Work woes

Roberta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I can relate to this, I work at a care home and they have docked my wages too for having breaks which I personally think is unfair. It's a condition we can't help have but to then be punished by having our wages docked is disgusting when all we re doing is trying to look after ourselves. Feels like there's no winning at times. I think it may depends on what kind of job is involved

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hello I can relate to this, I work at a care home and they have docked my wages too for having breaks which I personally think is unfair. It's a condition we can't help have but to then be punished by having our wages docked is disgusting when all we re doing is trying to look after ourselves. Feels like there's no winning at times. I think it may depends on what kind of job is involved
Do they dock other workers pay for cigarette breaks? How long have you worked there? Are you T1 or T2?

Roberta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeh they dock other people's wages if they go out for a cigarette etc. But we work 11 hour shifts so by law anyway you should get a break but we still get our wages docked. But I have to have regular breaks sometimes even more than usual if my blood sugar is low. It does get annoying at times because I feel like I'm missing out on money because of my diabetes

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Yeh they dock other people's wages if they go out for a cigarette etc. But we work 11 hour shifts so by law anyway you should get a break but we still get our wages docked. But I have to have regular breaks sometimes even more than usual if my blood sugar is low. It does get annoying at times because I feel like I'm missing out on money because of my diabetes
I am wondering if this is legal? Anyone here from personnel?

cairnlady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Depends on what sort of contract you are on and what it says in contract! if the contract that you agreed to when you took job states that you are not paid for breaks as part time then you need to query that with Citizens Advice [I assume it is a private care home not local authority? if local authority join Unison and get advice!] and again if you do not have a contract of employment [which you should have by law] then see Citizens Advice soon!