Working night shifts with type 1 - ADVICE PLEASE!

Okulu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello!
So...I'm going to be doing my first ever night shifts (4 in a row), starting next weekend. I'm not really sure how much exercise I'll be doing but will be in a hospital, so may be quite a lot of walking and being on my feet.

I am completely clueless as to how to manage my diabetes during this period, and would be super grateful for any advice as to basal rates and eating...? I'm on a pump, and current basal rates are:

00:00-04:00 - 0.85 u/h
04:00-08:00 - 0.95
08:00-20:00 - 0.9
20:00-00:00 - 0.5

Also, how do you guys get into the sleep routine for the first night?

And then how to find reverting back to normal again (with insulin, eating and sleep) after you've done nights?

I really would be so grateful for any advice you can give.

Thanks so so much in advance!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can’t advise regarding your Diabetes, but I worked night shifts for many years prior to my diabetes diagnosis. On the day before the first night, I got up early and rushed around getting organised for the week. My night shifts were Mon, Tues and Wed.
I then tried to take a nap in the afternoon, not always successfully. By the next morning after work I was sufficiently tired to fall asleep quite easily and sleep for around six hours. Switching back the other end I went to bed as soon as I got in from my last shift but set an alarm for four hours, not easy to get up then but took the rest of the day awake but not doing much, so I could sleep that night.

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I worked permanent nightshift Sun-thurs for 9 years and I wish I never had done it. Came off nights as I was always tired, but that was the norm. Few .months later I waa diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and I have been told not to go back on nights ever again. The good thing is that my employer knows this and I wont be allowed back on the graveyard shift.

Personally if you can get away from doing nights I would. I know it's not linked with type 1d, but In the back of my mind I think nightshift contributed to the way I am now.

Sorry not much help, but I enjoyed that bit moan.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hello!
So...I'm going to be doing my first ever night shifts (4 in a row), starting next weekend. I'm not really sure how much exercise I'll be doing but will be in a hospital, so may be quite a lot of walking and being on my feet.

I am completely clueless as to how to manage my diabetes during this period, and would be super grateful for any advice as to basal rates and eating...? I'm on a pump, and current basal rates are:

00:00-04:00 - 0.85 u/h
04:00-08:00 - 0.95
08:00-20:00 - 0.9
20:00-00:00 - 0.5

Also, how do you guys get into the sleep routine for the first night?

And then how to find reverting back to normal again (with insulin, eating and sleep) after you've done nights?

I really would be so grateful for any advice you can give.

Thanks so so much in advance!
i know we are all different -- but as this is something new -- I think you can only learn in real time what will work for you -- your pump will have the ability to set up more than 1 basal program -- find what works for you and create a basal program for when you are in work -- and then switch back to your other program on days off etc -- a pump is pretty quick because there is no residual basal insulin on board, only the IOB from the pump basal rate ( hope this makes sense )

Okulu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I can’t advise regarding your Diabetes, but I worked night shifts for many years prior to my diabetes diagnosis. On the day before the first night, I got up early and rushed around getting organised for the week. My night shifts were Mon, Tues and Wed.
I then tried to take a nap in the afternoon, not always successfully. By the next morning after work I was sufficiently tired to fall asleep quite easily and sleep for around six hours. Switching back the other end I went to bed as soon as I got in from my last shift but set an alarm for four hours, not easy to get up then but took the rest of the day awake but not doing much, so I could sleep that night.

Thanks, that's really helpful!

Okulu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I worked permanent nightshift Sun-thurs for 9 years and I wish I never had done it. Came off nights as I was always tired, but that was the norm. Few .months later I waa diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and I have been told not to go back on nights ever again. The good thing is that my employer knows this and I wont be allowed back on the graveyard shift.

Personally if you can get away from doing nights I would. I know it's not linked with type 1d, but In the back of my mind I think nightshift contributed to the way I am now.

Sorry not much help, but I enjoyed that bit moan.

Thanks, but unfortunately, I have no choice but to do them for the foreseeable future...

Reactions: Jc3131

Okulu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i know we are all different -- but as this is something new -- I think you can only learn in real time what will work for you -- your pump will have the ability to set up more than 1 basal program -- find what works for you and create a basal program for when you are in work -- and then switch back to your other program on days off etc -- a pump is pretty quick because there is no residual basal insulin on board, only the IOB from the pump basal rate ( hope this makes sense )

Yeah, I was planning to do this, and hopefully 4 nights will give me the opportunity to work it out, but I was just wondering if anyone had any advice as to how much things changed when reversing sleep-wake cycle..?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
personally I did not do that well working nights so only did it for about 9 months - I was not on a pump though -- but it messed my sleep patterns up a lot.