Work woes

Corbdon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Preachy people, and being told what I can and can't eat
My daughter-in-law is type 1 diabetic she has been told by her manager that she will be docked 15min every time she either checks her blood sugar levels or administers her insulin. I would like to know if this is legal as she has been very stressed which is affecting her blood readings.
Thanks

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My daughter-in-law is type 1 diabetic she has been told by her manager that she will be docked 15min every time she either checks her blood sugar levels or administers her insulin. I would like to know if this is legal as she has been very stressed which is affecting her blood readings.
Thanks
Probably needs to talk to HR. They need to be aware of her medical needs and those needs should be accommodated. Can she get support from a trades union?

Reactions: 4 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
***!!!!!

Is she in the UK? If so, that's ILLEGAL - the Equality Act 2010 requires employers to make 'reasonable adjustments' for people with disabilities : T1's are classed as disabled under terms of the act (in Northern Ireland it's the DDA 1997).

She needs to explain to her boss (politely and in an email) that if he/she docks even a nano-second from her pay for any diabetes related aspects that he/she will be breaking the aforesaid law. She then needs to forward her email to HR and request a meeting with them and a senior manager in order that they establish the ground rules for how the complany accomodates her disability (and get that idiot removed) - she should add that she's doing this to protect everyone from further misunderstandings and unfortunate errors of judgement. She should use the meeting to explain her condition and why she blood tests, etc.

She needs to point out that sticking needles in her finger tips, thighs, arms, stomach, etc., is not something she chooses to do, but does in order to be able to stay alive. Consequently, she needs to test her BG levels to know how much insulin she needs to take, etc.

Reactions: 21 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Her manager is a fool...

I recently did a a job as a "stuard" at a rugby ground... There was concern from the management about my bag of D stuff. Strict protocol/rules... They backed off when i mentioned Diabetic (test kit, Lucozade In an "emergency". that kind of thing.t) They were actually cool....
I don't know any company with an issue. As long as they an't picking you up off the floor all the time.

Get your "Daughter in law" to sign up here . First hand advice and all that....

Reactions: 8 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks

That's not right, she should take this matter up with her Union or an organisation such as the Citizens Advice or a local Solicitor, diabetes comes under the DDA (Disability Discrimination Act) and this is a case for bringing the DDA into force, disgraceful behaviour by the manager and they should hang their head in shame.

Reactions: 4 people

Corbdon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Preachy people, and being told what I can and can't eat
Thanks all for your response and support it is such a relief for her and she now feels more confident to approach her HR department.

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thanks all for your response and support it is such a relief for her and she now feels more confident to approach her HR department.

Hi and welcome, absolutely appalling treatment of your DIL,:eek: I sincerely hope it gets sorted out smoothly and quickly.Terrific helpful and supportive posts from members :)

All the best RRB :)

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

That's great news @Corbdon .

Do wish her well - and perhaps suggest that her company get someone in to give a talk about living with diabetes, treating hypos, etc. (She may want to do it herself, otherwise there may be forum members who are local and can do the honours.)

Reactions: 2 people

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can only agree.
In UK this behaviour is not legal.
Glad she has the confidence to speak t someone now - if the response is not one which gives her equality with her colleagues she really should ask her union for advice, if not intervention.

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just an idea but couldn't someone from Diabetes.co.uk that has some knowledge about this subject, type up a standard letter highlighting the law as it stands regarding this matter and then post it on here as a PDF download. That way then, if this problem ever raised it's ugly head again members could simply download the letter, print it off and hand it in to the management at their works. Now I don't know how difficult it would be to draft up a letter of this sort, but I can't see it being too hard.

G

graj0

Thanks
I suppose they also deduct for everyone's toilet breaks and cigarette breaks and personal phone calls. Don't laugh, some firms do. The manager in question is just a bully trying to flex his/her muscle. I'm no expert on injecting insulin but an old friend of mine, type I for 30 years, actually injects while at the dinner/lunch table and most people don't even know. As for BG testing, must take me all of 1 minute, I wonder where the manager gets 15 minutes from, sounds like a jerk, either way.
Hopefully going to HR doesn't unveil yet another idiotic trait that this particular manager might have. Is there a special management training course that these people go on, or are they all born that way?

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Depending on what the company is like it may also be worth taking in someone else (not in your reporting chain) to act as a witness so you don't ever have a situation where they deny agreements or such shenanigans.

Reactions: 2 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Depending on what the company is like it may also be worth taking in someone else (not in your reporting chain) to act as a witness so you don't ever have a situation where they deny agreements or such shenanigans.

Good point @AndyS

Plus,you should take notes of the meeting and then email them to the attendees asking for their confirmafion of discussions, events and plan - that way you will have an accepted and agreed record should stupidty rear its frustrating head once again.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Considering that I can be either riding a bike or running, stop to get the test kit out of a pocket or camelbak, test and start again all in less than 2 minutes (that's when my Garmin alarms) this is absolutely appaling.

I would also consider getting an H&S rep involved as they can hopefully explain the reason for the test and the basis of risk management. If the company then starts trying to dock time for an action that is critical to safety, then they are getting themselves in all sorts of hot water there in addition to employment law.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure how big the company she works for is but there may be an occupational health nurse/department who should be informed so they can get involved

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My boss moaned like hell at me as she was certain I was using my phone, I then moved over so she could squeeze her horrible self past me and she looked me up and down and said "oh I didn't realise you were doing that" as in testing my bloods! Now and again I like to get my injection out so she doesn't talk to me! Perks I suppose of carrying it all around :)

Reactions: 5 people

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is situation that needs to be handled because not only is it illegal, but its promoting her to neglect her health. I can see that behavior like this would prevent or delay someone from checking their sugars, which could lead to her going unconscious at work which would lead to (likely) a larger dispute, and lots of paper work, which would confirm that she told not to check he BS at work, so she didn't so she went unconscious due to poor management lol

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
T@ssers! I got told to test in a cupboard. In case it offends the delicate cherubs sensitivity. Am secondary school teacher. Err...no. Test at desk if feel funny. Let's face it, more hassle if I go hypo than if I doa quick test and eat something. Happened once but at 3pm when I suddenly realised I hadn't eaten since brekkie as taught all day, break duty and lunchtime club.