working with type 2 diabetes

llandudno1960

at an average how many people with type 2 diabetes manage to keep up a full time job,i really would be interested to know :!: i used to work full time also i was a resident warden in a local sheltered housing estate which included middle of the night call outs, i had to give it up by the time ambulance would arrive for the resident i would be of my feet :!: :!: luckily i have a husband that works fulltime that keeps us going,admittedly my diabetes is not under very good control some days i feel totally tr--h and other days not so bad but there is no way i could work fulltime, would be grateful for any opinions :)

Fraddycat

Hi Llandudno, I work full time, have done since I was diagnosed 2 years ago, in fact I think work stress was probably a contributing factor in my diabetes. I have to work full time coz my husband is in and out of work, but to be fair I love my job and would do everything I could to keep it. I have to do a lot of international travel and its quite hard to keep my levels regular when I am not sure where my next meal is coming from but now that I have the forum for support I now have lots more ideas to try!

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I try to work full time..

But one way or another, i never seem to get full week in.. Maybe 30 hours a week

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am very lucky I don't work, I am a stay at home dad, my wife works full time and has a great job so keeps us both nicely. I would probably not have as good a control of my diabetes if I was at work. I am able to work out in advance what I can eat.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
I would imagine lots of type 1 & 2 Diabetics have full time Jobs, I would go round the twist if it was not for my Job. I love the challenges, battles, liaising, meetings and if I'm honest the pressure of getting the job complete on time. I can forget about my diabetes and get on with it, also I have 4 Boys and the wife who depend on me to keep the wheels on the Bus. I think I would definitely be worse off without my Job and I love it, and it's all I have ever done from apprentice to Manager.

Stevie2tone

Dislikes
Crocs, Bluetooth headsets, Sun newspaper, Injustice, Robert Mugabe, Australian soap operas, Dodgy Casting Agencies and Cotton wool
I have managed to keep a full time job and as well as that have several over working projects going on at same time, plus being in a band, and teaching at weekends. I try not to let my Diabetes get in the way of anything (T2 on oral meds and Lantus). My boss is great and my colleagues are all aware of my condition, but to be honest it is never an issue.

obviously it is different for different people, we are not all the same and of course it will effect us in different ways

Elc1112

Admittedly I am a type 1 so slightly different to you. I've been diabetic sInce I was 6. I work full time. My average working week is 50 plus hours and I do a lot of international travel. My diabetes means I have to watch what I eat. It's definitely not a reason for me not to work.

llandudno1960

well thanks for all your replies i should of mentioned i worked nights (12 hr shifts) 4 to 5 nights a week i just couldnt carry on , i do feel quite a failure reading your posts but i asked for them :!: although now i am considering finding out about any local voluntary work,along side with my dog walks and helping out with my grandchildren,i think it will do me good to have an interest thanks again everyone :)

Stevie2tone

Dislikes
Crocs, Bluetooth headsets, Sun newspaper, Injustice, Robert Mugabe, Australian soap operas, Dodgy Casting Agencies and Cotton wool
Please don't feel a faliure, I was merely pointing out what I have managed to do since being diagnosed. My post was in no way meant to belittle anything you have done, or your circumstances.

Apologies if I have offended, was certainly not my intention

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
llandudno1960 said:
well thanks for all your replies i should of mentioned i worked nights (12 hr shifts) 4 to 5 nights a week i just couldnt carry on , i do feel quite a failure reading your posts but i asked for them :!: although now i am considering finding out about any local voluntary work,along side with my dog walks and helping out with my grandchildren,i think it will do me good to have an interest thanks again everyone :)

You are not a failure, you just got to do what you need to get on top of the diabetes. Everyone is different.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
llandudno1960 said:
at an average how many people with type 2 diabetes manage to keep up a full time job,i really would be interested to know :!: i used to work full time also i was a resident warden in a local sheltered housing estate which included middle of the night call outs, i had to give it up by the time ambulance would arrive for the resident i would be of my feet :!: :!: luckily i have a husband that works fulltime that keeps us going,admittedly my diabetes is not under very good control some days i feel totally tr--h and other days not so bad but there is no way i could work fulltime, would be grateful for any opinions :)

Hi llandudno :wave: I work part-time, out of choice as I am also a carer for my elderly dad and have an 11 yr old to look after, so I am on my own. Have you thought of working part-time? I'm sure an employer would would be pleased to have you. I'm Type 1, for over 20 years now. Good luck and best wishes RRB

llandudno1960

no need to apologize Stevietone really i haven't been offended i was interested to know how people managed with their daily lives whilst managing diabetes , like you say everyone is different, some mornings i have to drag myself around my dog walk route but i know how good it is for me so i have determination,just wish i could have as much re my diet :!:

tree-peony

same here Stevie... I just adore my job... it's who I am, and the thought of not being able to do it anymore scares me to death :(

Stevie2tone

Dislikes
tree-peony said:
same here Stevie... I just adore my job... it's who I am, and the thought of not being able to do it anymore scares me to death :(

Exactly, I also love my job, well all my jobs really. On the very rare occasion I have day off with nothing planned, I go out of my head with boredom!!

llandudno1960

yes thanks for that robinredbreast i have thought about it quite a bit im just really scared cause some days i feel so terrible (i know its when my sugar levels go high) the only kind of work i have ever done is a carer and that can be quite strenuous work, but i do think i need to do something :) :)

iggy-lil

Dislikes
rude people
Dont feel guilty or I will be joining you on that guilt trip.I feel guilty everyday especially when hubby gets up early for work and works so hard but he keeps telling me to stop worrying. :|

Up until Nov last year I was working full time (self employed) then one of my contracts came to an end so hubby and I deceided because I had been so tired that I would go part time for a few months. We just couldnt work out the tirdness even when I had been off work for a few months it was still there...fast forward to April and found out why -Type 2.

I work with children - I love my job , but there is no way I would commit myself to working full time with them at the moment,I work the odd full day here and there but not a full week. Too scared of letting folks down if I am to tired to care for their children (I sometimes feel like Im drunk ). So in the mean time I am carrying on working part time with the older children and hopefully as my GP keeps saying my tiredness should lift. So hope so and it better be soon as I have now had enough :evil:

llandudno1960

thanks iggy lil, that is just how i feel at times drunk so worn out like you said i wouldnt like to let anyone down if i got a job,my hubby like yours always tells me not to worry, but i do watching him get up early every morning for work,i just know how people manage though, i admire them though. once again thanks :)

A

Anonymous

I only found out recently i was diabetic but Doc had signed me off work back in January for other reasons, I will be going back to work as soon as I can from the docs perspective as I really hate being stuck at home. I cant imagine how anyone can live off state benefits, it kills me, £65 a week...Ive always worked, so really find it hard financially not having a proper income now...Its a case of buy groceries or pay bills...Sometimes one outweighs the other, hence why I ate so much garbage in first place, was cheap and convenient, I feel guilty too scrounging off the state, feels like i dont have a right to be doing it ...But, thats the way life is for me, no man at home to bring an income in, its a struggle.