer, but I would expect your T1 education would be covered by the same rule.

The company likely will apply the Bradford Scale to you, although some businesses may be a bit understanding if someone is, say, newly diagnosed.

The uniform thing, I imagine would depend on a number of factors, such as whether the uniform is just all part of the business's branding, or hygiene reasons, sat, a food environment, or protective, if dealing with hazards in any way, and I guess what your preferred adjustment would be. I doubt there is a definitive answer to that one, based on what you have told us.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook